Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in the Florida Keys+Miami or the Hawaiian Islands?
The Florida Keys + Miami 59 44.03%
The Hawaiian Islands 75 55.97%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:35 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,685,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Well, one substantial difference between Seattle and Hilo is that Seattle is overcast and grey for much of the year, even when it's not raining... you can have days on end where they're no rain, but there's also no break for clear skies in that time, which can go on for months.

Both the Keys and Hawaii are very beautiful. Though they're both tropical, they are still vastly different places on different sides of the globe, and the both offer distinct advantages and disadvantages depending on your preferences and sensibilities.
Agreed, they are both beautiful places and it's a matter of personal preference. Neither choice is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,944,290 times
I'm more west coast oriented, so I'd go with Hawaii. The flight is about the same distance. The islands are much bigger. There are so many different climates with the elevation changes and the rain shadows of the mountains that anyone can find a climate they like. They even get snow up on Moana Loa. Even though Hawaii is tropical, if you are on the dry side of the island the humidity is much more tolerable than the Keys.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,844,022 times
let's face it, there really isn't a beach in all of the Florida Keys worth squat and the smallest beach in all of the Hawaiian Islands is probably larger than all the beaches in the Keys combined.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,591,134 times
The keys are not as tropical as Hawaii; they are too far north. That's why Key West's all-time low temperature is 41, while Honolulu's is a balmier 52.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:43 PM

22,633 posts, read 14,855,142 times
I voted for the Florida Keys - I was just down there 2 months ago - over the Hawai'ian Islands. They aren't as beautiful as Hawai'i nor as interesting. I just voted for them because Florida is closer and more accessible. Hawai'i is wonderful ... but so d-mn expensive! No other reason.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
let's face it, there really isn't a beach in all of the Florida Keys worth squat and the smallest beach in all of the Hawaiian Islands is probably larger than all the beaches in the Keys combined.
Most of the people who have been to the Keys tell me that the beaches are great, just smaller than the rest of Florida beaches. Many of them are man made but that doesn't make them bad. Also Miami Beach is only an hour or two away and that is by hands down far better than any beach in Hawaii! And Siesta Key Beach is considered to be the best beaches in the world by many people and publications.

The Keys are under appreciated on this forum.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Most of the people who have been to the Keys tell me that the beaches are great, just smaller than the rest of Florida beaches. Many of them are man made but that doesn't make them bad. Also Miami Beach is only an hour or two away and that is by hands down far better than any beach in Hawaii! And Siesta Key Beach is considered to be the best beaches in the world by many people and publications.

How makes you think that?

Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How makes you think that?
Lol my own personal and completely subjective opinion based on my own experiences.

I love the long stretch of sand, and there is so much happening all the time. It's amazing.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Lol my own personal and completely subjective opinion based on my own experiences.

I love the long stretch of sand, and there is so much happening all the time. It's amazing.
Have you been to any other island besides the Big Island? That is easily the worst island for beaches considering how few of them there are.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:26 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,844,022 times
Quote:

you funny guy, Siesta Key Beach is nowhere near the Florida Keys

I reluctantly post this link as you know what they say about someone hopelessly lost and a road map...

siesta key beach, florida

btw, I love the Keys but let's not pretend they can match-up with the Hawaiian Islands, OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City