Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:04 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
There are more Poles in NYC than in Chicago. This is true both comparing cities and metros.

What this has to do with the thread topic is beyond me, though.
The fact about Warsaw, Polish people, and Chicago was true in the 1930s. It's not true anymore even though there's many Polish people in Chicago still. That type of thing was also true of Czech people and Chicago back around that time - Chicago had more Czech people outside of Prague than any other world city at one point. According to a doorman of mine, who's originally from Poland, there's a number of younger Polish people in their 20s who are actually moving to Poland and reconnecting with extended family. So the US may continue to see a decline in Polish population for awhile apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 01:10 PM

409 posts, read 587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The fact about Warsaw, Polish people, and Chicago was true in the 1930s. It's not true anymore even though there's many Polish people in Chicago still. That type of thing was also true of Czech people and Chicago back around that time - Chicago had more Czech people outside of Prague than any other world city at one point. According to a doorman of mine, who's originally from Poland, there's a number of younger Polish people in their 20s who are actually moving to Poland and reconnecting with extended family. So the US may continue to see a decline in Polish population for awhile apparently.
Yeah, though Chicago still has a huge Polish population especially out Milwaukee Ave. and in the burbs. Among the biggest U.S. cities Chicago still definitely has the most obvious Polish "feel".

NYC has more in raw numbers, though, and has huge populations in parts of Brooklyn, Queens and Jersey (Greenpoint is traditional Polish center though nowadays more Ridgewood-Middle Village). I suspect that NYC gets more recent Polish immigrants too (not sure, but you seem to hear a ton of Polish in North Brooklyn and parts of Queens, especially with young people).

Old 04-11-2014, 01:42 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times
Quote:
According to a doorman of mine, who's originally from Poland, there's a number of younger Polish people in their 20s who are actually moving to Poland and reconnecting with extended family. So the US may continue to see a decline in Polish population for awhile apparently.
It's not just Poles in their 20s. A friend of mines parents immigrated from Poland before he was born, and he's already had a grandparent move back for good and his father is going for half a year or so to open a business. He's told that since Poland has turned around so much since when his parents immigrated that his family sort of wishes they hadn't come over in the first place.

He wants to stay in Chicago though, so that might be bit awkward for him in the future.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:31 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
There are more Poles in NYC than in Chicago. This is true both comparing cities and metros.

For what it's worth, this is a rather recent phenomenon, but you are correct. Historically though, Chicago has held that title.
Quote:
This happened in 2012.

New York Dethrones Chicago as the ‘Largest Polish City’ Outside of Warsaw | Voices of NY

Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 PM

147 posts, read 147,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So you believe if it was a thread based solely on the culture and soul of the city, leaving icons and name recognition out, that Chicago would win? Not disagreeing with you, but curious why you think Chicago is more cultured than LA? Also, I voted for Chicago.

I personally think Chicago has more culture because I have yet to see anyone here say how celebrities translate to any amenities readily available to you. Whereas in Chicago you can get ethnic foods and other amenities readily available to you any day of the week.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Ah crap I forgot please just ignore the crap out of that comment.

But for the second part of the comment the title also says which one is more cultural

Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prarie State View Post
I personally think Chicago has more culture because I have yet to see anyone here say how celebrities translate to any amenities readily available to you. Whereas in Chicago you can get ethnic foods and other amenities readily available to you any day of the week.
Put the strawman down already. Sheesh.

