Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Ok, tell us then what is the cultural capital of the country?
There's so many varying cultures in the US, its hard to pin a cultural capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Quote:
Yes, suburbs that are close to a big city usually for the wealthy and high middle who can enjoy all the things an urban city offers and still not live in one. That's how it typically works. If the suburban development actually starts within the urban city it's going to lack in what it offers in comparison. Not to say LA is boring or anything, far from it, but he is comparing it to the most urban city in the country.

I don't know what your life experience in LA is like but I think most people agree that LA has like the worst traffic in the country.
I've lived in LA most of my life and traffic is hardly an issue. It really isn't. Especially if you know how to avoid it. My commute to work times are exremely quick. 15 mins to work. 20-30 back. Going to wherever I need or want is usually always a breeze. Do I run into traffic? Yes, but all these claims from people is something I hardly ever deal with.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 AM

669 posts, read 915,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I've lived in LA most of my life and traffic is hardly an issue. It really isn't. Especially if you know how to avoid it. My commute to work times are exremely quick. 15 mins to work. 20-30 back. Going to wherever I need or want is usually always a breeze. Do I run into traffic? Yes, but all these claims from people is something I hardly ever deal with.
People have different sense of what an "issue" or what's "quick." I would guess there are literally cities out there that can travel close to double the distance it takes one to get somewhere in LA. I am guessing you live fairly close to where you work. What you said applies to pretty much every city. Honestly, all you have to look people's list for these. LA is almost always on top spots. I am pretty sure a lot of people exaggerate quite a bit but there is certainly still truth to it considering how many people complain about it and that it was even bad enough to make it the news worldwide. I have heard stories where people have said traffic was what ruined their experience in what they set out to do in LA.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
People have different sense of what an "issue" or what's "quick." I would guess there are literally cities out there that can travel close to double the distance it takes one to get somewhere in LA. I am guessing you live fairly close to where you work. What you said applies to pretty much every city. Honestly, all you have to look people's list for these. LA is almost always on top spots. I am pretty sure a lot of people exaggerate quite a bit but there is certainly still truth to it considering how many people complain about it and that it was even bad enough to make it the news worldwide. I have heard stories where people have said traffic was what ruined their experience in what they set out to do in LA.
Of course it is bad, driving in many big cities suck, but in LA you have less options to get there than in others.

I've been stuck in traffic for hours in Atlanta, LA, DC, NYC... etc.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
This kinda contradicts what I've heard from so many L.A. posters. One of the justifications for transit expansion there is that the traffic is so bad.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Default Dino-soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffalonianPride View Post
Neither have a soul. Buffalo's influence is to great. They are nothing compared to the largest and most influental city on this planet.
Just think of how much more "influence" Buffalo would have if you named it after a even larger animal. Think big - Rhinos, Hippos, Elephants etc. Even better, instead of a city called Buffalo, why not rename the city - Brontosaurus?

Brontosaurus, NY does have a nice ring to it. Plus a dinosaur seems to fit New York State and Erie County in particular!

Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Quote:
The point is, I have never allowed traffic to ruin my experience here. I have learned how to deal with and how to avoid it. it's not that difficult really. Yes, I live about 10 miles away from work.

The only time I have ever really gotten stuck in traffic for longer than I wanted to was during extraordinary events that don't happen often. Such as car accidents, road work, exits/certain lanes being closed, etc, but those don't happen all the time. If I can do it, I don't see why anyone else can't do it.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM

669 posts, read 915,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Of course it is bad, driving in many big cities suck, but in LA you have less options to get there than in others.

I've been stuck in traffic for hours in Atlanta, LA, DC, NYC... etc.
Well sure driving in any big city is no walk in the park. But what makes LA worse than the other is that barley that much people use transportation that's not road vehicles. One of the most important criteria of being a good public transit city is the ability to get people off the road. LA can only barely manage to get over 10% of it's population to use public transit OVERALL on a regular basis much less transit that would get people off the road. That's why LA is usually viewed as the worst traffic city by most despite not being as dense as some of the other cities.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:20 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This kinda contradicts what I've heard from so many L.A. posters. One of the justifications for transit expansion there is that the traffic is so bad.
I think Illusive and I were referring to the sentiment that traffic dictates life in Los Angeles. Most people in Los Angeles live within their neighborhood - therefore cross-town traffic is not a huge deal for the majority of trips. Remember, Angelenos drive the 2nd least of any major US city (behind NYC). While traffic is terrible here, it doesn't dictate life in the way that Yyuusr is implying. If you need to make a lot of cross-town trips or commute from way outside the city, yes then your life will be crushed by traffic. However this is not the case for most Southern Californians.

Quote:
But what about the city that everyone immediately associates with traffic jams and car culture: Los Angeles. Incredibly, the city of angels is among the top gas misers. That’s because residents of centrally located areas of L.A. don’t have that far to drive to get to work or the beach. As a result, the L.A.-Long Beach area ranks second among the cities that use the least gasoline, just 630 gallons a year per household. As for the No. 1 least driving-est city? That honor goes to New York, where even in the unlikelihood that a household owns a car, they probably still get to work on the subway.
America's Most Gas-Guzzling Cities - Forbes

Remember Carmageddon and the common perception that Los Angeles was going to be crushed with traffic? Turns out it didn't matter because Angelenos just kept doing what they always do (and taking it a little bit further) - living within their neighborhoods.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:32 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
New Yorkers have longest commute times in the U.S.: report - NY Daily News

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's a subway, not a teleportation device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City