Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should a Billionaire Put a Big-League Team?
Inland Empire...We're Not LA! 6 10.53%
Las Vegas...We Need Something Besides Slots! 24 42.11%
Hartford...Ignore the Whalers! 6 10.53%
Austin...San Antonio Spurs Make Us Jealous! 17 29.82%
Hampton Roads...We're Virginia Beach and Norfolk Too! 13 22.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,244 times

Advertisements

Would any sports leagues allow Vegas to have a team with the risk of fixing games and gambling being ever present?

As for the Inland Empire, aren't they for the most part in the LA media market except for Palm Springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 10:30 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
What does Vegas' location have to do with those things? Fixing games and gambling isn't reliant on a physical location.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Guy 382 View Post
Would any sports leagues allow Vegas to have a team with the risk of fixing games and gambling being ever present?

As for the Inland Empire, aren't they for the most part in the LA media market except for Palm Springs?
They are part of the LA Market.

I can't see the Inland empire getting any team. 2 teams already in LA and the NBA needs to move to a proven market that can have success (*cough* Seattle *cough*). The NFL would move to LA not the Inland empire. Already 5 MLB teams in California. And the MLS needs to move to Markets that can have great success like the Northwestern Teams. Plus Inland Empire is part of LA's TV market.

Vegas would be a serious gamble. Not a huge Metro area (smaller then Salt Lake City's Metro), and are people really going to want to go to Pro sports events? If Miami has taught us anything, popular tourist destinations have flip-floppity fanbases for the most part (unless it's college sports). So overall I could see a hockey or Basketball team there but if I had to put money on it, they would be very unsuccessful.

Austin is an interesting one. I could see the NBA or NFL making a move (that's the Longhorn's turf), and if NHL moves to Texas it will be Houston most likely. But I could see MLB having some success in Austin. Growing area, and cool place to be. Definitely could be an option.

So what about Virginia Beach? Well, I can't see anyone flocking to that market for NFL, NHL, or MLB. It could be potentially an OK middle of the road NBA market but definitely would prosper.

Now if you want my opinion on the best Cities for future Major Sports franchises?

NBA: 1. Seattle (Obvious chose) 2. Kansas City or St. Louis 3. Vancouver BC

NFL: 1. LA (they do need an NFL team) 2. Toronto (Maybe move the Bills?) 3. Not Really sure could be anywhere, even London (it would definitely be interesting)

MLB: 1. Portland (Great Baseball culture and could prosper) 2. Austin 3. Nashville

NHL: 1. Seattle 2. Portland (Northwest cities have great fanbases which leads to potential growth of the sport) 3. Quebec City (Would have them higher but it's a small market with already an established hockey culture, which means zero growth of the sport)

This is just what i think though.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Honestly IMO neither of those are good options...

Old 08-02-2013, 12:47 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Austin-Do people in Austin even want a professional sports team? They seem pretty content with being a college sports town. San Antonio would get a major league franchise before Austin ever would.

Inland Empire- There are already enough teams in the Los Angeles market. The only way I could see the Inland Empire acquire a major league franchise would be if a team relocated from Orange County. Putting expansion teams there would oversaturate the Los Angeles sports market. At least the Inland Empire still has Nascar, which is something LA or Orange county doesn't have.

Hartford- Too close to the New York sports market and Boston Sports market to put a team there. They already ready have a WNBA franchise in Connecticut and are lucky to even have that.

Hampton Roads- This area could technically support a major league team. They would have to come up with a serious marketing campaign that would present themselves as Virginia's team. Unfortunately this area is an unproven market and sort of an area sports owners don't even think about when in comes to potential cities to expand.

Las Vegas- Las Vegas is by far the most controversial city to put a team in. It market size is definitely large enough to support a major league franchise. The main concerns that pro-sports leagues have with putting a franchise in Las Vegas is largely due to the high level of sports gambling and the potential of high rollers fixing games and bribing players, coaches, and league officials. I think the city at least deserves to have a shot at it. If it doesn't work out, they could always relocate the team elsewhere.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:00 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIrishRebel View Post
What does Vegas' location have to do with those things? Fixing games and gambling isn't reliant on a physical location.
That's what I've always thought as well.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:44 AM

494 posts, read 804,671 times
None of the above. Vegas may be sports betting capital but what people who do live there are not enough into any to support a team other then the NBA perhaps? Most of the others are too saturated as is.

Me? I would look at markets where sports is HUGE. For example.. Des Moines ( MLB/NFL ), Grand Rapids MI ( NFL, NBA, NHL... ), OKC ( MLB, NFL ), see above with Birmingham and i would include NFL there as well.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:47 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
None of the above. Vegas may be sports betting capital but what people who do live there are not enough into any to support a team other then the NBA perhaps? Most of the others are too saturated as is.

Me? I would look at markets where sports is HUGE. For example.. Des Moines ( MLB/NFL ), Grand Rapids MI ( NFL, NBA, NHL... ), OKC ( MLB, NFL ), see above with Birmingham and i would include NFL there as well.
Grand Rapids with an NFL team?!?! What......

Old 08-02-2013, 04:18 AM

309 posts, read 760,001 times
For the love of God, please put a NFL team in Los Angeles.

Last edited by 007jamesbond; 08-02-2013 at 05:36 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 07:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Inland Empire- There are already enough teams in the Los Angeles market. The only way I could see the Inland Empire acquire a major league franchise would be if a team relocated from Orange County. Putting expansion teams there would oversaturate the Los Angeles sports market. At least the Inland Empire still has Nascar, which is something LA or Orange county doesn't have.

On the IE and baseball. I wonder if the Angels are sort of the team so to speak. Seems pretty close and is SD not far from the other end.

Not sure this makes sense. If you look the broader LA/OC/IE/SD it would seem that 3 baseball teams covering a population of like 20-25 million woulkd make sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City