Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Montreal vs Toronto vs Vancouver
Montreal 88 44.90%
Toronto 61 31.12%
Vancouver 47 23.98%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,753 times

Advertisements

Thanks caphillsea77 for that detailed description of Vancouver. Yup, it is on my bucket list. I think I'd thoroughly enjoy Vancouver - I just offered the comment that the Aussie tourist made because I've heard others say similar things. However, the raves about Vancouver certainly seem to outnumber those negative comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:37 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh i'm not saying you haven't had experiences in Toronto or that you can't have an opinion on the place. I'm just saying that The way the poster from Cape Town explained the diversity of the city is exactly as it is and it is one of only a few cities with such ethnic diversity as represented in its nabe's and in such impressive numbers that you feel you are in a different city crossing just a few blocks.. Definitely not matched by any city in Canada and probably only NYC in the U.S. so its ethnic diversity really is a notch up from most cities anywhere.

As for your friends from Montreal coming to Toronto because that's where the money is says something for our nightlife scene no..?

Montreal is a fun city with a GREAT nightlife but Montreal does not have this

The Guvernment Entertainment Complex Toronto

Easily the largest nightclub in Canada and one of the best in the world. As a matter of fact as far as Nightclubs go it is one of the most prominent anywhere - not just in Canada.

Toronto Night Clubs.com, Toronto Night Club Guide
Well I get what you are saying.I agree that the nightlife in Toronto is more varied.You have more of those huge type venues that Montreal really does not do well.Montreal is cool if you like lounge type places which is more my cup of tea,but overall i agree that Toronto's nightlife is more varied and diverse.

I had these two from Montreal that moved to Atlanta and rented from me.We now have become great friends.They tell me that the music scene in Montreal is not good for artist to get big.You HAVE to go to Toronto or the U.S.
They are the next big thing hopefully you hear them on radio soon.
GNAX - GNAX

Old 08-04-2013, 01:06 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Don't blame Toronto for the rave scene.. The music sucks now in comparison to the glorious 90 Euro Dance era.. I blame the music now

Have you been to Cherry Beach on the weekends this summer at night? The place is littered with party goers at the beach.. Is this a beach rave scene? I'm definitely hearing trance and house beats smashing.. The reason I know is I go to T&T supermarket close by to get cheap Sushi before it closes. Are we re-entering an underground rave scene revival?
My days of partying are pretty much over. But I can say I was there for some of the best years of the Toronto rave scene. I went to my first party in '95, and continued until 2000 when the scene just got played out. I always liked the smaller, more intimate jams compared to the massive 5000-person parties that came later. I remember hitting Montreal's famous Sona back in like '97 or '98, and it was off-the-hook! Montreal certainly has great night life, but I believe TO can match it in quality, quantity and variety any day. As for Guvernment, I can't even believe that place still exists. I remember going to rock concerts at the Warehouse in the early-90's and raves in the mid-to-late 90's. Then Guvernment took over the Warehouse. I remember before that you'd have all the dressed-up clubbers and ginos lining up for the Guvernment, and a few metres away you'd have all the ravers in their motley assortment of outfits and costumes. By 2:00am, pretty much all the crowd from Guvernment would move to the Warehouse, because the jams were so much better, not to mention the tunes. Guvernment realized that having that kind of competition next door wasn't the greatest idea, so they just bought it and added it to their already-massive venue.

I personally don't think the rave scene can be revived. Maybe something like it, but Toronto's rave scene in the 90's was a unique combination of people, music and culture that will never be duplicated. Something new will come along that will be just as cool, but certainly not the same.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
I think they're all great cities in their own right, but as a Torontonian I will say Montreal and Vancouver are more interesting for tourists.

In terms of cultural institutions and urban vibe Vancouver is not in the same tier as Toronto and Montreal in my opinion.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuckinthesouth View Post
Thanks caphillsea77 for that detailed description of Vancouver. Yup, it is on my bucket list. I think I'd thoroughly enjoy Vancouver - I just offered the comment that the Aussie tourist made because I've heard others say similar things. However, the raves about Vancouver certainly seem to outnumber those negative comments.
I wonder if it's a better city to visit than to live. Most of the gripes and negative remarks I see about Vancouver are from many who currently or have lived there even thought its ranked so highly for quality of life.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
I have a friend who is from Vancouver and currently lives there again and absolutely hates it. He absolutely despises everything about the city. He even hates the Canucks. I haven't talked to him in about a year but I would love to talk to him about it so he could go in more detail because he is the only person I have met who has had nothing but negative things to say about the city. I on the other hand love Vancouver, but maybe some natives / more experienced Vancouver travelers can tell me some of the problems / negatives of the city. I am quite interested.

P.S. As previously posted, I voted for Vancouver on this poll.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Toronto and Vancouver.

Hard for me to say that I truly love a place but I truly love both very dearly. Vancouver because, well, I suppose I'm just a Pacific guy. The Pacific Rim feels like home for me.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I have a friend who is from Vancouver and currently lives there again and absolutely hates it. He absolutely despises everything about the city. He even hates the Canucks. I haven't talked to him in about a year but I would love to talk to him about it so he could go in more detail because he is the only person I have met who has had nothing but negative things to say about the city. I on the other hand love Vancouver, but maybe some natives / more experienced Vancouver travelers can tell me some of the problems / negatives of the city. I am quite interested.

P.S. As previously posted, I voted for Vancouver on this poll.
I loved visiting Vancouver as well. My biggest gripe with the city though is driving which would totally irritate me to no end if I lived there myself. Traffic in Vancouver sucks big time. There is no freeway to take you into the city, as the BC 99 freeway abruptly ends at the city limits as does one of a few exits of the Canada 1 freeway at the edge of town, leaving one to navigate very congested city streets to get around and through the city. The Lions Gate bridge is narrow and constantly congested as well, very outdated bridge that has traffic well beyond its capacity. On the bright side the city does have a very good mass rail transit network (skytrain/subways, etc.).

Old 08-07-2013, 05:40 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I wonder if it's a better city to visit than to live. Most of the gripes and negative remarks I see about Vancouver are from many who currently or have lived there even thought its ranked so highly for quality of life.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Could it be the gloomy weather that affects the locals' mood about their city? I tend not to mind rainy days, but if the weather's lousy like that for long stretches, it starts to get to me a bit. I have heard many people gripe about the drizzly weather there.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Montreal by a long shot for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City