Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 04:23 PM

215 posts, read 475,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Oh wait come one guys, so many of you claim what horrible weather we have in Chicago so. So y'all are now claiming that LA outdoor environment is worse than Chicago when it comes to walking? Come on, now I think I have heard everything
I love how you try and twist someone's words you been doing this entire thread. Chicago weather is horrible compared to LA. I just gave another or Shall I save my personal opinion to perhaps a reason why some choose not to walk. I do believe it's a fact that the sun rays are stronger in the southern hemisphere. So to those of us with sensitive skin that could be a problem. If you have closely observed the people in LA compared to Chicago you notice that white people tend to be a lot browner here than where you live. No everyone here don't go to the tanning booth. I'm mixed race Black and Mexican American and fair skin. I certainly much browner living in LA then I was living in Chicago. Even my niece when she comes here every summer her skin is almost white. But when she leaves she is really brown and this is in an area where it really doesn't get that hot she stays with her dad in Huntington Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No, I didn't say that nor did anyone else other than LA Fan. LA Fan is entitled to his/her opinions but they are not mine.

I just agreed that the sun can be quite uncomfortable in the summer in Los Angeles - but there is relief from the sun in the form of shade (as LA Fan mentioned). I'd still take that 9 times out of 10 over Chicago's inescapable humidity.
Only 9 out 10? We are talking "hot wet blanket wrapped around you" type of humdity here. 10/10 for me.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Only 9 out 10? We are talking "hot wet blanket wrapped around you" type of humdity here. 10/10 for me.
Yeah okay 10 times out of 10

Old 08-19-2013, 04:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
I love how you try and twist someone's words you been doing this entire thread. Chicago weather is horrible compared to LA. I just gave another or Shall I save my personal opinion to perhaps a reason why some choose not to walk. I do believe it's a fact that the sun rays are stronger in the southern hemisphere. So to those of us with sensitive skin that could be a problem. If you have closely observed the people in LA compared to Chicago you notice that white people tend to be a lot browner here than where you live. No everyone here don't go to the tanning booth. I'm mixed race Black and Mexican American and fair skin. I certainly much browner living in LA then I was living in Chicago. Even my niece when she comes here every summer her skin is almost white. But when she leaves she is really brown and this is in an area where it really doesn't get that hot she stays with her dad in Huntington Beach.

Lol that is true when I moved Fromfl to Chicago I was probably one of the tannest white guys around a lot of people in Chicago can be pasty white

Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Where does everyone get that Chicago summers are horried. I can name a dozen cities that have significantly worse summers than us:

Miami, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, New Orleans, DC, NYC, Las Vegas, Atlanta and Philly.

I am starting to think that Cali weather makes you all weak when it comes to weather. Is Chicago more humid than LA? Yeah. Is it an unbearable nasty heat? Uhm no. Maybe like 14 days out of the entire summer are, but outside of that it is low to high 80's here. Apparently y'all are too sensitive to weather.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Where does everyone get that Chicago summers are horried. I can name a dozen cities that have significantly worse summers than us:

Miami, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, New Orleans, DC, NYC, Las Vegas, Atlanta and Philly.

I am starting to think that Cali weather makes you all weak when it comes to weather. Is Chicago more humid than LA? Yeah. Is it an unbearable nasty heat? Uhm no. Maybe like 14 days out of the entire summer are, but outside of that it is low to high 80's here. Apparently y'all are too sensitive to weather.
Hell yeah I am. Can't stand freezing weather and can't stand humidity. I can deal with them short term, but the LA weather has me extremely spoiled now. Can't help it. It's hard for the climates of other areas to live up.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:11 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Hell yeah I am. Can't stand freezing weather and can't stand humidity. I can deal with them short term, but the LA weather has me extremely spoiled now. Can't help it. It's hard for the climates of other areas to live up.
I can see that.

It's just for people who live outside the "ideal" year long weather SoCal has, Chicago is considered to have great summers temps wise. We have our dog days but that is only like 15%-20% of the time.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Meh. I've been rather disappointed by my first LA summer. Seems like it's been almost at or in the 90s every day downtown. Gets old fast esp when you need to wear a suit. But then again I'm spoiled by San Diego. Lack of humidity is nice in LA but I don't see a huge difference between the extent to which I am uncomfortable by the heat in LA vs Chicago.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Meh. I've been rather disappointed by my first LA summer. Seems like it's been almost at or in the 90s every day downtown. Gets old fast esp when you need to wear a suit. But then again I'm spoiled by San Diego. Lack of humidity is nice in LA but I don't see a huge difference between the extent to which I am uncomfortable by the heat in LA vs Chicago.
This seemed odd, so I had to check; the temp has not reached 90 degrees in DTLA since July 1, and does not exceed 82 in the 10 day forecast. The average high during this time has been about 80. Those temps are taken at USC.

Are you wearing a wool suit?

Last edited by nslander; 08-19-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 PM

215 posts, read 475,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
This seemed odd, so I had to check; the temp has not reached 90 degrees in DTLA since July 1, and does not exceed 82 in the 10 day forecast. The average high during this time has been about 80. Those temps are taken at USC.

Are you wearing a wool suit?
Ditto,

It's been rather cool this summer, and especially August when it normally gets hot. Granted I lived near the beach in Long Beach it's not as warm but it's warmer than other beach cities in southern California. I haven't even ran the air condition this summer and still sleeping under a blanket. Believe me I'm not complaining because I hate the heat. Now watch come September and October it will be hot as hell.

Now Chicago isn't as bad as St Louis, Kansas City, or anywhere in Texas. But from my experience living there in the summer, it's still awful compared to LA summers. The freaking rain drove me crazy too, it was never a real sunny day in the summer, only partly sunny with big puffy white clouds that created that nasty humidity.

Perhaps it could just be this person is not used to the intense feeling from the sun we feel in this region. Just stay in the shade and he'll be find, perhaps it can be a bit chilly at times. Oh btw San Diego is only cool on the coast, it gets just as hot in the interior valleys. Personally to me San Diego feels bit more sticky than Los Angeles, although the city of LA certainly gets warmer and our air is more polluted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City