Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
I'm just amazed at the losers who take time to make bogus accounts to try and boost a poll, that's as low as it gets.
Who cares. There's a reasonable debate going on here. People are entitled to a different opinion and doesn't make them 'losers'.

I spend a few seconds on this page then move on with my life, like my job.

You should do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Who cares. There's a reasonable debate going on here. People are entitled to a different opinion and doesn't make them 'losers'.

I spend a few seconds on this page then move on with my life, like my job.

You should do the same.
Making fake accounts to boost a poll is not a "reasonal debate"

Old 11-16-2013, 08:06 AM

391 posts, read 753,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
And just where do you come by the information on what Mafia members make and that they are a joke?
Haven't you watched "The Sopranos"?

Old 04-04-2014, 04:52 PM

147 posts, read 147,651 times
Default Your point is invalid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Besides having a much larger skyline, how does Chicago look any different than Milwaukee/Cleveland/Pittsburgh? It doesn't.

The skyline is nice from afar, especially driving in at night from 94.

And aside from having Brittany Spears how does LA differ from Phoenix. It doesn't.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Besides having a much larger skyline, how does Chicago look any different than Milwaukee/Cleveland/Pittsburgh? It doesn't.

The skyline is nice from afar, especially driving in at night from 94.
Did you seriously just say that? So I guess besides New York City having a much larger skyline, how does it look different from Cleveland? because they are so similar...

Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
Chicago is a superior city by almost every criteria, but LA is more recognizable and "iconic" for better or for worse. In terms of being more cultural though Chicago beats LA easily in that category.
LA is better than CHI in terms of weather, food, and outdoor activites. Chicago is better for public transit and bars

I thought the poll would have been a lot closer but I guess it's true -- LA wins!

Old 04-04-2014, 06:48 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
LA is better than CHI in terms of weather, food, and outdoor activites. Chicago is better for public transit and bars

I thought the poll would have been a lot closer but I guess it's true -- LA wins!
Ehh, the points you have to LA are very much debatable. Food? That's pretty subjective, and Chicago has over 4,000 restaurants in the downtown area, very diverse choices as well. Chicago is famous for its revered deep dish pizza, what does LA offer that is so special that you can't find in most large cities?

Weather, I'll give you that. Chicago winters can be brutal.

Outdoor activities? Chicago has the lake and a beach, not nearly as nice as the beaches or Ocean at L.A., but Chicago isn't a landlocked city. Chicago has millennium park, perfect for outdoor ice skating, something you can only dream about in L.A. Chicago has a pretty extensive jogging trail along the lakefront. I'd call this one close, just because it's cold out does not mean you can't have outdoor activities.

Not sure what the bar culture in either city is like. I would imagine that Chicago having the larger downtown might offer more choices, but I don't know.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:18 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:
Ehh, the points you have to LA are very much debatable. Food? That's pretty subjective, and Chicago has over 4,000 restaurants in the downtown area, very diverse choices as well. Chicago is famous for its revered deep dish pizza, what does LA offer that is so special that you can't find in most large cities?

Weather, I'll give you that. Chicago winters can be brutal.

Outdoor activities? Chicago has the lake and a beach, not nearly as nice as the beaches or Ocean at L.A., but Chicago isn't a landlocked city. Chicago has millennium park, perfect for outdoor ice skating, something you can only dream about in L.A. Chicago has a pretty extensive jogging trail along the lakefront. I'd call this one close, just because it's cold out does not mean you can't have outdoor activities.

Not sure what the bar culture in either city is like. I would imagine that Chicago having the larger downtown might offer more choices, but I don't know.
LA is well known for its hamburgers of various levels, food truck scene, mexican food, korean food and various other ethnic foods.

We can most certainly do out-door ice skating. I've done it several times here in different locations. But this, doesn't really appeal to me. Can't stand snow for long periods of times and don't care for ice skating. Not my cup of tea.

LA has the oceans AND mountains. There's nothing in Chicago that can come close to our beaches and mountains. You can have your cute little jogging trails. I'll take hikes through the mountains over that any day of the week. Plus, we various areas where on can hike through the city as well.

For what I like, LA is just superior in every way. Not even close.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 AM

147 posts, read 147,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm not seeing how any of those cities are trying to be just like New York's shadow.

I have seen a lot of people say here that Philly is the most comparable to NYC and not Chicago. Probably because of the density and overall city feel but I don't believe Philadelphia is more comparable to NYC. That being said it seems like a wonderful city and I very much would like to visit it. Maybe Boston with the university scene. Never been to B-more but I always pictured it as a dense city.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:

You wish you had 10,000 foot peaks surrounding your city.

we can only dream about skating on ice here in LA, thanks to our great weather.

If we want to ice skat we have plenty of enclosed rinks and even better the mountains during rainy season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City