Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I will give you that ... South Carolina builds BEAUTIFUL bridges! The approaches to them leave a lot to be desired LOL (last time I was in Mount Pleasant that part of Hwy 17 was a mess for example). Also, the tollway on Hilton Head is a work of art, though I don't know how much the state had to do with that? It might have been locally driven ... pun intended

Another thing I give SC props for is "Gateways" and welcome centers ... for example, coming into and leaving the state on I-95 -- How much did THAT cost? It's gorgeous! And the NB I-95 state welcome center is really nice. However, it's often confused with the ugly truck parking area that immediately proceeds it, and shares a on / exit ramp with the horrifically designed Exit 5 to Hardeeville / Hwy 17 South ... GO FIGURE! On the SB side of I-95, just before the aforementioned "Gateway" (Thanks for visiting South Carolina) is an abandoned truck weigh station that should have been decommissioned a LONG time ago ... yet it's just a crumbling piece of asphalt and a little brick building. Odd.

And maybe you can answer this Mutiny ... but why are we STILL waiting to get a FOUR LANE CONNECTION between Beaufort/Savannah and Charleston? The last 10-mile leg or so of Hwy 17 through Colleton County is finally being worked on I know but ... seriously ... some on ... really ... it's 2013 for pete's sake!
Yeah those abandoned weigh stations need to go. I know there are some along I-85 as well; not sure what the hold-up is there.

And who knows that the holdup is on Hwy 17 upgrades, which should have been completed long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Just recently visited Charlotte,Nc and just thought why many road projets are not finished.Is this normal compared to other states around it.
To be honest (and a lot of people from Charlotte may agree) that Raleigh-Durham area seem to get preference as far as road money. Raleigh has a much better road network. 485 is not complete and has been under construction for a decade and the southern section is only 4-lanes compared to 440 and 540 in Raleigh that are at least 6-lanes or more. They have also constructed freeway bypasses around Clayton and Knightdale recently, while a toll road bypass around Monroe is still in its planning stages.

It's not just NC, but for some reason in a lot of states the capital area seems to get more money when it comes to roads. VDOT in Virginia is the same way with Richmond that has a ton of new freeways and with no traffic while Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads suffer major congestion with no relief in sight. I don't know what the deal is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City