Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:50 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times

Advertisements

Which area do you prefer, as fas as:

- Weather
- Culture
- People
- Nightlife
- Entertainment
- Public Transit
- Safety
- Overall quality of life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 09:00 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Which area do you prefer, as fas as:

- Weather
- Culture
- People
- Nightlife
- Entertainment
- Public Transit
- Safety
- Overall quality of life
I've lived in both. Here's my assessment:

Weather -- this one goes to Hampton Roads area. It's not as hot and humid in the summer months, and the winters are still fairly mild.

Culture -- this is a toss up. The culture is pretty similar in both. Both are "New South" areas with lots of northeastern transplants.

People -- again a toss up. Pretty similar.

Nightlife -- Atlanta hands down.

Entertainment -- Atlanta hands down.

Public Transit -- Atlanta hands down.

Safety -- Probably Hampton Roads area, but both are pretty safe.

Overall quality of life -- this really depends on what you're into. I absolutely love the beach, so that is a pretty big draw for me. My quality of life is greatly improved when I can head to the beach to relax for a few hours after work and on the weekend. I guess for this reason I'd give it to the Hampton Roads.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:11 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I've lived in both. Here's my assessment:

Weather -- this one goes to Hampton Roads area. It's not as hot and humid in the summer months, and the winters are still fairly mild.

Culture -- this is a toss up. The culture is pretty similar in both. Both are "New South" areas with lots of northeastern transplants.

People -- again a toss up. Pretty similar.

Nightlife -- Atlanta hands down.

Entertainment -- Atlanta hands down.

Public Transit -- Atlanta hands down.

Safety -- Probably Hampton Roads area, but both are pretty safe.

Overall quality of life -- this really depends on what you're into. I absolutely love the beach, so that is a pretty big draw for me. My quality of life is greatly improved when I can head to the beach to relax for a few hours after work and on the weekend. I guess for this reason I'd give it to the Hampton Roads.
I agree with everything except the culture. I don't think of Hampton Roads as being "New south" at all.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
I agree with everything except the culture. I don't think of Hampton Roads as being "New south" at all.
The term was originally used for the tidewater region of Virginia - like back in the 1930s. The area does feel less southern than Atlanta - still pretty similar to me at least.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
The term was originally used for the tidewater region of Virginia - like back in the 1930s. The area does feel less southern than Atlanta - still pretty similar to me at least.
When I think of New South, I think of Atlanta and Charlotte.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
When I think of New South, I think of Atlanta and Charlotte.
Would you say southern Virginia has lost its southern feel entirely?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Visited the last 3 out of 4 summers. And although it definitely seems different in a few ways you are reminded of its Southern influence alot. I saw more than a couple Confederate flags in Virginia on my way from I-95 to Hampton roads. The vegetation is very similar. It's a little cooler but still hot and humid. You can see a little difference in the old architecture but it's very similar to some of what you see around Savannah or Charleston. The people (atleast the few I met) are somwhat similar to alot of folks you see in the Atlanta Metro you just don't meet as many people with really heavy southern accents.

Hampton roads has plenty to see and do with the beach the harbors and portsides and historical sites but all in all not as much going on as Atlanta. However, if you're really into the beach and boating it may be more for you atleast in the summer time. Atlanta definitely beats it in the nightlife and public transit categories I would add no comparison in shopping either.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Visited the last 3 out of 4 summers. And although it definitely seems different in a few ways you are reminded of its Southern influence alot. I saw more than a couple Confederate flags in Virginia on my way from I-95 to Hampton roads. The vegetation is very similar. It's a little cooler but still hot and humid. You can see a little difference in the old architecture but it's very similar to some of what you see around Savannah or Charleston. The people (atleast the few I met) are somwhat similar to alot of folks you see in the Atlanta Metro you just don't meet as many people with really heavy southern accents.

Hampton roads has plenty to see and do with the beach the harbors and portsides and historical sites but all in all not as much going on as Atlanta. However, if you're really into the beach and boating it may be more for you atleast in the summer time. Atlanta definitely beats it in the nightlife and public transit categories I would add no comparison in shopping either.
Good observations. I thought that southern Virginia was very southern when I lived there, but it was my first experience with the South. Before then, I had only lived on the West Coast. This was ten years ago. I've spent most of my time since then in the Atlanta area, and I travel to Nashville, Chattanooga, Mississippi and parts of Alabama several times a year. I've also visited Savannah and Charleston multiple times. Southern Virginia might not seem so southern to me anymore. Not sure. Even back then, it did have a stronger East Coast feel to it then I was expecting due to the many transplants.

Agreed in the match up though. The area can't hold a candle to Atlanta when it comes to nightlife, entertainment or shopping, but it does offer some good beaches. When I lived there, I hardly ever went anywhere other than the beachfront in Virginia Beach and the shops along Atlantic Avenue.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I really like the Hampton Roads area. I don't think it can beat Atlanta though in most of the categories though. But I can see myself living in both. Weather I'll probably give to HR's.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
No not entirely, but I don't get the feeling as I get in Atlanta or Charlotte. Maybe because it's more touristy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City