Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 01:57 AM

60 posts, read 80,842 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Why do most of any street level shots I see with people walking around of DT LA look like it has poor people shopping for groceries and cheapo stores everywhere?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:28 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
The O/P said to exclude mountains and scenery and base it off city architecture and infrastructure, yet there are many people basing their opinion off scenery.

Chicago easily takes this one if you don't factor that one in.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:43 PM

507 posts, read 806,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Why do most of any street level shots I see with people walking around of DT LA look like it has poor people shopping for groceries and cheapo stores everywhere?
Because that's who lives there, duh

Old 08-04-2013, 12:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Really?

Old 08-04-2013, 02:50 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Guess it kills the stereotype that L.A. is full of fakes.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:51 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
I agree that in the architectural Dept. Chicago has more to offer
That said it dosn't mean that LA doesn't have some bright spots in architecture either.
This is are some pictures I took while doing a walking tour of Downtown LA

Where is that Statue of Liberty mural?

Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 PM

60 posts, read 80,842 times
That's the corner of Olympic and Main street
However the mural is no longer there, I took that shot over a year ago.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:46 AM

78 posts, read 126,180 times
Whoa Whoa WHOA! I can't believe that anybody would pick Los Angeles over Chicago ever??? What the heck?.....

Ok we are talking about built environment here, sighhh...

Sorry guys, but NO! I have lived in LA my whole life and the downtown does have a few beautiful buildings but it's downtown is very small compared to the center of Chicago. I used to go to Broadway to see the theater palaces from the 1930's and Grand to see the modern skyscrapers on Bunker Hill and the large buildings of the music center but really......that's about it in terms of grand architecture. Out side of the downtown things turn real ugly real fast!

LA has a different kind of architecture that doesn't really impress me....my architecture professors always tell me that LA is a city with architectural gems that are spread out with monotonous single family housing generally filling in the gaps. My class organizes trips to see the homes of Schindler and Neutra but.....again, their projects are like diamonds in the rough.

Chicago has a greater downtown area and the area has undeniably been more influential on American architecture. Particularly with the skyscraper and it's steel frame. Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies Van Der Rohe, Helmut Janh, and SOM are giants that hailed from Chicago. LA currently has Frank Gehry, Eric Owen Moss, and Morphosis but still...there work is scattered that it's hard to stand back and look at LA to see it as cohesive architecturally amazing city.

Chicago's grand architecture is so well centered in one area that it looks mind blowing!

I think Chicago is a neater city in terms of built environment.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:28 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm92 View Post
Whoa Whoa WHOA! I can't believe that anybody would pick Los Angeles over Chicago ever??? What the heck?.....

Ok we are talking about built environment here, sighhh...

Sorry guys, but NO! I have lived in LA my whole life and the downtown does have a few beautiful buildings but it's downtown is very small compared to the center of Chicago. I used to go to Broadway to see the theater palaces from the 1930's and Grand to see the modern skyscrapers on Bunker Hill and the large buildings of the music center but really......that's about it in terms of grand architecture. Out side of the downtown things turn real ugly real fast!

LA has a different kind of architecture that doesn't really impress me....my architecture professors always tell me that LA is a city with architectural gems that are spread out with monotonous single family housing generally filling in the gaps. My class organizes trips to see the homes of Schindler and Neutra but.....again, their projects are like diamonds in the rough.

Chicago has a greater downtown area and the area has undeniably been more influential on American architecture. Particularly with the skyscraper and it's steel frame. Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies Van Der Rohe, Helmut Janh, and SOM are giants that hailed from Chicago. LA currently has Frank Gehry, Eric Owen Moss, and Morphosis but still...there work is scattered that it's hard to stand back and look at LA to see it as cohesive architecturally amazing city.

Chicago's grand architecture is so well centered in one area that it looks mind blowing!

I think Chicago is a neater city in terms of built environment.
When I say I prefer Los Angeles, I am obviously referring to non-downtown architecture. Yes Chicago is heads and shoulders above Los Angeles when it comes to Loop vs. DTLA. Personally I am way more into the everyday architecture of cities and their inner residential neighborhoods.

I have no problem with you preferring Chicago, but I am getting sick of people thinking that people that prefer Los Angeles are crazy / don't know what they are talking about / are homers.

Grapico - some of the most spectacular architectural streets in downtown Los Angeles are just now recovering from a decades-long collapse. For dozens of years Main, Broadway, Spring were pretty much abandoned and the only tenants were either swap-meet style retail or sweatshops. Though things have changed significantly, there is still a high proportion of these low-end retail stores. The reason they are still there is in part because they actually receive business from locals. It is pretty well-established that the neighborhoods that ring DTLA are lower-income. If anything those pictures show that people do a lot of walking and transit-riding for their day-to-day tasks in Los Angeles, despite the stereotypes. If you took a picture of Spring Street in the Historic Core today, it would probably be 3/4 people that look just like you, and 1/4 "poors".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City