Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:15 AM

25 posts, read 69,542 times

Advertisements

a comment about your suggestion about "progressivism" in re Memphis :

After years of personal and business experience in Memphis, I have come to my own observations of why the real lack of progressivism.

1) Most don't really want progressive thought or anything close to it
2) Most are xenophobic, hence the resentment of progressive thought
3) Most change too slowly in their own heads to be progressive
4) Most view progressive thought as being congruent to liberalism thus DEMOCRAT
5) Most view DEMOCRATs as undesirable
6) Most blacks in Memphis are DEMOCRAT
7) So most whites view blacks as undesirable (that's what they 'think')
8) Most think having a black majority city is the problem
9) Dumb whites think blacks can be ignored politically
10) Most whites don't understand blacks are not going anywhere....they're stuck with each other
11) They resent being 'stuck' with a large black population
12) Whites then "run" quickly out of the city...look around..or intentionally displace DTblacks
13) Whites view blacks as the locus of the problem, blacks blame whites
14) Whites aren't true REPUBLICANs at all in reality....they're DIXIECRATS in reality
15) Whites resent blacks' political voting power, they can put whoever they want into office really and that bugs the crap out of whites
16) Memphis whites FEAR black political power, and guys like Herenton, Ford, AC, etc....they don't like them, so they tend to disparage black political leaders as much as they can, even when they don't deserve criticism
17) Memphis WHITES long for the days of yesteryear and black disenfranchisement..really they do...many don't think that blacks should vote...because they think they are 'low-information voters' thus have not "earned" the right to VOTE PROPERLY and for the RIGHT candidates...lol......really they do...I've heard this out of the mouths of powerful white good ole Mammfess boys.
18) Blacks in Memphis waste their time glorifying subculturalism. Education is not pervasively valued enough in the community.
19) There is a Black Memphis, and a White Memphis, and they don't intersect SOCIALLY......whites are proud to claim "I have black friends" but what they mean is that they have black "associates AT WORK".....the WHITES DON'T GO TO THE HOMES OF THEIR BLACK ASSOCIATES, AND WHITES DONT HAVE THEIR SO-CALLED BLACK FRIENDS OVER TO THEIR HOMES TO ACTUALLY DO "Freind Stuff".
20) Thereby, the good white folks are BOGUS...and they know it. Disingenuousness rules the day and "Life in Memphis"

It's a sneaky, cloaked insidious brand of distrust and foundational racism and dislike that keeps Memphis from being anything other than a large, overgrown slave and cotton trading River Town on the banks of the Mississippi River, flanked by vestiges of Plantation life of the Delta and the horrible State of Mississippi.

Memphis is anathema to progressivism. It's not in the character of the masses - whether white or black.

It might change in another 25 years or 30 years, but I doubt it. Other cities are blasting past Memphis at star speed. If you have 25 years of your life to waste, by all means knock yourself out. If you and your family are smart, look elsewhere. The USA is quite diverse, and every city even in the South doesn't fail like Memphis....look around for yourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 11:04 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,040,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOpinionCounts View Post

After years of personal and business experience in Memphis, I have come to my own observations of why the real lack of progressivism.

10) Most whites don't understand blacks are not going anywhere....they're stuck with each other
12) Whites then "run" quickly out of the city...look around..or intentionally displace DTblacks
14) Whites aren't true REPUBLICANs at all in reality....they're DIXIECRATS in reality
15) Whites resent blacks' political voting power, they can put whoever they want into office really and that bugs the crap out of whites
16) Memphis whites FEAR black political power, and guys like Herenton, Ford, AC, etc....they don't like them, so they tend to disparage black political leaders as much as they can, even when they don't deserve criticism
17) Memphis WHITES long for the days of yesteryear and black disenfranchisement..really they do...many don't think that blacks should vote...because they think they are 'low-information voters' thus have not "earned" the right to VOTE PROPERLY and for the RIGHT candidates...lol......really they do...I've heard this out of the mouths of powerful white good ole Mammfess boys.
18) Blacks in Memphis waste their time glorifying subculturalism. Education is not pervasively valued enough in the community.
19) There is a Black Memphis, and a White Memphis, and they don't intersect SOCIALLY......whites are proud to claim "I have black friends" but what they mean is that they have black "associates AT WORK".....the WHITES DON'T GO TO THE HOMES OF THEIR BLACK ASSOCIATES, AND WHITES DONT HAVE THEIR SO-CALLED BLACK FRIENDS OVER TO THEIR HOMES TO ACTUALLY DO "Freind Stuff".
20) Thereby, the good white folks are BOGUS...and they know it. Disingenuousness rules the day and "Life in Memphis"

It's a sneaky, cloaked insidious brand of distrust and foundational racism and dislike that keeps Memphis from being anything other than a large, overgrown slave and cotton trading River Town on the banks of the Mississippi River, flanked by vestiges of Plantation life of the Delta and the horrible State of Mississippi.

