Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Toronto, ON (Canada) 69 48.94%
New York, NY (USA) 72 51.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times

Advertisements

New York easily. I would move there if the right job opportunity came along and I have looked in the past. Taking a smaller space wouldn't be a deal killer anyway, it's actually sometimes harder to find nice but cheap small efficiency studios in Chicago. The market is more for 1 and 2 bedroom places in the "Deal" ranges that are more modern. I have a 1 bedroom now and to be honest it's actually too much space with a big living room, big dining room, walk in closet, big storage unit, very nice though, but my apt feels pretty empty. The thing is in Chicago I Can get a nice 1br for a 900-1000. Or go down to a studio for 800-900. So what's the point?

Canada is not really feasible, would have to find an employer offering a visa, wouldn't have citizenship benefits.

Last edited by grapico; 08-21-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:26 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,795,840 times
New York, New York of course. Easy decision..... and not only because Toronto's in Canada.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,795,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
New York easily. I would move there if the right job opportunity came along and I have looked in the past. Taking a smaller space wouldn't be a deal killer anyway, it's actually sometimes harder to find nice but cheap small efficiency studios in Chicago. The market is more for 1 and 2 bedroom places in the "Deal" ranges that are more modern. I have a 1 bedroom now and to be honest it's actually too much space with a big living room, big dining room, walk in closet, big storage unit, very nice though, but my apt feels pretty empty. The thing is in Chicago I Can get a nice 1br for a 900-1000. Or go down to a studio for 800-900. So what's the point?

Canada is not really feasible, would have to find an employer offering a visa, wouldn't have citizenship benefits.
You also forgot that New York has about 1000 times more of everything than Toronto (and don't take this literally, but you get the point).

Old 08-21-2013, 04:05 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
New York City.

But I'm a little bit biased given that I would automatically pick Manhattan over any place in the Western Hemisphere. Plus, it's the quintessential east coast city and that seals the deal for me.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
You also forgot that New York has about 1000 times more of everything than Toronto (and don't take this literally, but you get the point).
lol...

Old 08-21-2013, 04:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This is like another one of those "Buffalo vs Chicago" threads
There are factors that do check in Toronto's favour even in this matchup (The OP did state Long term btw), but for sure more for NYC than Toronto. Having said that your Buffalo vs Chicago comparison is more than an unfair analogy but I was expecting this type of rhetoric from some in here.

A better analogy to Buffalo vs Chicago would be - Minneapolis vs NYC.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2013 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
What does NYC offer that Toronto does not? I've been to NYC more than 100 times and Toronto only once.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:47 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
What does NYC offer that Toronto does not? I've been to NYC more than 100 times and Toronto only once.
I can see why NYC would run away with this due to size and stature alone... obviously it is a bigger, more famous city.. They both offer tons but NYC just offers more on pretty much every level... Both have fantastic ethnic diversity and are the biggest of each perspective country.

I see Toronto's recent growth spurt as sort of an earlier version of Manhattan - currently we are building twice the number of Highrises and as such are becoming quite transformative both in pedestrian traffic and built form adding to the vibrancy of our DT core.. Are we NYC - not close but It is exciting to see what Toronto has become and what it will become will only add to the stature and prominence of the city. In fairness to Toronto - no other city in N.A comes close either...

Old 08-21-2013, 04:59 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,520 times
NYC will be #1 in North America for a while. So any city that is compared to it will most likely lose. We are talking about a city of 8.3 mill, the city that never sleeps, if you can make it there you can make it anywhere...

Toronto, Chicago, LA, SF, etc. can all fight for the #2, #3, #4, #5 spots.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:07 PM

654 posts, read 1,908,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Not getting any of this. How is Toronto like Miami/Fort Lauderdale, and how has it taken the "best of Europe"?

Also how does Toronto have better highways? There are like 3 highways in Toronto.

And better landscape? Most of Toronto is flat and featureless, and the surrounding countryside is mostly flat farmland. People go crazy over the Don Valley, the Scarborough Cliffs, and really anything out of the ordinary.

NYC is surrounded by ocean, mountains, forests, and the like. Much more natural scenery.
Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City