Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:04 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
Honestly when i think of L.A's architecture I like comparing it to Houston and even Dallas. Its nice but nothing special.

Add some palm tree's and its inhabitants believe they have world class architecture Lol.
Anyone who equates L.A. to Dallas in the category of architecture is essentially taking a bullhorn and announcing, as loud as they can, for all to hear, that they know nothing about the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 AM

229 posts, read 468,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Anyone who equates L.A. to Dallas in the category of architecture is essentially taking a bullhorn and announcing, as loud as they can, for all to hear, that they know nothing about the subject.
Very true, Ill take Dallas urban architecture in its city proper over L.A any day.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:08 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I often find that when talking about LA and its pros, a lot of people resort to bringing up other areas within LA's metro region or within LA County. For example, LA is great because Santa Barbara is nearby. Okay, but that's not LA and only LA. That's like me saying NYC is great because the Hamptons are near it. Or like you said, saying Michigan's west coast makes Chicago so wonderful.

As for the topic, Chicago is by far more beautiful than LA architecture wise. No contest, really.
There really is no reason to bring up areas outside of Los Angeles when it has so many architecturally beautiful and interesting neighborhoods throughout the city. More than any other north american city imo.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:03 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
No surprise there. The fact that you prefer war zones over, you know, safe cities, says a lot about your taste:

More Murders in Chicago in 2012 Than Allied Losses in Afghanistan - Fox Nation
LA old school gansta NWA style....roll'in 60s..WS!!!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
There really is no reason to bring up areas outside of Los Angeles when it has so many architecturally beautiful and interesting neighborhoods throughout the city. More than any other north american city imo.
This is going down as the joke of the week. Thanks for the stand-up comedy. :-)

Old 07-27-2013, 08:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Instead of bashing the other city, discussing murder rates, how about actually showing (links, no hotlinking to copyright photos!) photos of beautiful parts of either city so you could convince us?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:49 AM

229 posts, read 468,607 times
Quote:
No surprise there. The fact that you prefer war zones over, you know, safe cities, says a lot about your taste:

More Murders in Chicago in 2012 Than Allied Losses in Afghanistan - Fox Nation
Perhaps we both live in two war zones? Lol
Homicide map - Homicide Report - Los Angeles Times

Now this is where it stops for me, I'm going to stick with the original topic but i do understand your reasoning for changing it. Seeing as you know that you have no proper web link to illustrate how L.A's architecture is superior to Chicago's.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Anyone interested in talking about the OP instead of insulting each other?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:33 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
Perhaps we both live in two war zones? Lol

Now this is where it stops for me, I'm going to stick with the original topic but i do understand your reasoning for changing it. Seeing as you know that you have no proper web link to illustrate how L.A's architecture is superior to Chicago's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody;[B
30687597]Perhaps we both live in two war zones? Lol[/b]

Perhaps we don't. Los Angeles, with over a million more residents, had 200 FEWER homicides than Chicago in 2012. I'll let you calculate the rate. Returning to the subject, Los Angeles has nothing that resembles the urban decay of the South Side (it was a great stand in for Hue in "Full Metal Jacket" btw. Props). Since you're all just dying to keep the focus on The Loop.

L.A. has been setting trends in residential and commercial architecture for a while now, it is actually a giant in that regard. A lot of posters seem to think that architecture begins and ends with skyscraper design, but they're wrong. You've probably stepped inside a home in where the design originated from Los Angeles. ALL OF YOU. The famous terminal at JFK airport features an architectural style that was born in Los Angeles. It is sprinkled in every city in the U.S. Some of the best architecture schools are located here, and some of the best architects are based here. Frank Gehry anyone? Morphosis? Equating L.A. architecture to Dallas, even in jest, is highly ignorant. But that's par for the course on this board.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 07-27-2013 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Instead of bashing the other city, discussing murder rates, how about actually showing (links, no hotlinking to copyright photos!) photos of beautiful parts of either city so you could convince us?
anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City