No one here is saying that celebrities translates into culture. Did you miss where I posted a sample itinerary based around some of the cultural amenities here? Because you commented right after it. Here, in case your back button is broken:
  1. Visit Griffith Observatory at sunset. Enjoy the view over the basin, then pop inside the observatory to watch a demo of a Tesla coil and catch a planetarium show.
  2. Hike the Runyon Canyon loop with the locals.
  3. Do a walking tour of Downtown LA- Maybe the historic theaters on Broadway. Stop by Grand Central Market for lunch.
  4. Do a scenic drive down Mulholland Drive. Stop at the pulloffs to take in the views of both the LA Basin and the San Fernando Valley.
  5. Check out the collections at LACMA- the biggest art museum on the west coast.
  6. Take the tram up to the Getty Center and enjoy the art, the views, and the architecture.
  7. Take a drive up the PCH into Malibu to enjoy the cliffside beaches. Stop by the Getty Villa on the way and pretend you're in Italy.
  8. Visit the Arts District and check out all the murals and street art. Walk over the LA River and reenact your favorite scene from Terminator 2 or Grease.
  9. Skip Chinatown and head to LA's real Chinatown: the San Gabriel Valley. Dim Sum!
  10. Head to Echo Park or Boyle Heights and enjoy the best authentic tacos you will have in your life.
  11. Visit the nation's biggest Koreatown for some Korean BBQ, then do karaoke until the wee hours of the night.
  12. Visit Venice Beach. Walk the Boardwalk at least once, then take a walk through the Venice canals and drool over the homes.
  13. Visit Little Tokyo or Little Osaka for some amazing sushi or raman.
  14. Catch an outdoor movie screening in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery (yes, this exists. Google 'cinespia')
  15. Marine Day Trip: Take the ferry from Long Beach over to Catalina Island
  16. Marine Day Trip 2: Head south to Newport Beach and do a whalewatching tour
  17. Desert Day Trip: Drive out to Palm Springs and Joshua Tree National Park
  18. Coastal Day Trip: Take the Amtrak up to Santa Barbara
  19. Alpine Day Trip: Drive up to Sequoia National Park and see some really, really big trees

If you want to argue that Chicago beats LA culturally, start by telling us how Chicago can top the items on that list. That would at least be constructive, rather than this harping on this false and ignorant assumption that people here somehow worship celebrities and count them as "culture" just because we're the city that creates the content. You know the midwest is the target audience for mainstream TV and film right? Los Angeles is a city of artists: filmmakers, cinematographers, set designers, 3d artists, fashion designers, musicians, programmers, etc. Do you really think the people that are busy using their own creativity and their own blood, sweat, and tears to create the content you're consuming don't have anything better to do than to worship celebrities? Do you like thinking about work right after you've gotten home from wokr? These people work with celebrities every day and are the last people to be starstruck.

Lastly, you don't want to go toe to toe with LA on ethnic food. LA is the gateway to Asia and Latin America, and is a majority-minority city. Cheap, amazing ethnic food from around the globe abounds, and its not toned down for white american tastes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...n-america.html

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 04-11-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 08:02 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

No one here is saying that celebrities translates into culture. Did you miss where I posted a sample itinerary based around some of the cultural amenities here? Because you commented right after it. Here, in case your back button is broken:
  1. Visit Griffith Observatory at sunset. Enjoy the view over the basin, then pop inside the observatory to watch a demo of a Tesla coil and catch a planetarium show.
  3. Do a walking tour of Downtown LA- Maybe the historic theaters on Broadway. Stop by Grand Central Market for lunch.
  4. Do a scenic drive down Mulholland Drive. Stop at the pulloffs to take in the views of both the LA Basin and the San Fernando Valley.
  5. Check out the collections at LACMA- the biggest art museum on the west coast.
  6. Take the tram up to the Getty Center and enjoy the art, the views, and the architecture.
  7. Take a drive up the PCH into Malibu to enjoy the cliffside beaches. Stop by the Getty Villa on the way and pretend you're in Italy.
  8. Visit the Arts District and check out all the murals and street art. Walk over the LA River and reenact your favorite scene from Terminator 2 or Grease.
  9. Skip Chinatown and head to LA's real Chinatown: the San Gabriel Valley. Dim Sum!
  10. Head to Echo Park or Boyle Heights and enjoy the best authentic tacos you will have in your life.
  11. Visit the nation's biggest Koreatown for some Korean BBQ, then do karaoke until the wee hours of the night.
  12. Visit Venice Beach. Walk the Boardwalk at least once, then take a walk through the Venice canals and drool over the homes.
  14. Catch an outdoor movie screening in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery (yes, this exists. Google 'cinespia')
  19. Alpine Day Trip: Drive up to Sequoia National Park and see some really, really big trees

If you want to argue that Chicago beats LA culturally, start by telling us how Chicago can top the items on that list. That would at least be constructive, rather than this harping on this false and ignorant assumption that people here somehow worship celebrities and count them as "culture" just because we're the city that creates the content. You know the midwest is the target audience for mainstream TV and film right? Los Angeles is a city of artists: filmmakers, cinematographers, set designers, 3d artists, fashion designers, musicians, programmers, etc. Do you really think the people that are busy using their own creativity and their own blood, sweat, and tears to create the content you're consuming don't have anything better to do than to worship celebrities? Do you like thinking about work right after you've gotten home from wokr? These people work with celebrities every day and are the last people to be starstruck.

