Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:24 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Why? because Manhattan doesn't have any. (j/k)
No, beaches in NYC beaches would also be utterly destroyed by throwing a dart anywhere in SoCal as well. The lake is very cool and useful but as far as beach quality goes it just can't compete with other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 09:27 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,152,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
His point is the beaches aren't that great. I'm sure that will be argued ad nauseum though as people get butt hurt. I view it more as a recreational area and find it somewhat silly when people say "going to the beach" I just call it "the lake" and especially when they say stuff like, why would I want to go to Florida or California, I've got a beach right here! As somebody who has lived in both the latter, I find these comments irksome as if these people have never seen a decent beach. I had somebody recently say they went to Cocoa in Florida, really enjoyed it, etc etc, and I was like well...Cocoa kind of sucks (for Florida beaches) I personally wouldn't even bother going there, I would have gone X, X and X, now see why I don't think beaches here are that great? The ability to critique cities by many Chicagoans seems to not work well when judging the quality of beach/ and 4 month "beach scene"...it's boosted well beyond how it actually is compared to other areas of the U.S. . Sorry Chicago, you kill most cities but, your beaches are pretty "meh" even if they are close to downtown.
I think the general point is that downtown Chicago has better access to beaches than downtown LA, and not that Lake Michigan trumps the Pacific in terms of feel. The lake is pretty, but it's not an ocean. I also wouldn't even say the most enjoyable beaches in the city are next to downtown either. Too many people.

Also, anyone who says they wouldn't go to the South because they have beaches in Chicago needs to stop. The Gulf and the Atlantic in the South trump absolutely everything in the US, and there is no comparison. The Pacific is gorgeous (and far more scenic than Lake Michigan), but it's cold. If I'm going someplace solely for a beach, then the water better be warm. I'd enjoy the beaches in SoCal assuming I also went for another purpose besides the beach itself, such as having fun in LA/the metro.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I think the general point is that downtown Chicago has better access to beaches than downtown LA, and not that Lake Michigan trumps the Pacific in terms of feel. The lake is pretty, but it's not an ocean. I also wouldn't even say the most enjoyable beaches in the city are next to downtown either. Too many people.

Also, anyone who says they wouldn't go to the South because they have beaches in Chicago needs to stop. The Gulf and the Atlantic in the South trump absolutely everything in the US, and there is no comparison. The Pacific is gorgeous (and far more scenic than Lake Michigan), but it's cold. If I'm going someplace solely for a beach, then the water better be warm. I'd enjoy the beaches in SoCal assuming I also went for another purpose besides the beach itself, such as having fun in LA/the metro.
that is true, but, a lot of people live on the west side of LA and I'm sure way more people use the beaches in LA throughout the year. I'm not familiar enough with LA transit to the beach. chicago is very easy, I usually just walk though.

Although, if you do try to drive to the beaches in Chicago, the vehicle parking lots will be slammed, so lots of people are indeed driving.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times
When I hear about southern California beaches being too cold, I do find them cooler but I definately get in the water along with thousands of other beach goers. Its really not an issue for me.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 PM

The water is definitely cold to me, colder than Lake Michigan and definitely florida in the summer. However, if I lived in LA, I would probably say screw it and just jump in, it wouldn't stop me and I'm sure it doesn't stop people there. Don't people go to Mission Beach for spring break in SD and get in the water?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:44 PM

317 posts, read 375,087 times
California waters really are cold which is a massive negative, so no arguments there. But as far as beaches goes it still beats Chicago at least. I mean as far as actual beaches are concerned Chicago ones are kind of a joke. I don't care if there are beaches in the downtown or not. I mean who the hell goes downtown for beaches anyways? Seems like a pretty Chicago thing.

Quote:
Don't people go to Mission Beach for spring break in SD and get in the water?
People would rather get into the water than not. There are just a lot of tourists in general in San Diego that's why. It's still cold enough to be uncomfortable most of the times even in San Diego.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:45 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,152,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
that is true, but, a lot of people live on the west side of LA and I'm sure way more people use the beaches in LA throughout the year. I'm not familiar enough with LA transit to the beach. chicago is very easy, I usually just walk though.

Although, if you do try to drive to the beaches in Chicago, the vehicle parking lots will be slammed, so lots of people are indeed driving.
No argument there. I have pic of me standing on top of a frozen wave after Snowpocalypse a couple of years ago

The second half is also true, which is why I think the beaches further north are better. In Edgewater and Rogers Park the crush of people isn't as bad, and the access is usually easier, especially in Rogers Park. The beaches further south in Lincoln Park (the park, not the neighborhood), you're fighting people for parking who came to see other attractions as well. Up in Edgewater, even though it's still Lincoln Park, it's really not an issue.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:38 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times
I have to ask. Whenever I see amateur photographs of LA I never see a crisp blue sky. It's always like a haze over the city. It looks dirty.
Have you guys ever noticed that?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 PM

2,434 posts, read 3,307,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
California waters really are cold which is a massive negative, so no arguments there. But as far as beaches goes it still beats Chicago at least. I mean as far as actual beaches are concerned Chicago ones are kind of a joke. I don't care if there are beaches in the downtown or not. I mean who the hell goes downtown for beaches anyways? Seems like a pretty Chicago thing.

You do realize the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is within metro Chicago and is accessible by several trains stops on the South Shore Line out of Millenium Park. It would take the better part of a day to walk the longest stretch of Dunes during which time you might not see another person for miles....no road access, and nothing but massive beautiful Dunes and the Chicago skyline over the water some 40 miles away.

http://ayay.co.uk/backgrounds/nature...-Lakeshore.jpg

http://cdn.nationalparks.org/sites/d...?itok=tQmY78kk

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/DM-Re...0&keep_ratio=1

I've personally taken several native Californians on hiking excursions in the Dunes and every last one of them was totally shocked by the length of the beach, height of the Dunes, and the general gorgeousness of the crytal blue waters and national park. Yrust me, spend a summer day hiking from Beverly Shores to Porter Beach and you'll never doubt the quality of Chicagoland's beaches. There is more to it than Oak Street Beach.

Last edited by midwest1; 11-04-2013 at 11:58 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I have to ask. Whenever I see amateur photographs of LA I never see a crisp blue sky. It's always like a haze over the city. It looks dirty.
Have you guys ever noticed that?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Probably due to the prevelance of instagram. CA cities are often crisp and cloud free, not as much as in the desert but, more than any city east of the rockies. The amount of beautiful "perfect" days in Coastal CA is astounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City