Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 02:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't remember seeing these communities in the thread, but are a couple of very small MI cities with very high Black percentages are Benton Harbor and Muskegon Heights. Both have around 10-11,000 people each and are 89% and 78% Black, respectively. Albion, a small city of 8600 in MI is 30% Black. Muskegon is 35% Black and Saginaw is 46% Black.
Are those cities in the Detroit metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 03:52 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Very interesting thread, I have enjoyed reading.

I was not aware that Dayton, Harrisburg, Tampa, and North Las Vegas had significant black populations. Maybe I need to get out more.
Dayton particularly. Dayton(along with Cincinnati) was a major center of Funk music during the 70s. Dayton is the hometown of African-American poet Paul Laurence Dunbar. However, most people don't know this.

I would theorize that many places with significant Black populations try to downplay that part of their city's heritage.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Are those cities in the Detroit metro?
None of them area. Benton Harbor and Muskegon are somewhat close to Grand Rapids. Saginaw is in the northern part of Michigan. BTW, Stevie Wonder was born in Saginaw.

Albion is near Battle Creek.

Last edited by green_mariner; 10-18-2014 at 04:02 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I don't remember seeing these communities in the thread, but are a couple of very small MI cities with very high Black percentages are Benton Harbor and Muskegon Heights. Both have around 10-11,000 people each and are 89% and 78% Black, respectively. Albion, a small city of 8600 in MI is 30% Black. Muskegon is 35% Black and Saginaw is 46% Black.
There is also Cassopolis,MI as well.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:15 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is also Cassopolis,MI as well.
As well as nearby Vandalia. There's also Baldwin in NW Michigan and Covert also in western Michigan. There's also towns in the 10-20% range like Dowagiac and Three Rivers, both of which are also in western MI.

On the higher Black representation than expected aspect of things, Ithaca NY have Black males that are in positions such as mayor, superintendent of schools and the city council eventhough the city is 7-8% Black. City of Ithaca, NY - City Officials

ICSD :: Administration

Jamestown, NY appears to have 2 Black females on its city council and is about 4-5% Black: City of Jamestown, New York - Members Interesting enough, one of them replaced a Black male. There are other examples I could post in Upstate NY, but I'll leave it there.

For having a pretty low Black percentage, WV has quite a few communities with Black percentages around to well above the national percentage: West Virginia Black Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-18-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
As well as nearby Vandalia. There's also Baldwin in NW Michigan and Covert also in western Michigan. There's also towns in the 10-20% range like Dowagiac and Three Rivers, both of which are also in western MI.

On the higher Black representation than expected aspect of things, Ithaca NY have Black males that are in positions such as mayor, superintendent of schools and the city council eventhough the city is 7-8% Black. City of Ithaca, NY - City Officials

Jamestown, NY appears to have 2 Black females on its city council and is about 4-5% Black: City of Jamestown, New York - Members Interesting enough, one of them replaced a Black male. There are other examples I could post in Upstate NY, but I'll leave it there.

For having a pretty low Black percentage, WV has quite a few communities with Black percentages around to well above the national percentage: West Virginia Black Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data
Some more examples of leadership in unexpected areas/communities: » Mayor

Black Women are Increasingly in Charge of Upstate School Districts (North Syracuse has a different super now)

Shenendehowa schools superintendent Oliver Robinson talks about motivating students - Albany Business Review

Old 10-19-2014, 07:58 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,140,061 times
Quote:
Another city of note is Dayton,Ohio. This one goes along with Cincinnati, probably morese.

Dayton is 43% Black. This particular southwest Ohio city was instrumental in R&B music. A lion's share of the funk bands during the 1970s came out of this city (with a few coming from Cincinnati as well). Heatwave, the Ohio Players, Lakeside, Slave, Faze-O, Sun, all are funk bands that came out of Dayton or had band members from Dayton.

Dayton is home to African-American poet Paul Laurence Dunbar.

Dayton is know more for the Wright Brothers, and rightfully so. However, it is like the Black heritage of Dayton gets ignored, or isn't known nationally. Quite ironic when you consider some of the famous people to hail from Dayton, as well as their cultural contributions.
Roger Troutman and Zapp were from Dayton also. The Isley Brothers, Midnight Star, and Bootsy Collins are from Cincy area.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Roger Troutman and Zapp were from Dayton also. The Isley Brothers, Midnight Star, and Bootsy Collins are from Cincy area.
Heatwave, the Ohio Players, Lakeside, Slave, Faze-O, and Sun are also out of Dayton. I mentioned the Isley Brothers and Bootsy Collins being from Cincinnati in another post.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:

I never knew any of this before. It reminds me somewhat of Denver. Blacks barely make of 10 percent of Denver's population, but Denver currently has its second Black mayor.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
I never knew any of this before. It reminds me somewhat of Denver. Blacks barely make of 10 percent of Denver's population, but Denver currently has its second Black mayor.
My suburb (Plano, TX) is only 8% black but has a black (Haitian) mayor. I think it all depends on perception of the person by the non-black majority. In our case, the person had years of public service and was well connected in our city. Im not sure about the mayor of Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City