Lastly, you don't want to brag about ethnic food when you're going toe to toe with LA. We own that game.

Why Los Angeles Is the Best Food Town in America - The Daily Beast
Not to say that these all top the list, but they easily go toe-to-toe. For the nature aspect, it's really hard to top anything in California, but then those aren't really culture, either...

Some things for Chicago:

-Visit Adler planetarium, the oldest planetarium in North America, and enjoy views of Lake Michigan as far as the eye can see and one of the best skylines in the world
-Visit downtown Chicago, River North, the Theatre District, the Gold Coast
-Cruise down Lakeshore Dr. with the top down on one of the best urban drives in the U.S.
-Check out the collections at the Art Institute of Chicago and check out one of the largest collections of Western art in the entire country
-Climb to the top of one of the tallest occupiable buildings in North America and see the great expanse as far as the eye can see
-Explore Chicago's Little Italy
-Take a stroll along the Chicago river and look at one of the most expansive urban canyons in the U.S.; take in one of the iconic Chicago architecture tours
-Bike, run, stroll along the paths that cover 20+ mi along Lake Michigan and enjoy the public art pieces that are strewn throughout and the free public zoo
-Visit the Field Museum and take in one of the largest natural history museums in the world
-Take in some of the world-class culinary options Chicago has to offer, including Alinea, which has been rated as the world's best restaurant for several years
-Catch a performance of one of the top orchestras in the world, the CSO
-Enjoy a stroll through the beautiful architecture of the Hyde Park campus of one of the greatest universities in the world, the University of Chicago
-Catch a baseball game at the second-oldest ballpark in the nation: Wrigley Field

Don't get me wrong, if all thinks are considered, I think LA beats Chicago in terms of being more iconic, but I think they are pretty close when it comes to which one is more cultural.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

Lastly, you don't want to go toe to toe with LA on ethnic food. LA is the gateway to Asia and Latin America, and is a majority-minority city. Cheap, amazing ethnic food from around the globe abounds, and its not toned down for white american tastes.

Why Los Angeles Is the Best Food Town in America - The Daily Beast

1. It is my opinion and I have seen way too many people here claim that celebrities are culture and your idea of culture is different than mine and most of what you posted I would not consider culture as my idea of culture is ethnic diversity which Chicago and LA both have plenty of its just in my opinion Chicago leads in many more ethnicities than just Mexicans and Asians

Burgled from Wikipedia:

Poles in Chicago constituted the largest ethnically Polish population outside of Warsaw before 1918 when Poland reemerged as an independent state, making it one of the most important Polonia centers today,[SIZE=2][8][/SIZE] a fact that the city celebrates every Labor Day weekend at the Taste of Polonia Festival in Jefferson Park.[SIZE=2][9][/SIZE] The Southwest Side is home to the largest concentration of Górals (Carpathian highlanders) outside of Europe; it is the location of the Polish Highlanders Alliance of North America. The city also has a large Assyrian population, numbering as many as 80,000[SIZE=2][10][/SIZE] and is the location of the seat of the head of the Assyrian Church of the East, Mar Dinkha IV. Chicago also hosts the headquarters of the largest Lutheran body in the United States, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.[SIZE=2][11][/SIZE][SIZE=2][citation needed][/SIZE] The city is the home to a large Romanian American community with more than 100,000.[SIZE=2][12][/SIZE]
The Chicago Metropolitan area is also becoming a major center for Indian Americans and South Asian Americans. Chicago has the third largest South Asian American population in the country, after New York City and San Francisco. The Devon Avenue corridor on Chicago's north side is an example of this, as it is one of the largest South Asian neighborhoods in North America. There are also around 185,000 Arabs in Chicago with the majority located in the suburban parts of Cook County around Chicago. There are about 75,000 more Arabs who live in the five counties around Cook County including Lake, Kendall, Will, and DuPage. [3] [4]
Polish people in Chicago have been very prevalent from the city's early history and were influential in the economic and social development of Chicago. Today Poles in Chicago make up the largest ethnically Polish population of any city outside of Poland [SIZE=2][13][/SIZE] making it one of the most important centers of Polonia, a fact that the city celebrates every Labor Day weekend at the Taste of Polonia Festival in Jefferson Park.[SIZE=2][9][/SIZE] The Southwest Side is home to the largest concentration of Gorals (Carpathian highlanders) outside of Europe. The southwest side is also the location of the Polish Highlanders Alliance of North America. Many Polish churches are found in Chicago, built in the Polish Cathedral style of architecture, and can be seen from the Kennedy Expressway, other roadways, public transportation routes, as well as in the neighborhood street.

