Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ch
Houston, TX 4 15.38%
Forth Worth, TX 2 7.69%
Columbia or Charleston, SC 2 7.69%
Seattle, WA 5 19.23%
Phoenix, AZ 0 0%
Nashville, TN 6 23.08%
Tampa or Miami, FL 3 11.54%
Other - please post with recommendation. Thanks. 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 02:13 AM

24 posts, read 63,058 times

Advertisements

A little about myself. Eli, 21 y/o, specialize in logistics and truck/freight management. Don't mind hot summers, but like winters above 40F and preferably sunny. Non-religious but do believe in a higher power. Very Constitutionally Conservative as well as fiscally and pretty much socially moderate holding the belief that local communities can take care of themselves without government interference. Like to fish and want to begin hunting and freezing my own wild game so hoping my next destination is a bit more gun and hunter friendly than Chicago yet with cheap licenses and long seasons. I'm also attracted to non-supeficial naturally beautiful girls whom aren't scared to ditch the makeup every once in a while. I need sunny winters preferably preferably 45F+ in the winter season. Off the top of my head I am intrigued by Houston, TX, Forth Worth, TX Charleston/Colombia, SC, Phoenix, AZ, Pittsburgh, PA, Louisville, KY Nashville, TN, Seattle, WA, New Orleans, LA, Tampa or Miami, FL (due to weather, don't think transportation industry is too vital in the area.)

The trucking industry is important to me at this point in time. What else is important is clean air, recreational opportunities,common courtesy, lively people, common sense approach to politics, low taxation, individual responsibility, and a live and let live mentality.

Thank you for all insights in advance. Would also appreciate recommendations of other cities.

Eli

Last edited by Chicagoto?; 08-17-2013 at 02:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 02:24 AM

Why Seattle? The beauty there is breathtaking and while I love downpours, I'm not sure if I could put up with the constant drizzle and gloominess come winter time.

Last edited by Chicagoto?; 08-17-2013 at 02:34 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 07:49 AM

367 posts, read 996,749 times
Nashville...but it may be bit of a culture shock coming from Chicago

Old 08-17-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Nashville...but it may be bit of a culture shock coming from Chicago
I'm entirely not in opposition to country music and beautifully well-spoken southern ladies.

I'm tired of Chicago politics and all the ordinances. Don't get me wrong Chicago in July is beautiful and a great place to visit but life downtown is not for me. If only Houston beaches were like those in FL, I would be there tomorrow. Dallas seems like a safe pick but nothing exciting. Miami,Tampa, and FL in general I believe may be lacking trucking companies as there is nothing but watermelon season where money is to be made.

I want to be close to the city yet close enough to get away to a nice beach or a hike in the mountains yet still hold my salary as a freight manager. If only Hawaii were inland...and a bit more libertarian.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:44 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Charleston, South Carolina-- young, kinda hip town with great night life. Also, warm-ish sunny winters, im sure you'll be in good company with other hunters fishermen there.... Moderate southern city socially... meaning not too religious, affordable housing, close to some nice beaches. Long summers, short mild winters.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Charleston, South Carolina-- young, kinda hip town with great night life. Also, warm-ish sunny winters, im sure you'll be in good company with other hunters fishermen there.... Moderate southern city socially... meaning not too religious, affordable housing, close to some nice beaches. Long summers, short mild winters.
Is the housing in Charleston anything like that in New Orleans. And if so, how much would it cost to rent a small house or apartment not far from the city and the ocean?

Old 08-17-2013, 02:35 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Have you considered Idaho, specifically the Boise area? It's a bit colder than your stated preference but from what I understand in most areas of the state winters are quite sunny and in terms of politics (libertarian, gun friendly, live and let live, not terribly socially conservative, etc) and outdoor hunting/fishing/etc. opportunities, it sounds like it's right up your alley. Plus natural beauty nearby which is unrivaled by most of the other cities you mentioned. No beach nearby, but plenty of mountains for hiking. The only thing I can't speak to is the trucking industry in that area.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Have you considered Idaho, specifically the Boise area? It's a bit colder than your stated preference but from what I understand in most areas of the state winters are quite sunny and in terms of politics (libertarian, gun friendly, live and let live, not terribly socially conservative, etc) and outdoor hunting/fishing/etc. opportunities, it sounds like it's right up your alley. Plus natural beauty nearby which is unrivaled by most of the other cities you mentioned. No beach nearby, but plenty of mountains for hiking. The only thing I can't speak to is the trucking industry in that area.
Pondered Boise before, seems isolated and I'd have no idea what to expect. Is Boise near any rivers or lakes?You guys elected a terrific statesmen in Raul Labrador whom I deeply admire.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoto? View Post
Pondered Boise before, seems isolated and I'd have no idea what to expect. Is Boise near any rivers or lakes?You guys elected a terrific statesmen in Raul Labrador whom I deeply admire.
Oh, I'm not from there haha. I just went based off of what I know of that area. Looking at google maps there do appear to be several lakes nearby and the Boise River flows right through the city. It is a bit isolated... but depends on how you look at it. 6 hours to Portland, a little under 5 hrs to SLC.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Why Nashville over the others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City