Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 12:33 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times

Advertisements

When I say BART vs MARTA, I'm being loose. I also mean the associated transits in the region as well.

How do you think these two stack up? I've only lived in the Bay Area for a week, and I've taken the bus all the way from Contra Costa county, down to where I work in Santa Clara (Silicon Valley). So with my short time here, I've got the chance to become pretty aquainted with BART. I used MARTA for years as well.

MARTA (and all associated transit authorities):

Pros:

Really good public trains. Very clean, very fast. Trains have a LED message which tells you what stop you're at. Very user and beginner friendly.

There is less confusion with heavy rail, not a lot of transfer points beyond Lindberg (going NorthEast) and 5 Points.

Fairly cheap with multiregional passes, which are good for other transits like Cobb Community Transit, and Gwinett Transit.

Big and spacious buses for the most part

Really clean Marta stations. Very unique designs. My favorite are Dunwoody Station, Sandy Springs, Five Points, and Peachtree Center (my favorite).

Cons:

Busses are rarely on schedule

Trains are rarely on schedule

Escalators at stations are mainly broke, which can be a problem because many stations go many many feet underground and have really steep stair ways.

While there is often a prompt that tells you about estimate arrival, it often doesn't work in many stations

No way of tracking progress or location of busses (based on last time I was living in ATL, back in early 2012).

Drivers have no problems speeding past you, which is odd considering that buses are so rarely on time.

Buses do not go out to some of the more distant suburbs, or have very limited service to them. Discover Mills and the Western Suburbs have almost no Marta service.

Some of the associated transit authorities have really bad bus schedules.

Breeze "syncing issues" happen when you load it online. It won't register until you tap it at a station, which is kind of dumb.

No real plans on expanding lines, but metro Atlanta is expanding.

Dropped transit system to Clayton county, which comprised a lot of people who relied on Marta.

State owned transit system. Any type of expansion efforts are voted down, since the whole state has to vote for it. Since other cities in the State won't use Marta, they are the majority, and are generally against expanding the line.

BART:

Pros

Pretty advanced, buses are generally always on time, as well as the trains.

Many associated transits in different counties have ways of tracking buses and trains online, and have real time arrivals which are very accurate.

Trains are pretty fast

For the most part, the trains and buses are everywhere in the Bay except maybe North Bay (but this area is less populated in general)

A lot of light once you are in certain countries, making it even easier to get around.

Some transits have wifi onboard (like VTA's light rail).

Rail seems to be constantly expanding

Prompts tell you when next train will arrive, and will even inform you of delay

Cons:

Dirty and dusty looking trains (I was actually quite shocked).

No prompt to tell you what station you're at. If you're new like me) you have to constantly look at map and out of the window to see where you're located.

Ragedy PA system on trains, you can rarely hear the conductor.

Noisy trains, rattles and shake like no one's business

No real way to transfer between different county transits.

As far as I can tell there is no multi regional passes, making riding Bart expensive.

Bay Area transit can be expensive. While I did go a long long way, it cost me $12 each way, and again transfers are hard to come by on BART.

No display in front of train of the destination. While the prompt tells you, it's not very intuitive.

Definitely not user friendly. I was able to figure out BART, mainly due to 2 weeks of planning, and I have a lot of experiene using transit in various cities.

Weird people (which you'll find riding public transit) but police are almost nowhere to be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
BART wins hands down. It's not even a debate.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:59 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Definitely San Francisco. I think you'll realize it's not even close once you get comfortable with the system.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:36 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
If there was a poll, you wouldn't be saying that.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
LOL. SF to be such a world class city has one of the worst transportation systems of the top 20 cities in the world. Even cities like Philly and Boston are better.

And it's not even a debate? Maybe not the metro area coverage, but MARTA definiately has better trains and more extensive service within the city. BART has what? 7 stops in the city? MARTA has nearly 20 stops in the city alone. In the same central 49 square miles, Atlanta still has double the stops SF has.

We're not comparing NYC subway to MARTA LOL.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
LOL. SF to be such a world class city has one of the worst transportation systems of the top 20 cities in the world. Even cities like Philly and Boston are better.
lol. You act as if those cities don't have a great mass transit.

Quote:
And it's not even a debate? Maybe not the metro area coverage, but MARTA definiately has better trains and more extensive service within the city. BART has what? 7 stops in the city? MARTA has nearly 20 stops in the city alone. In the same central 49 square miles, Atlanta still has double the stops SF has.

We're not comparing NYC subway to MARTA LOL.
You can't use that as an excuse. There is no denying that BART has a more extensive rail system and has a much higher ridership than MARTA. Overall BART is just simply better imo.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
I don't consider Philly and Boston great mass transit rail systems, especially to the cities in Asia(Tokyo and Seoul for example), NYC, Chicago, Paris, London, etc.

SF is even worse.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:26 PM

489 posts, read 911,230 times
Quote:
One of the worst from the top 20 isn't really an insult. That's like saying someone is one of the dumbest geniuses.

Quote:

MARTA may be more extensive in city borders than BART, but then you also have MUNI and Caltrain and cable cars (depending where you catch them and at what time of day they can still be useful to more than your casual tourist). I would rather not own a car in SF than in Atl.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:42 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times
Quote:
If there was a poll, you wouldn't be saying that.
Regardless of is there is a poll or not. BART is better than MARTA...But that isnt saying much.
Not sure what your post meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City