Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,551,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
Northerners may seem rude to native southerners but to most it is just a way of life. When I've gone back to my native Cleveland with Floridians they ask why the people are so rude. I find myself explaining its just because life moves a little faster up there. No one wants to hold the door open for you when its 13 degrees outside, this becomes habit and then happens year round. Servers don't feel the need to smile and ask how you're doing every 5 minutes because they aren't expected to, the average northerner just wants them to take their order and bring them their food.

I think northerners come down here and bring that way of life with them, but they are not realizing it may seem rude to some, and they certainly aren't aiming to be rude.
I always hear this variations of this excuse but it is just bull****, rude is rude no matter where you are. When I lived up north I held the door for people and I expected the same, just because it becomes habit not to does not mean it is not rude. My server, I don't expect them to come by every 5 minutes whether I am at a restaurant here or in NY but they better check now and then to make sure I don't need another beer or anything else.
That being said, I have lived in NYC, and worked all around the NYC metro are, I have lived in Ft.Lauderdale and Davie and worked around the Miami area and I have also lived and worked all around the Tampa area, there is not any big difference in the number of rude people around each area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 06:24 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,596,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
extremely...at least in Miami they dont try to hide it...in Tampa the people act like they are in some way "better" than you but more white trashy LOL

I would have to agree.....in South Tampa it's the worst..snobby. Trust me I'm not impressed-

Old 08-02-2013, 06:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,231,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
How rude are people in tampa?
Question is somewhat biased. It's like the "how long have you been beating your wife" question.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:09 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,811,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I always hear this variations of this excuse but it is just bull****, rude is rude no matter where you are. When I lived up north I held the door for people and I expected the same, just because it becomes habit not to does not mean it is not rude. My server, I don't expect them to come by every 5 minutes whether I am at a restaurant here or in NY but they better check now and then to make sure I don't need another beer or anything else.
That being said, I have lived in NYC, and worked all around the NYC metro are, I have lived in Ft.Lauderdale and Davie and worked around the Miami area and I have also lived and worked all around the Tampa area, there is not any big difference in the number of rude people around each area.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:18 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,974,817 times
Well... Living in Tampa my whole life, I've never been harassed for not speaking a certain language. I've visited Miami twice. My personal favorite was the restaurant that tried to charge us for two extra meals. They even had a big gap on the receipt as if we weren't going to see it.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:19 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,974,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
White trash - isn't that some sort of racial slur?
You clearly haven't been to Miami. As a white male, they prefer I don't visit.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,960,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
In response to the OP's question, we have never been to Miami, but we've been to Tampa a few times and enjoyed the company of everyone we met there. It seemed like a very friendly city. We got lost once and actually had a good time chatting with folks who were waiting in line for an office to open so they could renew their drivers' licenses. We just saw people standing around and asked for directions and were pleasantly surprised at the cool conversation and laughs we ended up having. Pretty unexpected place to have fun, huh?

Tiny, I'm a Midwesterner and I want to say that I'm sorry you've encountered some very rude and hurtful people from this direction. I'm sorry they went out of their way to make you feel inferior and ruin your day. Just know that the majority of us aren't like that. We may not say, "Ma'am" when we answer someone, but most of us have manners and show respect toward others.

I agree people in the Midwest are generally friendly. You can have rude people in any part of the country even in the South. Also not all people in the Northeast are rude either. There are some factors to take into consideration. It's a matter of reading people especially the ones who are struggling with depression or a medical condition. Having a more positive out look in life helps and the people around you will also see that. I am nice even if they are rude. Kill them with kindness.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,832,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
White trash - isn't that some sort of racial slur?
No, not when pointed in that direction. That is allowed by the national PC rules.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM

35,352 posts, read 20,714,667 times
I love people and sorely dissapointed when they do not respond kindly or at least respectfully back to me, but I need that job- so gotta paint the smile- (per the big boss)... Not too give too much away, I sometimes work in the " returns " area of my PT job---some of the lying -thieving -cheating bunch that come in, the rude ones are the old folks with old used stuff wanting new ones to replace and demand it. Most people are nice and have everything in order, but some OMG, shame on them. I believe in profesionalism at all times on a job... so genuine, is that giving respect at all times. Personal associations, if it not true, why bother?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:54 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,302,287 times
People in Tampa are pretty friendly I think. Our economy is mostly based on tourism and people in that industry have to be friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City