Chicago has one of the largest concentrations of Italian Americans in the US, with more than 500,000 living in the metropolitan area.[SIZE=2][14][/SIZE] Chicago has the third largest Italian American population in the United States, behind only New York and Philadelphia. Chicago's Italian community has historically been based along the Taylor Street and Grand Avenue corridors on the West Side of the city. There are also significant Italian populations scattered throughout the city and surrounding suburbs.
Other prevalent European ethnic groups include the Czechoslovakians, and Ukrainians. At the turn of the 20th century, Chicago was the third-largest Czech city in the world, after Prague and Vienna.[SIZE=2][15][/SIZE] There are approximately 14,000 Ukrainians living within the Chicago city limits.[SIZE=2][16][/SIZE] There is a large African American population located mostly on Chicago’s South and West Sides. The Chicago metropolitan area has the third largest African American population, behind only New York City and Atlanta. Chicago has a small community of Swedish Americans. Swedish Americans make up 0.9% of Chicago's population, and they number at 23,990.[SIZE=2][17][/SIZE] After the Great Chicago Fire, many Swedish carpenters helped to rebuild the city, which led to the saying "the Swedes built Chicago."[SIZE=2][18][/SIZE] Swedish influence is evident in Andersonville on the far north side.
The city has a large population of Bulgarians, Lithuanians,[SIZE=2][19][/SIZE] Croats, Greeks and Serbians.[SIZE=2][20][/SIZE] Chicago has a sizeable Romanian American community,[SIZE=2][21][/SIZE] as well as a large Assyrian population. The city is the seat of the head of the Assyrian Church of the East, Mar Dinkha IV, the Evangelical Covenant Church,[SIZE=2][22][/SIZE] and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America headquarters.[SIZE=2][11][/SIZE]
Chicago has the third-largest South Asian population in the United States, especially many Indians and Pakistanis. The Devon Avenue corridor on the far north side is one of the largest South Asian neighborhoods/markets in North America. As of the 2010 Census, Chicago has the third-largest Puerto Rican population in the continental United States,[SIZE=2][23][/SIZE] after New York City and Philadelphia, and the fourth largest Mexican population in the United States after Los Angeles, San Antonio, and Houston.[SIZE=2][24][/SIZE] There are about 185,000 Arabs in Cook County with another 75,000 in the five surrounding counties. Chicago is the center of the Palestinian and Jordanian immigrant communities in the United States

What you posted is not what I consider culture and as you can see Chicago holds up very well in my view of the cultural standpoint. I don't know where you are coming from with the strawman argument but most of what you posted are activities not ethnic diversity. They are definitely impressive but I really would like to meet new people from all over the world and be out and about learning about new cultures while I would like going for a hike I would love to learn about peoples culture and history a little more. PS Chicago more than holds its own against LA for ethnic food:

Ethnic Dining in Chicago | Frommer's

Old 04-12-2014, 02:24 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Los Angeles is without question more ethnically diverse and cosmopolitan, I don't see a debate here. The amount of Asian-born residents alone tops the entire foreign-born population of Chicago. Chicago only has the edge in European born residents, by about 100k. Not very significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City