Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 10:26 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
So skyscrapers are not structures?
Of course a skyscraper is literally a structure, and is literally a tower.

But when people refer to "tallest freestanding structure" or "tallest freestanding tower", they are referring to TV towers, not regular skyscraper buildings. That's why Tokyo Skytree is always referred to as "tallest freestanding tower/structure" and that's why Burj Khalifa is always referred to as "tallest building".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 10:28 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Uh, you have serious reading comprehension problems.

You claimed that there was a substantive difference in the terms "free standing tower" and free standing structure", which is obviously nonsense. The terms are used interchangeably in reference to the Tokyo Sky Tree as the tallest freestanding tower/structure, as the various posted sources confirm. There is no reference to the Burj Khalifa as a "freestanding tower", for obvious reasons. It isn't a TV tower, which was apparently news to you.

The reason you resorted to this weirdness is because you got caught with your "pants down", trying to claim that CN Tower was famous as the tallest freestanding structure, yet you didn't even know the current tallest freestanding structure. Kind of embarrassing, no?
If you cant find this so called post where I said the Burj is a tower, then you can just admit then lying is not a good attribute of yours The fact that you dont know the difference between tower and structure is sad.

This is for you and only you. It details free-standing structures, towers (and it teaches you the difference and even lists them!). And is also details what is not free standing.

Again since you dont read...

Tallest free standing structure = Burj
Tallest fre standing tower = Skytree.

Please educate me on how the Burj is not the tallest free standing structure? Its not a "tower" and Im happy to educate you on that since English is not your first language.

Burj Dubai: World's Tallest Freestanding Structure, Now And Forever
Burj Dubai: World's Tallest Freestanding Structure Now And Forever - Business Insider

Dubai tower now world's tallest free-standing structure
AFP: Dubai tower now world's tallest free-standing structure

List of tallest freestanding structures in the world
List of tallest freestanding structures in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also please find the post where I said the Burj is the tallest free standing "TOWER". Take your time.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:29 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
So skyscrapers are not structures?
I guess we learn something new everyday. Buildings are not structures anymore. LOL.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:32 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
He's doing it in context to a particular poster rather than trying to stick it to Atlanta....

I've actually heard some very positive things about Atlanta actually and it is on my list of places to see in the U.S... haven't swung by yet by I will! I'm sure there are negatives to the place but it is like that for every city...

Right - I get that, but it seemed like piling on Atlanta has its good points - lots of interesting intown neighborhoods. There are things that will surprise you about it, and there are a some exciting projects in the works like Ponce City Market, which will probably be open when you're able to make it down here

Old 09-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Who said anything about the Burj being a tv tower?? Its a hotel/residential building.
Find a post in this thread where that was said.
Only you made such a claim. You claimed that Burj Khalifa was the tallest freestanding tower/structure on earth.

In contrast, I cited news sources, and Emporis, that confirm that Tokyo Sky tree is considered the tallest freestanding tower/structure on earth, and Burj Khalifa is actually the tallest building on earth.

Quote:
Honestly I think English may not be your first language (Which is totally fine! Not everyone is fluent in understanding and comprehending English) so I will let you slide. As for the rest, I will not even bother educating you.
Actually you're right, and completely irrelevant. It's not exactly a mark in your favor if English is your first language.

I understand you're a bit embarrassed that your central point is rendered absurd, as you don't even know the tallest freestanding tower right now, when your whole point is that this is universally known. I guess the Ostankino Tower is beloved throughout the world, right? And the Sky Tree rivals the Eifel Tower in global renown?

Old 09-21-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Again since you dont read...

Tallest free standing structure = Burj
Tallest fre standing tower = Skytree.
You can continue to backtrack all you want. The Burj Dubai is the tallest building on earth, and the Skytree is the tallest free standing tower/structure on earth.

The Burj Dubai obviously isn't referred to as a "freestanding structure" to distinguish itself from other buildings, because it's self-evident that a building is both A. a structure, and B. freestanding, by definition. If it didn't meet these conditions, it wouldn't exist as a building.

You don't distinguish a structure from other structures by referring to components that are self-evident. That's why the Tokyo Sky Tree is the tallest freestanding tower on earth, and the Burj Khalifa isn't, even though Burj is quite obviously both freestanding, and a tower.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:48 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
Of course a skyscraper is literally a structure, and is literally a tower.

But when people refer to "tallest freestanding structure" or "tallest freestanding tower", they are referring to TV towers, not regular skyscraper buildings. That's why Tokyo Skytree is always referred to as "tallest freestanding tower/structure" and that's why Burj Khalifa is always referred to as "tallest building".
Wrong. "Structure" is anything that is built and includes both buildings and towers. Burj Khalifa is the tallest structure in the world, as backed up by the numerous links that mrjun has provided.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Wrong. "Structure" is anything that is built and includes both buildings and towers. Burj Khalifa is the tallest structure in the world, as backed up by the numerous links that mrjun has provided.
What the hell are you talking about? We aren't talking about the "tallest structure in the world", which is obviously Burj Khalifa.

We are talking about the "tallest freestanding tower in the world", which is obviously Tokyo Sky Tree. The key word is "freestanding". MrJun claimed that Burj Khalifa is the tallest freestanding tower in the world.

He claimed that TV towers were famous if they were tallest in the world, and used CN Tower as evidence, then claimed the Burj was the modern-day equivalent. Obviously the SkyTree is the modern-day equivalent, even though, yes, technically, the Burj is a structure and a tower.

For the purposes of "tallest", per Emporis and major news sources "tallest structure/tower" refers to TV towers, and "tallest building" refers to regular occupied buildings.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:51 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Only you made such a claim. You claimed that Burj Khalifa was the tallest freestanding tower/structure on earth.

In contrast, I cited news sources, and Emporis, that confirm that Tokyo Sky tree is considered the tallest freestanding tower/structure on earth, and Burj Khalifa is actually the tallest building on earth.

Actually you're right, and completely irrelevant. It's not exactly a mark in your favor if English is your first language.

I understand you're a bit embarrassed that your central point is rendered absurd, as you don't even know the tallest freestanding tower right now, when your whole point is that this is universally known. I guess the Ostankino Tower is beloved throughout the world, right? And the Sky Tree rivals the Eifel Tower in global renown?
Guy, you are completely wrong. I don't understand why you insist on going on with this. I certainly don't care all that much for Toronto, but it's ridiculous to so ardently defend absolutely nothing. Did you try to revisit what freestanding means? You're adding that slash there with tower/structure, but the guy explicitly said structure. Are you, in fact, a giant muppet? If so, may I have your dairy products? Here is a butt ((

Old 09-21-2013, 10:53 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? We aren't talking about the "tallest structure in the world", which is obviously Burj Khalifa.

We are talking about the tallest freestanding tower in the world, which is obviously Tokyo Sky Tree. MrJun claimed that Burj Khalifa is the tallest freestanding tower in the world.
He said structure. You tried to turn it into tower and backpedal. It was funny, but maybe you truly believe yourself in which case you should get better fantasies. The kind with bronies and rainbow colonics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City