Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Percentage-wise, yes. Total population increase, no, but very close.
Playing that game?

Well, the 10,621 additional people seems a very insignificant number to translate into Seattle "booming" and Denver just "floating along."

Seattle gained 112,348
Denver gained 101,727
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 05:49 PM

22 posts, read 60,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Ah, gotcha. Well Seattle probably has a slight edge, but I'd say they're fairly comparable. I'm personally kind of done with the club scene, much more into microbreweries, food trucks, and live music these days, so my 3AM nights out are less frequent lately. Anyway I just mentioned NYC because outside of the city and Vegas, there are very few American cities that are always hopping into the morning. Overall, I'd say it's easier to compare Portland to Seattle than Seattle to Denver. I'd say overall that a lot of people (IMHO) moving to Seattle do so for the culture and a lot of people that move to Denver do so intentionally to have close access to the mountains. There's a good restaurant/drinking scene in Denver, but overall I feel that it's a bit more ingrained in the culture in CO to get out and take advantage of the activities in the hills. So, as much as I like Denver, I could see it getting boring if you didn't go to the mountains very often.....
i dont do 3am parties that often anymore either, and i like the more laid back options you mentioned as well, esp live music, and yea i agree there are only a few cities on that scale and actually nyc is on its own scale, too bad its hard to use it lol i live 15 min from midtown manhattan and dont go that much jus cuz its a pain with all the commuting, parking and overpriced everything, i went to BK the other day and spent $25 jus on tolls getting there and back, not even counting the parking, then u got a $40 cover, before u even do anyth ur out of like a hundred bux, like wtf, and u dont kno if the event is good or not, and lately 9/10 its not that great, almost makes it not worth going, nyc nightlife fell off actually

Old 08-21-2013, 05:50 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
As I had previously stated, I'm not too familiar with Denver other than it's nice.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 PM

274 posts, read 705,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickclackpow View Post
Trying to decide between these two. I am very familiar with Portland so wondering how they compare to it. I am pretty familiar with Seattle, but to a lesser extent.

Things that attract me to Seattle: pretty major city, good amount of things to do, familiarity, more cultured and white collar than Portland, good scenery and nature, nice summers, no summer humidity, ocean not far.
Things that don't: mainly the weather that can wear you down-overcast, rainy most of the yr, introverted NW attitude aka seattle freeze, not very diverse.

Things that attract me to Denver: smaller, but still decent size, sunny, 4 seasons, nature, no summer humidity, more diverse, cheaper.
Things that don't: seems more hickish, less cosmopolitan, unknown to me so more potential for "underwater rocks" (unpredicted issues), no ocean, not sure about nightlife, don't mind the cold, but snow might be annoying when driving.

What's a better fit?
Neither is really leaps and bounds more diverse than the other, at the metro level anyway. Being a Pacific Rim city, Seattle feels a bit more international, which I think catches people off guard sometimes because it's not particularly diverse by US standards.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Playing that game?

Well, the 10,621 additional people seems a very insignificant number to translate into Seattle "booming" and Denver just "floating along."

Seattle gained 112,348
Denver gained 101,727
This has nothing to do with games and I have absolutely nothing to gain from either being "better". Furthermore, I said it was close, so you can roll your eyes elsewhere.

The fact remains that metros with smaller populations that show higher percentage increases in population does not always equate to an actual higher population increase. I thought that was common knowledge, but I guess that needs to be reiterated to some folks here on CD.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
As I had previously stated, I'm not too familiar with Denver other than it's nice.
Sorry, I didn't mean to slam you, just pointing out that both cities are booming, especially if you consider transit expansion and infill projects as the barometer.

To the OP, both cities are great. Accessibility-wise, both are better than Manhattan! I generally find it a little easier to get around Denver than Seattle, as Denver is flat and the city itself is less expensive (though its catching up lately) and more centralized. Most things in central Denver are a cheap cab fare away, and Denver is definitely a cab-friendly place.

Though I'd still give Seattle the nod on diversity of nightlife- Seattle just feels bigger and more international- I'd give Denver the nod on live music, especially if you like jambands or electronic. Lots of venues within close proximity, and no real competition from other cities nearby, so Denver gets more than it's share of bands. Oh, and Red Rocks is less than 15 miles from downtown, which is amazing.....

Old 08-21-2013, 06:19 PM

22 posts, read 60,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to slam you, just pointing out that both cities are booming, especially if you consider transit expansion and infill projects as the barometer.

To the OP, both cities are great. Accessibility-wise, both are better than Manhattan! I generally find it a little easier to get around Denver than Seattle, as Denver is flat and the city itself is less expensive (though its catching up lately) and more centralized. Most things in central Denver are a cheap cab fare away, and Denver is definitely a cab-friendly place.

Though I'd still give Seattle the nod on diversity of nightlife- Seattle just feels bigger and more international- I'd give Denver the nod on live music, especially if you like jambands or electronic. Lots of venues within close proximity, and no real competition from other cities nearby, so Denver gets more than it's share of bands. Oh, and Red Rocks is less than 15 miles from downtown, which is amazing.....
yea, accessibility is important to me, since im the typa person that likes to go out in the city, but live in the burbs

Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Others have responded but it's not hard to find that Denver is growing faster than Seattle. Here is an link with the recent growth rates.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The discussion is not about MSA growth (a totally different beast), it's about densification and growth within the two cities' respective downtown areas and inner neighborhoods. Within these areas, both are growing very quickly, but Seattle has more residential units and commercial development occuring, largely because its urban core is significantly bigger.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Both are great, from what I've heard.

I can only really speak about Seattle given that I don't know much about Denver besides that my brother-in-law recently opened a granite business there (my family loves it there). I live in Seattle. Seattle is on fire right now. Cranes are everywhere with highrises popping up all over the place. Amazon alone is currently building 3 new skyscrapers. A new waterfront is being developed, lightrail, every neighborhood is densifying and densifying... it feels like the city is exploding with growth and it's very exciting.

Denver isn't exploding. It's doing pretty well but like all US cities (save for a select few such as Seattle) it's sort of just floating along.
How is Seattle "exploding" when Denver is just "floating along?" Denver may not be as important or as populated as Seattle is, but this city is moving along, growing, and becoming more advances as the days go by. "Floating along" are cities like New Orleans or Detroit or St. Louis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
The discussion is not about MSA growth (a totally different beast), it's about densification and growth within the two cities' respective downtown areas and inner neighborhoods. Within these areas, both are growing very quickly, but Seattle has more residential units and commercial development occuring, largely because its urban core is significantly bigger.
Well isn't that expected for a larger city?

Last edited by Mezter; 08-21-2013 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickclackpow View Post
does your body eventually get used to denver altitude fully or you're always less functional than at a lower area?
It depends on the person. Some people hate it and move back to lower elevations. Others get use to it, and are able to breathe perfectly fine. I don't think it's a huge problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City