Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate these cities/metros
Boston 28 30.11%
San Francisco 45 48.39%
Washington 20 21.51%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
I know we are all homers on this board but with the museum of fine arts, the isabelle stuart gardner museum, the Fogg art museum, etc. saying Boston does not have top art museums is silly.
I don't see anyone claiming that Boston doesn't have top art museums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:03 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I would like to know about some of the worst ghettos in the country for Boston. How intriguing.
I think he is talking about Logan Airport.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Boston has some of the worst ghettos in the country?????? LMFAO!

Once again spoken like someone who has never been to the city. When you were conducting your survey about Boston was the 2nd question "how bad are Boston's ghettos?" After "Is Boston boring?"

Please share some more findings, you have been quite informative thus far.

During the 80s and up to the 90s, Boston had a reputation for having some of the roughest hoods. Yes, things have gotten better in the last 15 so years, but there are still hoods left.

Why are you so eager to deny this?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
During the 80s and up to the 90s, Boston had a reputation for having some of the roughest hoods. Yes, things have gotten better in the last 15 so years, but there are still hoods left.

Why are you so eager to deny this?
Two things though. One, you used the present tense, but you seem to be referring to the 80s and 90s which are now three to two decades away. Two, this is the first time I have heard of Boston having a reputation for having some of the roughest hoods in the country and I don't think I'm the only one.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Boston has some of the worst ghettos in the country?????? LMFAO!

Once again spoken like someone who has never been to the city. When you were conducting your survey about Boston was the 2nd question "how bad are Boston's ghettos?" After "Is Boston boring?"

Please share some more findings, you have been quite informative thus far.
His research

Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
Quote:
All 3 cities have huge wealth gaps. Boston and DC have some of the worst ghettos in the country. SF used to have some of the toughest housing projects in the nation. There are still pockets left today.

I think we're being bias when we look at certain aspects of these cities.
Boston is not Miami in regards to the wealth gap for example. Sure there may be one, but it's not as big as some other cities in this country. Which Boston and DC neighborhoods are you referring to?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
All 3 cities have huge wealth gaps. Boston and DC have some of the worst ghettos in the country. SF used to have some of the toughest housing projects in the nation. There are still pockets left today.

I think we're being bias when we look at certain aspects of these cities.
Alright man. You really just need to stop pretending to know what you're talking about when it comes to Boston. Boston has nowhere near the worst ghettos in the US.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:22 PM

233 posts, read 368,654 times
All three are premier cities with small borders making them unusual in a country where big cities typically have massive borders. Atlanta is probably the only other city with small borders and big metro but it is not quite at the same level - yet.

It's hard to say which is the best but for my money each is as liveable, urban and interesting as it gets in the US. Only NYC is a massively larger city, but with that comes congestion, high costs and other headaches. LA is bigger but not nearly as liveable IMO. Chicago is bigger but not drastically so, and might be included with this list of three. Philly is about the same size, not quite as prominent but still a good inclusion in the list. None of them is the best per se, it depends what you are looking for.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:45 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
All three are premier cities with small borders making them unusual in a country where big cities typically have massive borders. Atlanta is probably the only other city with small borders and big metro but it is not quite at the same level - yet.

It's hard to say which is the best but for my money each is as liveable, urban and interesting as it gets in the US. Only NYC is a massively larger city, but with that comes congestion, high costs and other headaches. LA is bigger but not nearly as liveable IMO. Chicago is bigger but not drastically so, and might be included with this list of three. Philly is about the same size, not quite as prominent but still a good inclusion in the list. None of them is the best per se, it depends what you are looking for.
Miami's another small city, big metro place. I think Philly is a really good match-up for these cities overall.

Just out of curiosity, does Boston have a large area that's not not historically landmarked where large high rise constructions can possibly be put up? San Francisco has SOMA, and ostensibly Terminal Island, so I'm wondering if there's something like that for Boston where maybe a large skyscraper district could be put up.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:54 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Miami's another small city, big metro place. I think Philly is a really good match-up for these cities overall.

Just out of curiosity, does Boston have a large area that's not not historically landmarked where large high rise constructions can possibly be put up? San Francisco has SOMA, and ostensibly Terminal Island, so I'm wondering if there's something like that for Boston where maybe a large skyscraper district could be put up.
Well there is the South Boston Waterfront, which will have major development (as much as 30 million sq ft of office space, putting it right near Washington DC for CBD). However due to its location in flight paths for Logan Airport, the buildings won't be going too high...I believe it's capped around 400 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City