Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs Denver
Atlanta 67 42.68%
Denver 90 57.32%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times

Advertisements

Not only does it indeed get COLD in Atlanta during the winter, it is not nearly as hot and humid as people make it out to be. Does it get hot and humid? Yes. Is it hot and humid for days and weeks at a time with no break? No! This summer has been a perfect example. Sure, North Georgia weather is defined by "averages" but you can not predict it from year to year, season to season or week to week. Remember last week when Atlanta was cooler than Anchorage? And here it is the end of August and it already feels like fall ... even down on the coast! Cool, low humidity ... simply gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
^^^Who? People that would vote for Atlanta weather over Denver's.

Seriously, a lot of my friends in the South don't quite understand that 90 degrees with no humidity feels significantly different, or that 30 when dry and sunny with no wind can be completely tolerable......
I've never met anyone who didn't realize that there's a difference between dry and humid heat, but that doesn't mean that everyone should vote for Denver. Plenty of people prefer humidity. Just because you can't understand it doesn't make their feelings any less valid.

I, for one, can't stand dry heat. The Texas summer of 2011 saw extremely high temps and unusually dry air. It was the worst summer I can remember. Give me 90 and humid over 102 and dry any day.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Not only does it indeed get COLD in Atlanta during the winter, it is not nearly as hot and humid as people make it out to be. Does it get hot and humid? Yes. Is it hot and humid for days and weeks at a time with no break? No! This summer has been a perfect example. Sure, North Georgia weather is defined by "averages" but you can not predict it from year to year, season to season or week to week. Remember last week when Atlanta was cooler than Anchorage? And here it is the end of August and it already feels like fall ... even down on the coast! Cool, low humidity ... simply gorgeous!
In Savannah it's currently 76 degrees with 82% humidity.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I've never met anyone who didn't realize that there's a difference between dry and humid heat, but that doesn't mean that everyone should vote for Denver. Plenty of people prefer humidity. Just because you can't understand it doesn't make their feelings any less valid.

I, for one, can't stand dry heat. The Texas summer of 2011 saw extremely high temps and unusually dry air. It was the worst summer I can remember. Give me 90 and humid over 102 and dry any day.
Quite a few of my friends live in FL and have never experienced dry heat or cold. In fact, a lot of people from the east and south especially have never lived somewhere dry. I'm really not sure why that's a surprise to you, or why you'd doubt that. I'm glad that you know what the difference is, but most of them haven't spent a summer or a winter in the west at a high elevation. Have you? Again, I don't think anyone is fooling themselves, or a sucker for liking warm, humid environments. But there are a lot of people that live in a humid subtropical climate that have never lived in a high desert climate. And in the case of analyzing the weather in a location, I'd argue that actually living somewhere does give you a little more perspective than just seeing the weather during a weekend visit or seeing a forecast on the weather channel.

I get it, you like to argue or call people out for homerism or bashing other places. Which is a bit ironic because a) you do the same things you accuse people of and b) this is city vs. city, which is 100% subjective. Anyway, OP asked which climate we thought was the best. I did, and explained my rationale. I've spent several decades in the south, and the heat and humidity- as well as conservative mentalities, took their toll and personally I found that it was time to move on.

For the record, I love some of the weather in Atlanta- the fall is great, for example. But I like sitting on my deck and not sweating through my shirt or battling bugs, or having to take a shower after every time I do anything physical outside. And I so find the climate here in CO much more suitable to that than GA. Low humidity at similar temperatures just feels more comfortable than high humidity. Again, I know your preferences, but have you actually spent a considerable amount of time in both climates?

From April to October, the mountains down south are packed with people trying to escape the heat. I've never heard someone on a July summer evening in Georgia (or FL or TX, etc.) wish for warmer, more humid weather. But I get it that some people love the heat and/or humidity. To those that do, I say enjoy it. By the way, I see Houston is leading the poll for "City with the worst humidity" poll in the general U.S. forum, so you must be in heaven!