Memphis is anathema to progressivism. It's not in the character of the masses - whether white or black.

It might change in another 25 years or 30 years, but I doubt it. Other cities are blasting past Memphis at star speed. If you have 25 years of your life to waste, by all means knock yourself out. If you and your family are smart, look elsewhere. The USA is quite diverse, and every city even in the South doesn't fail like Memphis....look around for yourselves.

This is just a horrible post. Memphis has many problems politically, but they mainly stem from Herenton and his tenure. As for all the whites=racists, that is BS. You know Midtown is one of the largest and most diverse areas in the the south. Whites voted AC in as Mayor, not the blacks. Whites were the deciding factor here. The old south mentality is not that apparent, as a matter of fact, it is more apparent in Middle and East TN. Driving through Middle TN I was surprised at all the Confederate flags on vehicles.

Again, Memphis has issues, and as you know I am moving from here. But, it is not what you portray it to be. I wish you hadn't had such a bad experience here, but nothing can change that. We all have to make sacrifices and change to what we need and want. Memphis is a tough town, hopefully it will get through all this.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:21 PM

25 posts, read 69,542 times
My opinions about Memphis are based solely on what I see, hear, and witness. It's not some fake reality. It may not be what YOU have seen heard and witnessed but it's what I have seen and still see with people you would never dream would harbor such a brand of sneaky and insidious racism, xenophobism and outright ignorance......primarily but not solely in the domains of good ole White Folks of Memphis.

Even the so-called "liberals" are bogus when in like-minded (perceived) company. I've HEARD the crap coming out of mouths of white developers, white builders, white bankers at such 'fine' banks as First TN, Regions, Bank of Bartlett and a few other "new banks". I heard it out of commissioners, planners, school adminstrators, FedEx executives, attorneys, JUDGES, policemen, EMT's, BIG CHURCH PASTORS/DEACONS, and even a few Jews in business in and around the city.

You can't make this stuff up, and it serves no one to lie about it or pretend that it doesn't massively exist all over the region, not just Memphis.

Everyone's experience is individual for sure, and no two individuals are the same. I just will call a spade a spade. Many people in Memphis enjoy pissing on your shoes and then tell you it's raining. Sorry, I'm not that dumb. Memphis has massive problems. It's in denial and has been since the mid 1980s and all during the 90s while many other cities have improved their own lots.

Let me also state, that Memphis had huge problems WELL BEFORE Herenton...just look at Dcik Hackett for godsake. He didn't get criticized for his overall incompetence because he was a good ole WHITE boy and the whiteman's own candidate...the white electorate's "boy". So Herenton comes along...a PhD black candidate, wins big time, and the white establishment goes nuts ! nuts with hatred...personal disdain...you know, the old name-calling of "He's an arrogant ******" sort of thing.....you know...."code words" of hatred. Hell I heard it out of the mouths of executive friends of my own.

Nope, Memphis has a legacy of hate AND ignorance..and in some cases, just downright stupidity from what I have personally witnessed on a daily basis. It's a city that is doomed to be in a time warp of sort. It's too slow to be "progressive" as the OP's question invites.

Progressive connotes "PROGRESS". Sorry, there is not enough "progress" in between the ears of most of its white and black residents. They don't embrace the concept of "progress" OR it would not be so far behind right now ! It's BEHIND .....bigtime behind....and if you're BEHIND, you're not making "progress".

Face it. Salvation was not meant for everyone. You have to choose it. Other cities have chosen other paths while Memphis steeps in its own mediocrity and bays/howls at the moon. No one is keeping Memphis "behind", it shoots itself in the foot all the time. Nashville is not hurling obstacles in Memphis' way, neither is Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh, St Louis, Tampa or Portland.

Memphis should stop embracing the lousiest State in the United States, i.e. Mississippi, and start taking notes from its "relatives" in its own State...that being the great State of Tennessee.
Having a sphere of influence like Mississippi is an albatross around the necks of Memphis' "progressive" so-called "urge". Memphis needs to cut the cultural "chord" of being known as the "largest city in the State of Mississippi". No real good can EVER come out of this "association"...and if you don't see that, hear that, feel that, witness that, then you are one blind and deaf "monkey".

Old 08-10-2013, 02:23 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,752,072 times
Quote:

That's very true. Fascism and America are like oil and water. Renaming fascism doesn't change what it is.

Quote:
Opposition to fascism is not xenophobia. Most people like freedom and do not want to change to the idea of fascist slavery by the elites.

Quote:
Progressivism and liberalism are opposites. The republicans are the classic liberal party in America.

Quote:
No, they view fascists and kleptocrats with contempt.

Quote:
Which is stupefying when considering the democrats are the party of slavery, Jim Crow, the KKK, opposition to Civil Rights, race baiting, and racism.

Quote:
No, just racist progressives look at blacks as inferior and always needing a separate set of societal rules.

Quote:
No, most think a majority fascist or kleptocrat city is a bad idea. Race has nothing to do with it unless of course you are trying to stereotype all blacks are fascists and thieves.

