Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Diverse
Houston 45 57.69%
DMV (Washington, DC) 33 42.31%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:49 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,859,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Never been to Houston so I can't speak on them, but LA and NY are the only metros i've seen that match DMV's diversity. Houston may be considered more diverse numerically in terms of "White, Black, Hispanic, Asian" but I doubt by country break down it has more than DC.

From my understanding Houston is very diverse but with a lot of that being Mexican i'm not sure what other nations make up their diversity. DC literally has people from practically every country on the planet represented here. DC is the largest Ethiopian population in US, 2nd largest El Salvadorian, largest Nigerian population outside of NY metro, heavy Caribbean population from almost every island, and many many more.

Miami is not more diverse because they don't have the African populace that DC has and probably less Asians too, although i'm not sure. Miami is however more diverse than DC in it's segments of Hispanic and Caribbean population.
Houston, not NYC has the largest Nigerian population in America.

Houston also has the 3rd largest Vietnamese population outside of California (LA & San Jose)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 02:52 AM

Foreign born

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL: 38.21%
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA: 36.44%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA: 34.07%
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA: 29.69%
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA: 28.99%
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA: 23.40%
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX: 21.94%
Las Vegas-Paradise, NV: 21.75%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV: 21.61%
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA: 21.32%
Honolulu, HI: 19.33%
Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA: 17.94%
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI: 17.78%
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX: 17.51%
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA: 16.93%
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH: 16.79%
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL: 16.40%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX: 14.94%
Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ: 14.51%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA: 13.25%
Tucson, AZ: 12.94%
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA: 12.47%
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL: 12.45%
Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO: 12.10%
Salt Lake City, UT: 11.78%
San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX: 11.71%
Raleigh-Cary, NC: 11.42%
Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC: 12.27%
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD: 9.79%
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI: 9.73%
Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI: 8.70%

Old 08-25-2013, 03:14 AM

200 posts, read 293,158 times
I've lived in Houston for the past 5 years and now doing my graduate school in DC right now (also spent 5 months as an intern here before). I would give the edge to the DC area, although it's really close. I'm probably more likely to run into a minority in Houston, but DC has more people from all corners of the world with the embassies and large amount of world organizations being based here certainly contributing to that. Also, DMV is getting about 50 percent more international immigrants than Houston at the moment with higher totals from everywhere but the North American continent. I will say though, Houston definitely seems more integrated and all people of different backgrounds seem to mingle together more than people in DC based on my experiences.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Foreign born

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL: 38.21%
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA: 36.44%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA: 34.07%
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA: 29.69%
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA: 28.99%
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA: 23.40%
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX: 21.94%
Las Vegas-Paradise, NV: 21.75%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV: 21.61%
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA: 21.32%
Honolulu, HI: 19.33%
Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA: 17.94%
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI: 17.78%
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX: 17.51%
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA: 16.93%
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH: 16.79%
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL: 16.40%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX: 14.94%
Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ: 14.51%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA: 13.25%
Tucson, AZ: 12.94%
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA: 12.47%
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL: 12.45%
Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO: 12.10%
Salt Lake City, UT: 11.78%
San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX: 11.71%
Raleigh-Cary, NC: 11.42%
Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC: 12.27%
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD: 9.79%
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI: 9.73%
Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI: 8.70%
With most coming from Mexico.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
With most coming from Mexico.
& Asian countries.

Houston's Nigerian population is 2nd to none.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:34 AM

6,212 posts, read 9,154,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Never been to Houston so I can't speak on them, but LA and NY are the only metros i've seen that match DMV's diversity. Houston may be considered more diverse numerically in terms of "White, Black, Hispanic, Asian" but I doubt by country break down it has more than DC.

From my understanding Houston is very diverse but with a lot of that being Mexican i'm not sure what other nations make up their diversity. DC literally has people from practically every country on the planet represented here. DC is the largest Ethiopian population in US, 2nd largest El Salvadorian, largest Nigerian population outside of NY metro, heavy Caribbean population from almost every island, and many many more.