Last edited by bartonizer; 08-27-2013 at 12:36 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,222 times
Well I've only been to Denver for 2 weeks in the summer of 2011 and it was 90 and dry almost everyday. Dry heat feels better than humid heat IMHO but humid weather is better for my skin.

Now I heard that both regions can have some unpredictable weather.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Quite a few of my friends live in FL and have never experienced dry heat or cold. In fact, a lot of people from the east and south especially have never lived somewhere dry. I'm really not sure why that's a surprise to you, or why you'd doubt that. I'm glad that you know what the difference is, but most of them haven't spent a summer or a winter in the west at a high elevation. Have you? Again, I don't think anyone is fooling themselves, or a sucker for liking warm, humid environments. But there are a lot of people that live in a humid subtropical climate that have never lived in a high desert climate. And in the case of analyzing the weather in a location, I'd argue that actually living somewhere does give you a little more perspective than just seeing the weather during a weekend visit or seeing a forecast on the weather channel.

I get it, you like to argue or call people out for homerism or bashing other places. Which is a bit ironic because a) you do the same things you accuse people of and b) this is city vs. city, which is 100% subjective. Anyway, OP asked which climate we thought was the best. I did, and explained my rationale. I've spent several decades in the south, and the heat and humidity- as well as conservative mentalities, took their toll and personally I found that it was time to move on.

For the record, I love some of the weather in Atlanta- the fall is great, for example. But I like sitting on my deck and not sweating through my shirt or battling bugs, or having to take a shower after every time I do anything physical outside. And I so find the climate here in CO much more suitable to that than GA. Low humidity at similar temperatures just feels more comfortable than high humidity. Again, I know your preferences, but have you actually spent a considerable amount of time in both climates?

From April to October, the mountains down south are packed with people trying to escape the heat. I've never heard someone on a July summer evening in Georgia (or FL or TX, etc.) wish for warmer, more humid weather. But I get it that some people love the heat and/or humidity. To those that do, I say enjoy it. By the way, I see Houston is leading the poll for "City with the worst humidity" poll in the general U.S. forum, so you must be in heaven!
Hmm, I feel like we took a left turn somewhere. You seem to be taking this the wrong way, but all I was saying is that I don't know anyone who doesn't recognize the difference between dry and humid. You were the one who made the comment about "anyone who would vote Atlanta over Denver". Perhaps you shouldn't have said it if you were going to take offense to me "calling you out" on it.

I live in Texas, and we get plenty of dry air from time to time. Hell, we're in a drought right now. I've also lived in Atlanta, and it is not humid there 365 days a year. Both locations sometimes have air so dry that fire weather warnings are put in place.

No, I've never lived in the mountains or the High Plains, but that doesn't change anything I'm saying.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
Best? Well It depends on what you prefer.

Atlanta has a hot and humid climate.

Denver is a dry and milder climate.

Both cities are sunny, but Denver has 4 seasons and Atlanta has 2.

If you like no humidity and sunny weather with 80 degree summers, and brief snow and lower temps in the winter then choose Denver.

If you prefer a more humid climate with very little winter weather and hotter temperatures in summer with humidity and sunshine then choose Atlanta.
Though I voted for Denver, 80 degree summers? The average high in July is 88; August, 86. Denver gets 33 90+ degree days in an average summer, and I've seen 60 day summers.
Average Weather for Denver, CO - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Though I voted for Denver, 80 degree summers? The average high in July is 88; August, 86. Denver gets 33 90+ degree days in an average summer, and I've seen 60 day summers.
Yeah, I wish Denver's summers were only 80 degrees on average.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
FYI ... Atlanta wouldn't be the lush "city in a forest" that everybody is so gah-gah about if not for the amount of rain, warmth and humidity that comes with it ... just saying.

I think the real discussion about "weather" and "dry heat vs. humid heat" needs to be about, what kind of environment do you like? High desert plains with low vegetation, or lush rolling hills and thick tree cover that stays green nearly year round?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is Atlanta yearly averages. (Atlanta stays warmer longer than Denver on average.) I also don't like the fact that Denver has low temparatures in the 50s during summer months.

Average Weather for Atlanta, GA - Temperature and Precipitation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City