Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yes, but the nearly 100% Black areas of Chicago proper makeup probably just over half the city proper.

Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5f/Race_and_ethnicity_Chicago.png/1024px-Race_and_ethnicity_Chicago.png

If you look at the map, the blue dotted areas REALLY stand out. And most of that is within the city proper.
Yes but you are comparing all of something to part of another. It logically follows that if all of Detroit is demographically like only half of Chicago, then half of Chicago is unlike Detroit. And that is certainly the case.

Quote:
Chicagos Asian population, for a major american city, is really quite small, and limited to just a couple neighborhoods, leaving most Chicagoans/Chicagolanders jsut as unfamiliar with Asian culture as people from a smaller, less diverse metro.
Well I don't disagree with this statement but Chicago does have a bigger Asian population than most Midwest cities and certainly Detroit.

Quote:
Chicago does have a much larger hispanic population obviously, but metro Detroit has a much larger middle eastern population.

Overall, I would agree that the north side, downtown, etc. are nothing like Detroit, but I can't see how anyone can argue for the west and south sides.
Again you're right but that is further evidence of demographic differences between Detroit and Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Did you recently visit or something? I remember you half talking **** about Chicago just a handful of months ago.
Aye yai yai, this is my problem with you rustbelters from Chicago, Philly, etc.. you folks cant ever take a compliment the right way. Youre always skeptical of it. Just take the compliment and move on bro. Its no big deal.

I love Chicago but that doesnt mean I like all the Chicago boosters.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,705 times
Well I haven't been to Chicago before, but I can say that you shouldn't really take what people on here say too seriously. I hang out in the Florida section of this site, trust me that section has a lot more haters than most of the other sections, but do I let it get to me? No. It's just subjective opinions, hell most of the people bashing it have never even been there before and are basing their views off of what they see in TV and Movies (Like Miami Vice and Scarface).

I understand wanting to defend your home team, but don't let people get to you. The fact is that YOU are happy in Chicago, that's all that matters. Why do you care what I or someone else thinks about it?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:58 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
I never understand what Tex?Il? motive is. I mean most of the stuff he says is true but he's basically been repeating the same ole same ole for a few years now.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
I'm not sure the comparisons to Detroit unless to rag on Chicago, why not compare to suburbs of St Louis or Milwaukee... They have ghettos also ya know?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Who here has actually been to Detroit? I don't mean the airport, suburbs or a quick drive to the MGM, but has actually been around the city? I've been to Chicago once, granted only for a week, but have been to Detroit 4 times now. I really don't see too many similarities in terms of housing(Detroit is less dense, and MUCH more rundown), downtowns are complete different(there is very little downtown Detroit), races or ethnic groups(though both cities have large Arab populations in the suburbs). I really don't see many similarities at all. I find that Detroit and Cleveland are MUCH more comparable than Detroit and Chicago.
I agree. I've been in the ghetto in Detroit and Cleveland. They're indistinguishable from each other. Cleveland does not have rural areas with paved streets with potholes, which desolate areas of Detroit now has, but there are still vacant blocks . Not sure if Chicago is without vacant blocks though. It appears as if that was the case 30 years ago though.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
man I'm from the south side, and as messed up as a majority of the neighborhoods are over there Detroit is really on a whole nother level to me. there are neighborhoods like englewood and roseland and a few others that have that bombed out look (like detroit) but your average south side block probably looks something like these

https://maps.google.com/maps/svpw?ur...ed&hl=en&gl=us

https://maps.google.com/maps/svpw?ur...ed&hl=en&gl=us

As far as detroit, not all of the neighborhoods look like a warzone ofcourse detroit has a more SERIOUS problem as far as decay and abandonment.

Last edited by mas23; 08-30-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 10:57 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I spend around 4 months of the year in Mexico and while I dont stay in Mexico City, I would say I have spent more time there than the average Mexican who isn't from / doesn't live there. I never understood what the big deal was about DF other than the size and all of people and the awful awful weather. Yes there are some lovely LA-esque places to be found in an around the city but the majority of the place is not so pleasant.

Just curious what people find so world class about it.
Big city amenities
COL is cheap
Middle class people can actually purchase a nice home in a nice community.
Great food
Great shopping
Great city for professional sports
Pretty good economy
Jobs
Cultural amenities

Summers are hot and humid but so are alot of cities. I guess the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Last edited by pwright1; 08-30-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 11:19 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
That's a good list but most of those things aren't something an outsider visiting would see or be interested in. The shopping is nice but also dependent on what you want. The food, like the rest of Mexico, I have found to be hit or miss. You can have the greatest meal ever at one place only to return at a later date and be disgusted. I don't necessarily blame this on the chefs though, it is hard to run a kitchen when the busyness of your restaurant is in constant flux (empty one night or season, packed the next).

Old 08-30-2013, 06:20 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I never understand what Tex?Il? motive is. I mean most of the stuff he says is true but he's basically been repeating the same ole same ole for a few years now.
Because Chicago is so popular, no matter where I go, its almost like I have to explain to others why I don't continue to live there, even though I'm from the area.

Because its so popular, I almost have to give an explanation. And some still look at you almost suspiciously, because Chicago is supposed to have it all, why would you move? I truly envy those who are from a less popular, more "lame" place, because they can freely move elsewhere where they really enjoy, without others questioning why they left such a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City