Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these cities?
Houston 54 33.13%
Atlanta 55 33.74%
Dallas 27 16.56%
Phoenix 15 9.20%
Charlotte 12 7.36%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:12 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I agree, but it kind of evens out given that Dallas, Travis, Bexar, and El Paso counties offer benefits.

Im not trying to imply Houston is less gay friendly than those, but the county measurements even it out.
Those counties are also much smaller and contain less conservative areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:13 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
I dated a girl in Ahwatukee for a good deal of time and used to go back and forth from LA to Phoenix spending lots of time going out in Scottsdale and visiting friends in the city. My mothers best friend lived in Phoenix as well and we used to drive out there frequently.

I can agree and disagree at the same time. Phoenix and Arizona are probably more socially liberal than Texas as a whole. That said, I still dont think the difference is much at all. Lets look at the main issues:

Guns: Texas and Arizona are both very pro-gun

Gay Friendly: If we take subjectivity out of it, the following is true:

-Niether state has benefits at the state wide level
-The cities of Phoenix (2009), Tucson (2003), Dallas (2006), Austin (2006), Fort Worth (2009), San Antonio (2011), and El Paso (2011).
-The counties of Maricopa and Pima in Arizona, as well as El Paso, Bexar, Travis, and Dallas in Texas offer domestic partner benefits.
-The glaring hole is that Houston offers none of the above, but considering they elected a gay mayor, I dont think we can throw them under the bus. Likewise, Dallas has a gay sheriff, Austin and Fort Worth have gay councilmen. Im sure Phoenix and Tucson have had gay elected officials, but since I dont know who they are, I wont comment.
-Both Arizona and Texas have had high ranking public officials try to strike down the cities domestic partnership laws.

So which state is more friendly? I can see Arizona having an edge because I think a few of the smaller towns are more accepting of gays than in Texas (I forgot Sedona in a previous post). But as far as comparing the cities to each other, there is no difference.

Immigration: Arizona is far more conservative than Texas on immigration issues. Look at what the Arpaio and Brewer have done in Arizona. Find me something similar in Texas, because I sure cant. The closest was the threat to eleminate sanctuary cities. That bill died a quiet death in the Republican dominated state senate. I think its partially because Texas is already a minority majority state including 38% Hispanic and Texas is pro-big business at all costs (which loves cheap labor from Mexico). Thats too many people to make angry, thus Texas actually has one of the most liberal immigration views in the US.

Abortion: According to a Gallup poll, 54% of Texans think abortion should be legal in at least some circumstances. I cannot find a number for Arizona. If anyone wants to post it, Ill listen. Until someone provides it, we cant really compare. Though, I suspect both Texas and Arizona are more pro-life than the nation average.

In the end, I dont accept that there is a huge difference between the two politically.
Why are you bringing up immigration as a social issue in these states? BTW, it is the illegal immigration issue that you should be talking about. This has always been a fiscal issue rather than a social one. It didn't become a social issue until the liberal media helped to make it one.

BTW, (I don't know HOW many times I have to repeat this) Janet Napolitano (when governor of AZ) along with the governors of CA, NM, and TX were ALL sending letters to the US Government to start paying the tab for what these states and their tax-payers ended up paying to educate, hospitalize, and incarcerate illegal immigrants. The US government ignored these requests. When Janet from another planet became Secretary of Homeland Security, Jan Brewer pretty much continued this process were Janet left off. Meanwhile, Janet suddenly proclaimed how much more secure the border is now, which still did nothing to pay the bills that AZ taxpayers were burdened with.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Those counties are also much smaller and contain less conservative areas.
Well, no actually. The city of Houston is smaller and has fewer conservative areas than Dallas county. Bexar, Travis, and El Paso not as much.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Well, no actually. The city of Houston is smaller and has fewer conservative areas than Dallas county. Bexar, Travis, and El Paso not as much.
I'm talking about Harris County compared to the other counties.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
I'm talking about Harris County.
But look at Dallas county which has 2.4 million people and 900 square miles.

The city of Houston has 2.1 million people in 600 square miles.

Dallas county has more conservative areas than the city of Houston. Yet, Dallas county has domestic partner benefits and a non-descrimiation ordinence protecting LGBT employees. Houston has niether.

Im not trying to say Houston is not gay friendly, but I am curious as to why that is the case.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Dallas county has more conservative areas than the city of Houston. Yet, Dallas county has domestic partner benefits and a non-descrimiation ordinence protecting LGBT employees. Houston has niether.