Quote:
Again, it is amazing blacks still vote heavily Democrats after being ignored by the racist progressive urban elites.

Quote:
Disagree. One of these days majority of blacks will flee the democrat plantation and become republican again. Democrats once though slavery wasn't going anywhere, and boy howdy were they wrong.

Quote:
They resent facists and kleptocrats. Racist progressives obsess about race over substance opposite that of a majority of regular Americans.

Quote:
All races flee getting fleeced by kleptocrats if they have the means. Why are you being racist to the minorities that want to escape too?

Quote:
Progressives blame race class, and other silly things while smart Americans blame fascists and klepotcrats for killing the inner cities.

Quote:
The Democrats are still the party of race and racism, not the color blind republicans. Last time I checked all the minority major office holders in the southern USA are republicans, not Democrats. Gov. Jindal in LA, Gov. Haley in SC, Sen. Cruz in TX, Sen. Scott, in SC, Sen. Rubio in FL.

Quote:
Classic liberals, libertarians, and conservatives off all colors dislike racist kleptocrat machine politics which destroy cities, loot the coffers, and ruin people's lives. You are again proving progressives obsess about race over substance. Progressives have always been the biggest racists in America.

That enough fisking for now.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:28 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,752,072 times
Quote:
My opinions about Memphis are based solely on what I see, hear, and witness. It's not some fake reality. It may not be what YOU have seen heard and witnessed but it's what I have seen and still see with people you would never dream would harbor such a brand of sneaky and insidious racism, xenophobism and outright ignorance......primarily but not solely in the domains of good ole White Folks of Memphis.
'

You have dumbly reduced all societal problems and ills to the amount of melanin content in a person's skin. Dude, you are a flaming racist.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:12 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Memphis should stop embracing the lousiest State in the United States, i.e. Mississippi, and start taking notes from its "relatives" in its own State...that being the great State of Tennessee.
Having a sphere of influence like Mississippi is an albatross around the necks of Memphis' "progressive" so-called "urge". Memphis needs to cut the cultural "chord" of being known as the "largest city in the State of Mississippi". No real good can EVER come out of this "association"...and if you don't see that, hear that, feel that, witness that, then you are one blind and deaf "monkey".
The only way this will stop is if Memphis's geographical location changes and that's not going to happen. And exactly how are the MS 'burbs of Memphis holding it back? I suspect that's not the case at all and this is a case of nothing more than perception.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:18 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Which is stupefying when considering the democrats are the party of slavery, Jim Crow, the KKK, opposition to Civil Rights, race baiting, and racism.
Have you heard of the "Southern Strategy"? The Democrats who were supportive of these by and large bolted to the Republican Party after sweeping Civil Rights legislation was passed. This is why most Blacks were Republican pre-Civil Rights and gradually switched over afterwards.

Quote:
Disagree. One of these days majority of blacks will flee the democrat plantation and become republican again.
It won't be anytime soon with the way the GOP-led Legislatures are acting in these Southern states.

Quote:
The Democrats are still the party of race and racism, not the color blind republicans. Last time I checked all the minority major office holders in the southern USA are republicans, not Democrats. Gov. Jindal in LA, Gov. Haley in SC, Sen. Cruz in TX, Sen. Scott, in SC, Sen. Rubio in FL.
And none of these folks are Black. All of the Black major office holders in the U.S. in general are Democrat, starting with the nation's highest office.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:00 PM

367 posts, read 988,569 times
Quote:

Whew! Strong Language....if this was 2008 or before I would even pretty much agree with some of this post...but 2013 Memphis is doing some under the radar progressive things lately when was the last time you were in Memphis?..

.it does need to look at its own state for guidence and not Mississippi.....I think having Nashville in its state is a good thing,...It FORCES Memphis too compete and to get off its lazy *** and better itself which it is tryin to do...I recently read somewhere that the new Music City Center in Nashville has scared the living daylights out off Memphis convention planners because its 3 times larger than anything Memphis has to offer so Memphis is scrambling to find an answer

That kinda of competition forces Memphis to do better and personally I believe its good for the state as it will produce two dynamic cities..I like living in a state with two potentially great cities only 2 1/2 -3 hours from each other unlike a place like Georgia which is basically just a one trick pony

Careful with some of that strong language my friend,...you probably jus offended 650,000 people

This is completely off topic but ima say it anyway..is City Data headquartered in California or something cuz it says I posted this at 5:00 but its 7:00pm here where I am (Central Time Zone).................jus sayin

Last edited by SteveTime; 08-10-2013 at 07:17 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,070,822 times
It needs a more educated population. It's really that simple. It needs educated people to start investing and moving there or for it's current population to become more educated.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,305,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
This is completely off topic but ima say it anyway..is City Data headquartered in California or something cuz it says I posted this at 5:00 but its 7:00pm here where I am (Central Time Zone).................jus sayin
City-Data is based in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City