Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 02:25 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Those who know of Fisk will know of Nashville's Black history.

And BTW, civil rights activist Julian Bond was born in Nashville.

However, Nashville focuses itself as being the country music capital of America. It wants to be known for the Grand Ole Opry, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, and the like.
Maybe its trying to diversify. The first office for new Americans in the Southeast was recently built. The National Museum of African American music is planned, and the Circle of Life Indian Cultural Center is supposed to start next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 03:09 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
A couple of smaller Illinois cities that come to mind: Peoria, IL Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Decatur, IL Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

A couple of Michigan cities: Lansing, MI Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Kalamazoo, MI Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I've heard that they call us Black folks up here "country", but Black people have been up here for centuries and vary just like they do in NYC. People forget that the major Upstate NY cities actually have a higher Black percentage than NYC does.

Also, there is so much history of Black people up here, that it is criminal that much of it is hardly known. I'm talking about things from Black professionals, politicians, athletes, settlers and entrepreneurs that were some of the first of their race to ever do such things in this country.
Another place that comes to mind is Auburn, which is 25 miles west of Syracuse. Its school superintendent is a Black female: Welcome to my Website!

Its HS football stadium is named after this guy: Jerome H. Holland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jerome Brud Holland.jpg

Arguably its most famous resident ever is this woman: Harriet Tubman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has 3 or 4 churches that worship in the Black tradition, an NAACP chapter and this community center: Booker T. Washington Community Center

When the football team won the state championship in 2006, its entire backfield including the QB was Black:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xAUUlJq-a0A

This guy was its QB back in the early 70's: Buddy Hardeman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Buddy Hardeman - Buddy Hardeman | Fanbase

It also was settled by an Army officer and 2 Black persons that were enslaved by him. It does have a correctional facility and isn't perfect, but its crime rate is low and it is also interracial friendly. There is an Underground Railroad history and has a free Black community that goes back to 1837, as stated on pages 13-14 here: http://www.cayugacounty.us/portals/0...ort/PDF/5c.pdf It is about 8-9% Black with about 29,000 people.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-29-2014 at 07:53 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 06:06 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that they call us Black folks up here "country", but Black people have been up here for centuries and vary just like they do in NYC. People forget that the major Upstate NY cities actually have a higher Black percentage than NYC does.

Also, there is so much history of Black people up here, that it is criminal that much of it is hardly known. I'm talking about things from Black professionals, politicians, athletes, settlers and entrepreneurs that were some of the first of their race to ever do such things in this country.
Yeah, that's very true. For an example, most of my family that relocated to NY decades ago didnt even end up in NYC, they live in Rochester.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Yeah, that's very true. For an example, most of my family that relocated to NY decades ago didnt even end up in NYC, they live in Rochester.
Which is the major city in NY State with the highest Black percentage at around 42%. A lot of people that migrated to the area actually start out in some of the small towns nearby due to the agricultural(fruit/vegetable) industry, then moved into the cities. If they move to the suburbs in that area, they usually move to the western suburbs, Henrietta and Irondequoit. Actually, my bro in law is from Gates, a western suburb.

A lot of the Black people in the Syracuse area have roots in GA, SC, SE AL and Central Florida. Here is an article about gospel groups in the area: Praising in Song*|*The Stand

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-30-2014 at 02:31 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 09:37 PM

381 posts, read 814,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
When you hear of NYC, Detroit, Chicago, LA, or Miami, you could easily pinpoint the black identity the cities represent. While there are other cities with similar proportions of blacks, they don't have black representation. Which are some you can think of?
LA would fit the opposite question. Cities with a smaller population of blacks than perceived nationally. LA is only about 9% black. Boston is around 25%.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
LA would fit the opposite question. Cities with a smaller population of blacks than perceived nationally. LA is only about 9% black. Boston is around 25%.
I think what puts LA in the conversion is that it has suburbs and other cities in the metro with Black percentages around to well above the national percentage. It also has mostly Black areas that are at least middle class in the area as well. With that said, it's city percentage, if you are strictly looking at the city of LA, it does have a lower percentage than what some may think.

Also, this website is great for viewing demographic information like where would you find a middle class, mostly Black neighborhood/area: USA Location information - USA.com

Old 02-02-2015, 03:05 PM

Small towns in MI like Covert, Baldwin, Vandalia, Cassopolis, Sumpter Township, Van Buren Township and Idlewild come to mind.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Someone said Nashville? I understand folks not viewing country music as "Black Music", but I thought by default of Nashville being a large Southern city, most people would be aware that it has a significant Black population. I can't think of one large Southern city that most people wouldn't be aware of it having a large Black population. But then again, your average American isn't aware of demographic patterns, or the racial history of different regions of the US.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:41 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
I think what puts LA in the conversion is that it has suburbs and other cities in the metro with Black percentages around to well above the national percentage. It also has mostly Black areas that are at least middle class in the area as well. With that said, it's city percentage, if you are strictly looking at the city of LA, it does have a lower percentage than what some may think.

Also, this website is great for viewing demographic information like where would you find a middle class, mostly Black neighborhood/area: USA Location information - USA.com
Its true the LA area has some very wealthy black neighborhoods, however LA really doesnt belong in the conversation on this topic. LA's black population (by city, by metro area, or whatever) is much smaller than it is actually percieved. African Americans are only 6.5% of LA's metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City