Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you Prefer?
Bellevue 43 58.11%
Oakland 31 41.89%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:25 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
A black person might feel the same way about Bellevue.

Only if they were quite delusional... in the last 5 years, Oakland has had 491 people murdered and Bellevue has had 6 murders in the same time frame. When you're crime rate is as low as Bellevue's, it's a good thing. If it's as high as Oakland, it's a bad thing.

I don't think these cities are very comparable...Oakland has been the crime capital of the West Coast for decades but is starting to gentrify and kick out the poor blacks that once were the majority of the population. Bellevue has changed from a middle/upper middle class suburb to a kind of real wealthy city with jobs, shopping, and still with super low crime rates and excellent schools. To me, Bellevue is idyllic, only 'advantages' of Oakland are you're much more likely to get shot, murdered, and finish school not knowing how to read or count to 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 04:30 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzardsAndSuch View Post
He presented an opinion that you didn't like so you called him an uncle Tom. That's childish beyond belief; veer off the victimhood narrative for one moment and suddenly you're not a real black person in the eyes of 18Montclair. I didn't expect much more than that to be honest though, based on your post history.

Also, I would think a proud Stanford graduate would understand that Bellevue is more wealthy per-capita, but in your previous posts you were talking about raw numbers without adjusting for the fact that Oakland is 3 times more populous than Bellevue.

Personally, with higher crime rates and less wealth, I can comfortably say that I would feel more comfortable walking around Bellevue than Oakland. I am a hiker though so the lack of walkable neighborhoods doesn't bother me as much as it might bother you.
Okay thanks.

( tip: how does one respond to cringeworthy male PMS posts? a: just thank them and move on. there's no point)

Old 08-23-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Only if they were quite delusional
Please dont try to tell people who belong to historically persecuted groups that their innate unease about being in sterile, predominantly white environments far from diversity, is 'delusion'--that exposes your privilege.

And it's interesting how you all rush to defend the ignorant statement I was responding when clearly you have zero clue about Oakland+walkability.

Speaking of which, Bellevue is NOT walkable. It's a car dependent, tract home suburb
www.walkscore.com/WA/Bellevue

On the other hand, Oakland is the 9th most walkable city in the country, just behind number 8 Seattle.

The Nation's Most-Walkable Cities Got Even More Walkable in 2016 - Walk Score Blog

LOL

Quote:
... in the last 5 years, Oakland has had 491 people murdered and Bellevue has had 6 murders in the same time frame. When you're crime rate is as low as Bellevue's, it's a good thing. If it's as high as Oakland, it's a bad thing.
Okay, but Oakland still has plenty of upscale, vibrant non downtown areas that Bellevue cannot match. At all

And all this talk of crime is meaningless to the hipsters, techies and artists flooding into Oakland as we speak.

Quote:
only 'advantages' of Oakland are you're much more likely to get shot, murdered
To many people, death would be preferable to living in a boring, sterile, cookie cutter suburb that has a snazzy mall.

Quote:
and finish school not knowing how to read or count to 100.
Haha I doubt you nor your spawn would test high enough to be admitted into Oakland's best school.

Top Private Day Schools in the US
1 Trinity School, New York
2 Roxbury Latin, Boston
3 Brearley School, New York
4 Horace Mann School, New York
5 Winsor School, Boston
6 College Prepatory School, Oakland
7 Collegiate School, New York
8 Spence School, New York
9 Harvard-Westlake School, Los Angeles
10 Dalton School, New York

The 50 Best Private Day Schools in the United States | The Best Schools

/boom

Old 08-23-2016, 05:43 PM

54 posts, read 63,643 times
Quote:
Okay thanks.

( tip: how does one respond to cringeworthy male PMS posts? a: just thank them and move on. there's no point)
How does one know when the person they're talking to has no substantive argument? When they can't refute a single thing you've said and resort to calling others "cringeworthy" unironically.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
How does one...
Stopped reading after this. Ive exceeded the daily amount of cattiness I allow myself to be exposed to.

