Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What sunny beach state would you rather live?
Florida 45 22.73%
Hawaii 60 30.30%
South East Texas 9 4.55%
Southern California 84 42.42%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,144,030 times

Advertisements

For being able to swim in the ocean, why is Hawaii under Florida? Sure FL has warmer summer water, but not by much and it feels uncomfortable to swim in 86F water when it's sweltering outside. Hawaii's water is warmer every other season than Florida. And why would Texas be ranked above CA? It may have warmer summer water but the water is filthy and brown. Florida's beach culture being above Hawaii's is a joke too. Same for CA; it's beach culture kind of copies Hawaii's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Martin Meltdown View Post
Never been to either Hawaii or Texas.

SoCal beaches are a joke compared to Florida beaches. The only area it wins in is for surfing.

For swimming, surf fishing, sunbathing, sandcastle making, kayaking, free diving.....Florida wins hands down. Florida also has palm-lined inland waterways, bays, and lagoons for more boating and fishing. SoCal has brown hills instead.

San Diego's water temp in the summer can't quite get up to Miami's water temp in the winter.

I can see why some would prefer SoCal overall, but the true boating/fishing/diving enthusiast or beach bum would pick Florida.
California's coast/beaches are more beautiful than Florida's. Sorry, but it's the truth. So it wins in surfing and scenery. Sunbathing is also better in CA-laying down in 75F dry warmth (not heat) under the sun with a sea breeze is nicer than 95F, humid with a stagnant breeze.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,874,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
For being able to swim in the ocean, why is Hawaii under Florida? Sure FL has warmer summer water, but not by much and it feels uncomfortable to swim in 86F water when it's sweltering outside. Hawaii's water is warmer every other season than Florida. And why would Texas be ranked above CA? It may have warmer summer water but the water is filthy and brown. Florida's beach culture being above Hawaii's is a joke too. Same for CA; it's beach culture kind of copies Hawaii's.
Both Florida and California has superior beach culture compared to Hawaii. FL and CA has more activity along there beaches than Hawaii IMHO. Hawaii wins in beauty but So Cal and FL are ahead in culture and things to do along the their beaches. There is nothing in Hawaii that is comparable to South Beach.

I also think FL is better for swimming and is safer to swim in than some parts of the the rugged Pacific.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 PM

Ever heard of Waikiki? And nightlife and the like don't really have much to do with beaches.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 PM

252 posts, read 515,542 times
This is hard question for me , because i m from Southern California (Topanga) and its quite nice but i have also lived in Hawaii (Honolulu) for 3 years. Beach wise Hawaii wins over California but culturally and geographically Hawaii was not for me.. Honolulu was kind of seedy actually.. alot of sex trafficing and prostitution drug addicts (meth heads) and racism , homeless people on that island oahu. The South of Texas Specifically the Rio Grande Valley including South Padre Island was my choice because i like it.. The Rio Grande Valley has its problems yes.. I know its border region its next to mexico so there are issues with drugs and crime... i have lots relatives that live there and it is not as crowded in comparison to southern california. I like thats its tropical and theres amenities near by such as universities and colleges , music stores ,restaurants etc. . Florida is probably rad but i have never been there.

Last edited by 7stringguitarguy; 08-24-2013 at 10:33 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,685,713 times
Quote:
Well from my personal experience, Hawaii's water was too rough to swim in and I did find it colder than Floridas water. This could also be due to the Pacific Ocean being more cold than the Atlantic Ocean, also the gulf stream runs through Mexico up through Florida where as Hawaii's trade winds can make the water feel more cold and the waves roughest. Though this also depends on what part of the islands you're on I imagine.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:52 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,685,713 times
Quote:
Ever heard of Waikiki? And nightlife and the like don't really have much to do with beaches.
Lol you've never been to Miami Beach before to make a statement like that friend lol.

Nah but nightlife is only one aspect and not everyone values it. Never been to Waikik beach so can't comment. But Florida beaches always have a ton of fun activities, especially Miami, it's beach culture cannot be beat.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:37 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Both Florida and California has superior beach culture compared to Hawaii. FL and CA has more activity along there beaches than Hawaii IMHO. Hawaii wins in beauty but So Cal and FL are ahead in culture and things to do along the their beaches. There is nothing in Hawaii that is comparable to South Beach.

I also think FL is better for swimming and is safer to swim in than some parts of the the rugged Pacific.
Waikiki is very comparable. It doesn't have nearly the party scene but outside of that it's pretty comparable. Tons of restaurants, hotels, shops, tourists, etc..all within a dense, walkable area.

I think beach culture, especially the surfing culture, is more ingrained EVERYWHERE in Hawaii compared to CA and FL as you're never that far from the beach. Lots of areas in CA and FL that don't have any beach culture whatsoever, especially CA. Even Southern CA there are plenty of inland areas that you don't feel any type of beach culture and a lot of people there don't even go to the beach.

Hawaii's lifestyle and culture revolve around the ocean, the same cannot be said for FL and CA as a whole at all. FL and CA are much larger states with millions of more people living along the coast but pound for pound HI holds its own imo.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:44 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,874,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Waikiki is very comparable. It doesn't have nearly the party scene but outside of that it's pretty comparable. Tons of restaurants, hotels, shops, tourists, etc..

I think beach culture, especially the surfing culture, is more ingrained EVERYWHERE in Hawaii compared to CA and FL as you're never that far from the beach. Lots of areas in CA and FL that don't have any beach culture whatsoever, especially CA. Even Southern CA there are plenty of inland areas that you don't feel any type of beach culture and a lot of people there don't even go to the beach.

Hawaii's lifestyle and culture revolve around the ocean, the same cannot be said for FL and CA as a whole at all.
Well I was speaking for the parts of CA and FL that are situated on the beach not Fresno CA or Ocala FL. Hawaii has good beach culture but again it has nothing that compares to the culture of the beaches in So Cal or So FL for that matter. CA and FL beach culture is more bustling than Hawaii overall IMHO.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Well I was speaking for the parts of CA and FL that are situated on the beach not Fresno CA or Ocala FL. Hawaii has good beach culture but again it has nothing that compares to the culture of the beaches in So Cal or So FL for that matter. CA and FL beach culture is more bustling than Hawaii overall IMHO.
Because they have more people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City