Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 03:45 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Well, it does make sense. You'd want to make things as close to you as possible in a freezing cold or humid area. Who wants to walk long stretches through that?
It's not really because of cold, it's becuase they tend to be older and have been developed longer. But my point it, that with cities like LA and SD that have such wonderful weather, they really should have more people walking out and about. People tout how the weather is so much better, yet when you drive in many parts of LA and most of SD you would think differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:04 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
But this is my thing though. When I think walkable I like it to mean that I see other people walking around me as well, that everything is close and aesthetically pleasing. That if I decide I don't want to walk, there is always a bus or train stop near by. I am not thinking of the weather.

I much rather walk on a dense vibrant street with people shopping and out and about at 32 degrees than walking with almost no one else around with strip malls surrounding me all around me at 70 degrees.

I think people in warmer climates treat the cold as it's some deadly virus. If millions of people in this country and across the world can live in cities that have cold climates and walk, then really the question comes down to adaptablity. Either man up or stop fearing the cold. Our ancestors handled the ice age and we can't handle walking down 5-6 blocks at 32 degrees? Give me a break!
+2 BEST COMMENT ON THIS ENTIRE FORUM!

Applause Crowd Cheering sound effect - YouTube

Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Eh but you can do it from May to September in Chicago as well. I understand it's your preference.

But there is also something special in October where you walk around in a sweater on a sunny day with all the fall foilage around you and crunching the leaves as you walk and seeing kids playing in the leaves.

Or in April when everything is coming back to life and all the trees you pass by are coming back to life, birds singing, baby animals emerge and scatter as you approach them.

Or in December I will never forget, a few days before Christmas, I was walking in downtown Chicago with all the Christmas decorations out, Christmans shoppers packing the streets, Christmas music, and it started snowing and it was truly one of the most beautiful experiences ever. Stopping at the German market to get a hot chocolate and take in all the snow falling, the people walking buying xmas gifts, the music playing. It was magical.

To me those are walking experiences that SoCal can never provide. To each their own and I love SoCal, I just hate it when people view the seasons as this horrid and virus like epidemic that plagues the colder climate cities.
I absolutely love autumn attire. I think it's the best kind of seasonal fashion out there!

And you just best described the true beauty of 'four season' weather! I NEED MY COLORFUL FOILAGE

Old 08-13-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Oh come on but it's not the same. This is like saying LA has palm trees and someone from Houston says oh yeah we have that experience too. It's not the same.

In LA it's not all over the place. In places like Chicago and NYC about 95% of the trees shed their leaves in the fall, creating a total experience. I mean you don't see this in LA:

Fall Colours - Chicago Waterfront by teachandlearn, on Flickr

Chicago: Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool by Ron Reason, on Flickr

Honey Locust Trees on the Lake by zenia, on Flickr
+3 From the looks of other pictures, I would say New England might have the best fall foliage. But those Chicago Autumn pics are pretty nice though

Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 PM

484 posts, read 871,498 times
Quote:
Oh come on but it's not the same. This is like saying LA has palm trees and someone from Houston says oh yeah we have that experience too. It's not the same.

In LA it's not all over the place. In places like Chicago and NYC about 95% of the trees shed their leaves in the fall, creating a total experience. I mean you don't see this in LA:

Fall Colours - Chicago Waterfront by teachandlearn, on Flickr

Chicago: Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool by Ron Reason, on Flickr

Honey Locust Trees on the Lake by zenia, on Flickr
You can refer to my post in this thread to see LA's fall foliage: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...l#post30932084

Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
I didn't realize so many people in LA hated Chicago. I don't know why, insecure that people consider Chicago to be more walkable than LA?
This is city data. IRL Chicago almost never comes up in normal conversation out here, but when it does it's mostly positive comments from people that have been there. But in my experience not many people from LA have ever been to Chicago compared to NYC or SF. Could just be me, but Chicago is pretty much off the radar within my social circle. Really the only cities that I hear about in my circle (unless someone is from there) are California cities, Portland, Seattle, Texas cities, Atlanta, and maybe DC.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
You can refer to my post in this thread to see LA's fall foliage: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...l#post30932084
I am sorry, but you still can't compare Autumn in LA to autumn in NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc. It's not the same and yeah this pics show there certainly is notable foilage but it's nowhere near as much as the colder climate cities. The entire cities lose their leaves, just not half or some of them.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:47 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
I am sorry, but you still can't compare Autumn in LA to autumn in NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc. It's not the same and yeah this pics show there certainly is notable foilage but it's nowhere near as much as the colder climate cities. The entire cities lose their leaves, just not half or some of them.
People are really reaching now aren't they!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
I was the very one who thought I would miss autum when I moved to LA but that went out the window fast. LA is beautiful in the fall. Not many deciduious trees but clear blue skies, cool crisp nights and a continuious array of beautiful fall flowers and shrubs. So yes I love fall back east but after the leaves fall everything is brown and bare. No flowers anywhere. No green. Fall and winter is actually my favorite time of year in LA.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:33 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I was the very one who thought I would miss autum when I moved to LA but that went out the window fast. LA is beautiful in the fall. Not many deciduious trees but clear blue skies, cool crisp nights and a continuious array of beautiful fall flowers and shrubs. So yes I love fall back east but after the leaves fall everything is brown and bare. No flowers anywhere. No green. Fall and winter is actually my favorite time of year in LA.
Me too. That is when I tend to go on ridiculously-long walks, like from Hollywood / Vine to the Pacific Design Center and back. The weather is so perfect, even a sweaty guy like me can walk for miles on end without breaking a sweat.

In fact, I sort of dislike this time of the year in Los Angeles. Never rains, kinda hazy, too hot (and it is stickier than you'd think), the ****-smell really starts to kick up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City