Try again tomorrow.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:51 PM

54 posts, read 63,643 times
Quote:
Okay thanks.

( tip: how does one ...

Funny because you just commented similarly LOL
Must be hard to keep up with your own hypocrisy when you're as active in catty posts as 18M.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Funny because you just commented similarly LOL
Okay thanks, meow.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:03 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Please dont try to tell people who belong to historically persecuted groups that their innate unease about being in sterile, predominantly white environments far from diversity, is 'delusion'--that exposes your privilege.

And it's interesting how you all rush to defend the ignorant statement I was responding when clearly you have zero clue about Oakland+walkability.

Speaking of which, Bellevue is NOT walkable. It's a car dependent, tract home suburb
www.walkscore.com/WA/Bellevue

On the other hand, Oakland is the 9th most walkable city in the country, just behind number 8 Seattle.

The Nation's Most-Walkable Cities Got Even More Walkable in 2016 - Walk Score Blog

LOL

Okay, but Oakland still has plenty of upscale, vibrant non downtown areas that Bellevue cannot match. At all

And all this talk of crime is meaningless to the hipsters, techies and artists flooding into Oakland as we speak.

To many people, death would be preferable to living in a boring, sterile, cookie cutter suburb that has a snazzy mall.

Haha I doubt you nor your spawn would test high enough to be admitted into Oakland's best school.

Top Private Day Schools in the US
1 Trinity School, New York
2 Roxbury Latin, Boston
3 Brearley School, New York
4 Horace Mann School, New York
5 Winsor School, Boston
6 College Prepatory School, Oakland
7 Collegiate School, New York
8 Spence School, New York
9 Harvard-Westlake School, Los Angeles
10 Dalton School, New York

The 50 Best Private Day Schools in the United States | The Best Schools

/boom
Nice to converse with the person who speaks for all blacks, hipsters, techies and artists (who also denigrates those same people if they don't agree with his opinion)....so how are they all doing besides a huge desire to live in Oakland?

Seriously, I know that Oakland has charm and many are choosing to move there and accept the crime risk and I do love the climate of that area.

About that prep school, I'm not an elitist and would have zero desire to attend an elite school like that regardless of whether or not I qualified to attend there.

You crazy comments like people prefer death to living in Bellevue is colorful and comical but ultimately just silly and racist.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:44 AM

591 posts, read 819,679 times
Montclair versus the world

Old 08-24-2016, 11:47 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Now, venture away from the downtown area...........especially at night...........
Lol

You clearly know nothing about Oakland if you think downtown is the only safe area. A huge chunk of Oakland is just as safe as Bellevue. I go outside at night all the time, and have never had a problem. Of course that's because I don't live in the ghetto, but i don't live in downtown or the fancy-pants hills or anything either.

Contrast that to my time living in SF (which has a weird stereotype among many of being extra safe), where i was attempted robbed twice, where most of family members have been robbed, where i've had acquaintances murdered, where i've heard gunfire multiple times, etc (some that stuff happened in nice areas too). Yet clueless people will warn me about my neighborhood in Oakland ("oh no are you sure you want to walk home from the bus at night????"), while they remain oblivious to crime issues in their own SF neighborhood. Things aren't as simple and black and white as stereotypes and some city-wide crime stats would have you believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post

As for Oakland... Let's just say the very first day I ever spent in Oakland I actually witnessed a gang with guns being chased on foot by police. Unfortunately, I'm telling the truth. I really want Oakland to be an amazing city. I think it easily has the potential to be great. The downside, though, is that there is still a lot of low end folk who bring the city down.
Oakland is a great city in many ways. That's unfortunate that you saw that the first time you visited, and it's unfortunate things like that go down...but it doesn't negate Oakland's good side.

I know someone who heard gunfire (that left three dead) their first night living in SF. I also read a news article once about some tourists who were caught in a shootout the second they edited the Bart station on their first time visiting SF...so is SF not a great city because of that? Or is it that people tend to judge cities like Oakland more harshly because of their preconceived notions?

Last edited by rah; 08-24-2016 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City