Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, do some people just move to the suburbs or satellite cities like Aurora, Joliet, DeKalb, etc.?
All the time, Also the Far South Burbs have grown. Houses are pretty cheap around those parts too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
^(@Three Sides) I'd say that the only twist is that in many cases, Black folks were already long time residents, if not the first non native residents of many current Northern metro areas. Case in point, many may not know that there is evidence that the first or some of the first non Native settlers in the Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse areas were people of Black African descent. I encourage you to read the beginning of this book: North Star Country: Upstate New York and the Crusade for African American ... - Milton C. Sernett - Google Books

and this history: African American History of Western New York

There are other examples, but it is a matter of having an interest and yearning to search for such information that goes beyond the basic, selective history of Black folks in this land. There is a reason, unfortunately, why much of this information is hushed up and buried. So, it is a matter of moving on your feelings knowing that there is more to our existence beyond what gets displayed or told and researching this that could be useful to the community. That is why I was honored to be on a local radio station talking about local history pertaining to Black African diaspora. What you find may surprised, but encourage you.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^(@Three Sides) I'd say that the only twist is that in many cases, Black folks were already long time residents, if not the first non native residents of many current Northern metro areas. Case in point, many may not know that there is evidence that the first or some of the first non Native settlers in the Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse areas were people of Black African descent. I encourage you to read the beginning of this book: North Star Country: Upstate New York and the Crusade for African American ... - Milton C. Sernett - Google Books

and this history: African American History of Western New York

There are other examples, but it is a matter of having an interest and yearning to search for such information that goes beyond the basic, selective history of Black folks in this land. There is a reason, unfortunately, why much of this information is hushed up and buried. So, it is a matter of moving on your feelings knowing that there is more to our existence beyond what gets displayed or told and researching this that could be useful to the community. That is why I was honored to be on a local radio station talking about local history pertaining to Black African diaspora. What you find may surprised, but encourage you.
I knew that I should have stated that the rest of my post wasn't addressed specifically to you.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I knew that I should have stated that the rest of my post wasn't addressed specifically to you.
I knew it wasn't, but I just think what you mentioned could help lead to an interesting conversation and help reveal some things about Black folks in this country that many, regardless of race, may not know about.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
All the time, Also the Far South Burbs have grown. Houses are pretty cheap around those parts too.
It sounds similar to what is happening in the LA area, with more people moving further inland. It is occurring in the NYC area with some moving further Upstate or even into NE Pennsylvania.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
This was a great PBS documentary about the history of African Americans in Chicago. It really shows the rich cultural heritage of Chicago.

Watch Video | DuSable to Obama: Chicago's Black Metropolis - WTTW
This is a dynamite piece! I downloaded it and converted it to DVD. I'm not even mid way through and I am blown! Rep you!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Houston and Dallas have always been blacker cities than LA. The media just didn't care. That's why it always kills me when people try and downplay the black population in these cities as if black people just recently got here. Been here since slavery.
I agree with you. I'm not black and it just makes me giggle how little people know about diversity in Dallas and Houston when I'm out of state. Dallas demographically is pretty much imagined as the demography of some rural town in Oklahoma or Kansas.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:52 PM

15 posts, read 40,785 times
Sacramento, CA its diverse
210,006 (45.0%) White
80,005 (16.6%) African American
85,503 (17.8%) Asian (4.2% Chinese, 3.3% Hmong, 2.8% Filipino, 1.6% Indian, 1.4% Vietnamese, 1.2% Laotian, 1.2% Japanese, 0.3% Pakistani, 0.3% Korean, 0.3% Thai, 0.2% Cambodian)
6,655 (1.4%) Pacific Islander (0.6% Fijian, 0.2% Tongan, 0.2% Samoan)
5,291 (1.1%) Native American
57,573 (12.3%) other races
33,125 (7.1%) from two or more races.
Or Oakland, CA its almost 30% black

Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I agree with you. I'm not black and it just makes me giggle how little people know about diversity in Dallas and Houston when I'm out of state. Dallas demographically is pretty much imagined as the demography of some rural town in Oklahoma or Kansas.
For some odd reason, Texas as a whole is not seen as a state with a large black population and/or presence. I showed some of my co-workers here in DC some videos of Dallas and they were shocked at the amount of Blacks in Dallas. It's wierd considering Texas has been in the top 5 or 10 for Black population for nearly the past century and is now the state with the second highest Black population according to recent estimates. Oklahoma or Kansas does not nearly have the population or presence of Blacks like Texas do yet people try to include Texas with them when it comes to demographics all the time. There are some similarities as much as differences.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCityBoii View Post
Sacramento, CA its diverse
210,006 (45.0%) White
80,005 (16.6%) African American
85,503 (17.8%) Asian (4.2% Chinese, 3.3% Hmong, 2.8% Filipino, 1.6% Indian, 1.4% Vietnamese, 1.2% Laotian, 1.2% Japanese, 0.3% Pakistani, 0.3% Korean, 0.3% Thai, 0.2% Cambodian)
6,655 (1.4%) Pacific Islander (0.6% Fijian, 0.2% Tongan, 0.2% Samoan)
5,291 (1.1%) Native American
57,573 (12.3%) other races
33,125 (7.1%) from two or more races.
Or Oakland, CA its almost 30% black

The thread isn't about diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City