Miami is not more diverse because they don't have the African populace that DC has and probably less Asians too, although i'm not sure. Miami is however more diverse than DC in it's segments of Hispanic and Caribbean population.
The DMV also has a sizeable Vietnamese, Chinese, and Korean population, the second largest Indian population outside of the NYC metro area, a decent sized Honduran and Filipino population, the fourth largest Pakistani population after the NYC, LA, and Houston areas, and we also have the largest population of African immigrants in the country according to the 2000 census (Don't know whether or not if we still are, have to see if the 2010 census said anything), with various African immigrants coming from Nigeria, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, South Africa, and Egypt.

The DMV is inhabited by people from all over the globe thanks to several big draws. The embassies, IMF, World Bank, Organization of the American States, American Red Cross, foreign lobbying groups, Voice of America, many of the international news agencies that have branch stations in the area such as CNN Washington bureau, RT Washington bureau, Al Jazeera America Washington bureau, BBC World News America Headquarters, Discovery Communications, Travel Channel, NatGeo, PBS, NPR, Smithsonian Networks, etc., the strong healthcare market around here, and of course, the massive presence of many colleges and universities and research institutions such as GMU, G-Town U, Howard U, Catholic U, Gallaudet U, UVA, UMD-CP, UMUC, NOVACC, PGCC, Montgomery College, UDC, GWU, SAIS, National Institutes of Health, Washington Hospital Center, Children's National Medical Center, American U, Corcoran College of Art and Design, Strayer U, UNVA, Stratford U, BSU, Capitol College, College of Southern Maryland, etc. For foreign immigrants trying to engage in advanced training here in the U.S., the sky's the limit with these multitude of high education options here in the DMV.

Last edited by tcave360; 08-25-2013 at 04:16 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 10:16 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,328,535 times
DC has about 150k more Asians than Houston. It has about 500k more blacks. DC's black population is more diverse. Large Ghanian, Ethiopian, and Caribbean to go along with the large black American population. Houston from my understanding actually has the largest Nigerian population but I have seen stats that says New York does. Nigerians are the ones that said Houston had the largest Nigerian population outside Nigeria and London.

Houston and DC Hispanic population is where Houston rapidly closes the gap. Even though the majority is Mexican, the Hispanic population is just as diverse as DC. Houston has over 2 million Hispanics while DC has just under a million. I think the makeup of the white population is similar. DC was not like the northeast in this regard. The white population is just starting to diversify in these two cities over the past 30 years.

Overall, like I said before. It's a tie. If you have to pick one over the other, its slight at best.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:30 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,832,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Miami? I mean DC maybe more multicultural but you wouldn't know it. Most of the diversity is down in Virginia.
Well, a lot is in Virginia, but there's a pretty diverse population in Maryland and in the Northwest from U-Street up. Foggy Bottom has a fairly diverse population, but it's all because of George Washington University and you could say the same about any college town.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,328,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Well, a lot is in Virginia, but there's a pretty diverse population in Maryland and in the Northwest from U-Street up. Foggy Bottom has a fairly diverse population, but it's all because of George Washington University and you could say the same about any college town.
Yeah I know there's large diversity in MoCo. Not really PG yet. DC has its spots. That's why I said most of the metros diversity is in Nova.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,598,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
DC has about 150k more Asians than Houston. It has about 500k more blacks. DC's black population is more diverse. Large Ghanian, Ethiopian, and Caribbean to go along with the large black American population. Houston from my understanding actually has the largest Nigerian population but I have seen stats that says New York does. Nigerians are the ones that said Houston had the largest Nigerian population outside Nigeria and London.

Houston and DC Hispanic population is where Houston rapidly closes the gap. Even though the majority is Mexican, the Hispanic population is just as diverse as DC. Houston has over 2 million Hispanics while DC has just under a million. I think the makeup of the white population is similar. DC was not like the northeast in this regard. The white population is just starting to diversify in these two cities over the past 30 years.

Overall, like I said before. It's a tie. If you have to pick one over the other, its slight at best.
Actually, even though Houston's Hispanic population is far larger, DC's is far more diverse.

I'm not in a place to break down the numbers now, but by the end of the day I will. At that point, the numbers will show DC is actually more multicultural than Houston by a good bit. The only place in all the US that is definitively more multicultural than the DMV is NYC. A case could even be made for DC over LA and the Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City