Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What sunny beach state would you rather live?
Florida 45 22.73%
Hawaii 60 30.30%
South East Texas 9 4.55%
Southern California 84 42.42%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 05:22 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,685,713 times

Advertisements

While I do believe that Florida, Hawaii, and California do have better beaches (In that order) , Texas does have some good beaches that a lot of people don't know about.

Happy almost New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 05:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,144,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Like I said, the water of Galveston can be brown.... they can also be a legit blue. With innovation, the blue will be the official color of the water around Galveston.
A truly great beach would not need innovation to become beautiful. Beaches in Hawaii, CA and FL do not, for the most part, use innovation. The FL Keys and Waikiki Beach do ship sand in because of their small coastline, but those beaches aren't really known as being the best in either state. I have also noticed in pretty much all your pictrures of showing TX beaches as having "blue, tropical water", you only seem to show the dunes, umbrellas and hotels instead of the Gulf. Seems like you know that TX waters are unsightly, since you aren't showing us the ocean

I will admit that the dunes and sand in TX are often pretty, but the ocean looks like a dirty diaper.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,105,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Like I said, the water of Galveston can be brown.... they can also be a legit blue. With innovation, the blue will be the official color of the water around Galveston.
I have to give you credit. This is the strangest delusion I have yet come across on C-D. It far surpasses the "expansive patios for pina coladas amid walkable parking lots of non-anal-urbanist outer Richmond Ave." and the "strip clubs located right next to schools and churches throughout greater Houston" claims I've seen on here before. Well done. There must be something in the water down there.

Maybe that's what makes it so brown.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:19 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,148,114 times
It's water is brown because of all the dirt that is washed away from the Mississippi river. But Galveston is not always like that, it can be blue depending on the ocean current. As far as Schlitterbahn, and Moody Gardens go. Try Pleasure Pier, it's where the old Flagship Hotel used to be. It sort of reminds me of the Santa Monica Pier out in California.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I have to give you credit. This is the strangest delusion I have yet come across on C-D. It far surpasses the "expansive patios for pina coladas amid walkable parking lots of non-anal-urbanist outer Richmond Ave." and the "strip clubs located right next to schools and churches throughout greater Houston" claims I've seen on here before. Well done. There must be something in the water down there.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:06 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,900,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
A truly great beach would not need innovation to become beautiful. Beaches in Hawaii, CA and FL do not, for the most part, use innovation. The FL Keys and Waikiki Beach do ship sand in because of their small coastline, but those beaches aren't really known as being the best in either state. I have also noticed in pretty much all your pictrures of showing TX beaches as having "blue, tropical water", you only seem to show the dunes, umbrellas and hotels instead of the Gulf. Seems like you know that TX waters are unsightly, since you aren't showing us the ocean

I will admit that the dunes and sand in TX are often pretty, but the ocean looks like a dirty diaper.
Yes, innovation, and steps in the right direction will allow Houston area beaches to rise as tourist destinations; Corpus to South Padre are fine the way they are. Human activities around the Gulf Coast have interfered with the clarity of Houston area waters, and such innovation will allow any necessary activity to happen while simultaneously keeping the environment attractive, and healthy.

In all the pictures of Texas Beaches I provided, you can clearly see the Gulf water, and it is a clean blue color. So I don't know what you were talking about there.

About innovation, and great beaches though; Whats wrong with innovation when it can turn this:
http://www.uaehistory.com/uploads/ph...fa6310026b.jpg
http://www.skidubai.com/aceimages/sk...-old-photo.jpg
http://libertytotravel.files.wordpre...3/10/photo.jpg
http://www.condohotelsdubai.com/images/dubai-1990.jpg

To this:
http://www.dubiholidays.com/sites/de...e-14329235.jpg
http://www.amazingtoursbd.com/wp-con...ai_hotel_2.jpg
http://airpano.ru/files/dubai2011_3a.jpg
http://www.privateislandsonline.com/...d91-thumbb.jpg

Old 12-31-2013, 08:09 PM

Because Dubai's beaches were already beautiful, tropical beaches with calm, crystal-clear and 80F water temperatures year-round, whereas Galveston has water that looks like dog crap most of the year and the weather/water is either oppressively sultry or too cold to enjoy.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:15 PM

I do not understand why water has to be always blue and have white sand? why does it matter, Galveston is a tourist destination. Do you think New Orleans is any better? It could be worst, look at some of Chinas water. If you want dirty, polluted water than that's your source.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:18 PM

There is still thousands of people that visit Texas beaches each year. Yes there are better beaches that will blow Texas out of the water. But it is what it is. Like I said it could be worst. I would take a Galveston, Corpus Christi, and or SPI over India and parts of China that's for sure.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,900,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post

Well, its all your opinion. I simply see that the coastline in your great state of Texas has lots of potential to be seen as an attractive tourist destination. With a step in the right direction, each and every beach resort on the coastline can rise up to compete with the likes of beaches in other states.

The South Texas beaches have the same turquoise blue water as many Florida beaches, but the sand is off-white(though quite a few Florida beaches are like that as well). All those beaches need is national recognition, and then people can see the beaches of South Texas for the paradises they are.

In the case of the Houston area, human activities in the Gulf have interfered with the clarity of the beaches. Innovation, and good tactics will improve the attractiveness of the environment around the area, and make blue the official color of Galveston's waters.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 12-31-2013 at 08:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City