Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Puget Sound Region vs Hudson Valley
Puget Sound region 55 66.27%
Hudson Valley 28 33.73%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:47 PM

100 posts, read 226,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you're into the outdoors (love mountains, skiing, backpacking, maybe kayaking?) and appreciate having a variety of outdoor landscapes (from thick forests to desert to snowcapped volcanoes) nearby than the PNW is the clear winner. The PNW is spectacular, the Hudson Valley is pretty. Or, if you like the stereotypical "west coast vibe" — laid-back, hip, green, a bit of a stereotype but people do seem more pleasant than New Yorkers, though some of it is just gruffness.

Otherwise, go with the Hudson Valley. I assume you have jobs lined up somewhere nearby, of course. Do you have friends or family in either place? If it's either/or, might as well be someplace where you have connections to start with.
Agree with the outdoors aspect. Spent many years living in Boulder and certainly love the outdoors.

Lining up jobs won't be a problem in either location (or anywhere for that matter). No family in either location (other than a best friend up in Bellingham), but we've never made moves based on family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 10:19 PM

Update after quite a few years away from this thread. We lived in the Hudson Valley and then in midcoast Maine. We've settled permanently in Friday Harbor and have never been happier. This truly is our happy place.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:43 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Congratulations. Looks like Puget Sound finally won in the end. How did you like the Hudson Valley?

Old 01-10-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Congratulations. Looks like Puget Sound finally won in the end. How did you like the Hudson Valley?
Hudson Valley is beautiful; just not a fan of NY in general though. The beauty in NY or New England simply isn't comparable to the Pacific Northwest. Hudson Valley can be really fun though.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You didn't mention an interest in NYC or other city advantages of living in the area... So go with puget

I look at it like this...

The ne area is stacked with great cities and has pretty good nature. The nw is stacked with great nature and has pretty good cities

The Pudget Sound area is nearby Seattle, Portland and Vancouver, BC. All 3 of those are pretty awesome cities that with a lot of their own history to see and explore, especially of the OP was born and raised in the NE to begin with. They're not as big or historical but they're great in their own way.

As a big outdoors enthusiast myself, the northeast doesn't come close to the NW. Which makes this an easy vote for me.

As for the OP, I'd suggest you go explore the NW while you've got the opportunity. If you're from the NE you can always go back, the road goes both directions as my FIL likes to say. The adventures to be had in the NW are too good to pass up.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:08 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Of all the US cities, Seattle-Bellevue area has the most potential to grow into a modern vertical forest. There's an urban growth boundary to protect the Cascades foothills, which will significantly limit sprawl. Sound Transit is also spending billions building up the light rail/subway system.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:09 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default I recommend Bainbridge Island

This is probably your best bet. You can ride the ferry to Seattle and still live in Kitsap County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtostarboard View Post
Agree with the outdoors aspect. Spent many years living in Boulder and certainly love the outdoors.

Lining up jobs won't be a problem in either location (or anywhere for that matter). No family in either location (other than a best friend up in Bellingham), but we've never made moves based on family.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
The Pudget Sound area is nearby Seattle, Portland and Vancouver, BC. All 3 of those are pretty awesome cities that with a lot of their own history to see and explore, especially of the OP was born and raised in the NE to begin with. They're not as big or historical but they're great in their own way.

As a big outdoors enthusiast myself, the northeast doesn't come close to the NW. Which makes this an easy vote for me.

As for the OP, I'd suggest you go explore the NW while you've got the opportunity. If you're from the NE you can always go back, the road goes both directions as my FIL likes to say. The adventures to be had in the NW are too good to pass up.
We're permanent Friday Harbor residents now.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:02 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Hey guys, the OP has settled in Friday Harbor, WA permanently. He thanks you all for your input.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 318 times
May I ask why it didn’t work out in midcoast maine? I’ve been in boulder with my husband and 3 kids for 8 years. Can’t afford it and want to own a home. Moving to Camden in 2 weeks. Would love to hear what you thought about Maine. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City