Im not trying to say Houston is not gay friendly, but I am curious as to why that is the case.
Look at the way the limits are drawn. Dallas County, while larger, is still more concentrated towards the core. The City of Houston, on the other hand, contains far flung suburban areas like Kingwood and Clear Lake. It can hardly be said that Dallas County, on the whole, has more conservative areas than the City of Houston.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Meh, Arizona is not near as liberal as the Bay Area or the Pac NW. Niether are Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta. None of the above are similar to the Bay or Seattle politically.

In my experience, Phoenix and Arizona are actually far more conservative on immigration issues than Dallas or Houston, and Texas. Gay friendly areas in Texas and Arizona are limited to urban (and some suburban) areas in cities like Austin, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Tucson, and San Antonio. The rest of Texas and Arizona doesnt exactly throw out the welcome mat to gays. As far as abortion goes, Texas is extremely hard line, but Arizona isnt exactly a bastion of pro choice.

The only thing about Texas that would be more conservative is that Texas is more churchy. However, as far as politics are concerned, I cant see a big difference in voting patterns.
You can actually find gay clubs and bars in Texas outside of major cities. I don't know why people are quick to paint small towns as backwards and ignorant. Gays aren't getting beat and lynched on a regular in these places you know. They're actually living lives just like they live lives in big cities.

Quote:
In the days of Buckhead Village, I'd say that Atlanta had the significant edge, but today I'm not seeing major differences.

When you say the words "Houston" and "nightlife", many likely think of this:

Cotton Eyed Joe by Asleep at the Wheel - YouTube

It's one thing to think; it's another to experience. Simply posting up videos won't do any city justice because I could find videos of the wackiest clubs in Houston that would you make you think otherwise.

Quote:

That 600 sq miles is not as cut and dry as it seems. Houston limits skip over certain areas to incorporate. Meaning, the city limits extend farther out into the suburbs. It's not concentrated.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You can actually find gay clubs and bars in Texas outside of major cities. I don't know why people are quick to paint small towns as backwards and ignorant. Gays aren't getting beat and lynched on a regular in these places you know. They're actually living lives just like they live lives in big cities.

It's one thing to think; it's another to experience. Simply posting up videos won't do any city justice because I could find videos of the wackiest clubs in Houston that would you make you think otherwise.

That 600 sq miles is not as cut and dry as it seems. Houston limits skip over certain areas to incorporate. Meaning, the city limits extend farther out into the suburbs. It's not concentrated.
I don't get what you mean.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
I don't get what you mean.
I can't get anymore specific than what I said. You either get it, or you don't.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:04 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
In the days of Buckhead Village, I'd say that Atlanta had the significant edge, but today I'm not seeing major differences.

When you say the words "Houston" and "nightlife", many likely think of this:

Cotton Eyed Joe by Asleep at the Wheel - YouTube
Sorry but you are just mnot familiar with the nightlife scene as of late.I'd say its easily better than ever.
The difference it has more districts that are equally as popular;

Edgewood/Auburn Ave District-
Noni's,
Mom's,
Sister Louisa's Church and Ping Pong Emporium,
Sound Table,
Joy Stick,
Circa Cafe,
The Corner Tavern
Harolds Chicken(Open late)
There is a Pizza joint open late as well but I cannot remember the name

Crecent Ave District-
Opera
Sutra
Cosmalava
Ultra Lounge
Front Page News(resturant/Bar open tilll3am)
Flip Flops
Steamhouse Lounge(late restuarant/bar)

Ansley Area
Burkharts,
Oscars
The Hideaway

Cheshire Bridge-Heretic,Masters,Several gay clubs and Sex Shops/strip clubs open all night(I ve heard of course.)

Buckhead Village-Still several bars and clubs like
Prohibition,
Hole In the Wall,
Havanna Club

Midtown Area off Peachtree and 6th street area are at least 10 club/bars/resturants that stay open late within a few blocks

Then there is the East Atlanta Village area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYkoOM1kco
All thses areas are crowded each night with people in the streets just like the old Buckhead VIllage.

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=nigh...+Atlanta%2C+GA
Most of the clubs in the old Buckhead Village either move to Midtown or around the corner off East Paces Ferry which STILL get the frat boy and girl types.

I forgot to mention Va-Highlands also.
Yeh.Just not seeing what you are talking about at all.

Last edited by afonega1; 08-01-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City