Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 02:57 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There are some and far less than there were years ago but no. LA doesn't have a wider variety of architectural styles. I am quite familiar with LA by the way - my dad and that entire side is from there and I've been there more times than I care to count. Not to mention that my cousin was on LA city council for 2 decades.

Just because it has less architectural styles doesn't mean it sucks or anything. It's still a good architectural city but comparing it to Chicago - it comes up a little short, but it will beat most other US cities for sure in my opinion.
How does it come up short, besides high rises and some row homes? What styles does Chicago have that you can't find in Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
How does it come up short, besides high rises and some row homes? What styles does Chicago have that you can't find in Los Angeles?
High rises aren't a style - they're a form of a building. Show me something like this that exists in LA:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...er_Chicago.jpg

You're taking this way too much like I'm trying to bring down LA. Even some of the other VERY pro LA posters agree that Chicago overtakes it.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
I don't see how LA beats this anywhere architecturally.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM

^ Looks like Armitage Avenue...right?

Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM

147 posts, read 147,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't see how LA beats this anywhere architecturally.

That kinda reminds me of a bigger Downtown Plainfield.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
High rises aren't a style - they're a form of a building. Show me something like this that exists in LA:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...er_Chicago.jpg

You're taking this way too much like I'm trying to bring down LA. Even some of the other VERY pro LA posters agree that Chicago overtakes it.
I don't think Chicago has more styles than LA. You mentioned that Chicago has more styles. I questioned this and then you mention then the variety high rises, which LA has, but in fewer number obviously. Doesn't necessarily mean that there are more arch styles. Now you've brought up the aqua building twice, which is a modern high rise. LA is not lacking in modern arch, there is even the modern high school #9 which has modern arch. Not sure which styles LA is lacking. I'm not saying that Chicago isn't architectural either, just that LA doesn't pale in comparison.

If we are talking urban landscape, the discussion may be a little different.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:38 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,834 times
all right,

I'm not directing this to any particular person, just the ones that have completely missed my point (and the question from the OP) which has absolutely nothing to do with me, my knowledge of architecture (though, yeah, even if I was ignoring the OP's question, which I am not....Chicago is world renown, LA is not, and that is for a reason, reasons which I am familiar with...)

Anyway. the question was regarding perception internationally. This should not require me to provide a laundry list of little known (some mildy known...) landmarks in LA. Whether I like them or not, doesn't matter. Whether they are important or not, doesn't matter. People do not travel to LA for architecture, now get over yourselves.

I am quoting the ARTICLE about the Los Angeles Architecture History Exhbition (this opened a year ago, not 20, 30 or even 5)

The exhibition seems to have been inspired by the FACT that Los Angles IS routinely over looked for contributions to architecute, and known of more for its freeways.

Quoting: People don't think about Los Angeles in architectural and design terms," exhibition curator Wim de Wit told Reuters. "People think about Los Angeles as an accident that sort of happened."

Quoting: "Los Angeles is often seen as a sprawling, smoggy concrete metropolis or a kitschy Hollywood movie set but that image is getting a shiny new makeover in an exhibition that highlights the city's often overlooked contributions to modern architecture."

Quoting: "There are so many myths and clichés that are just misunderstandings," de Wit said. "We're trying to straighten out and create different views of Los Angeles as a city ... One point we're trying to make is that it's a planned city with thought behind it."

Ahem....Chicago doesn't have to make this point...

The oft mentioned Freeways of LA: "Indeed, the area's vast freeway system was able to connect far-flung suburbs to the city's center while Los Angeles International Airport was the first of its kind to create modern terminals amenable to automobile traffic."

that's a nice spin on "modern" but that was the 1950's -- usually spoken of in more of a negative way but I like that they are trying to make it positive...

"The big difference between the prewar and postwar Los Angeles architecture was chiefly a matter of scale, and one of the major manifestations of this was the freeway system," said Thomas Hines, an architectural historian at the University of California, Los Angeles.

"The consensus would be that Los Angeles and Southern California have been one of the half dozen or so most important places in the world in the development of modern architecture," he said, noting the roots of its heritage in the prewar designs of architects Richard Neutra and Rudolph Schindler

could be, but if those in LA are still trying so hard to make this point its really not the consensus in terms of being known as "iconic" or "cuturual" in terms to the average foreigner noticing....the image of freeways and lacking an urban core persist, with a less than notable skyline.

The first time I saw LA's skyline I thought 'that's it'?

anyway, again not about me.

Those responsible for this exhibition acknowledged LA's reputation -- I don't know why these posters can't.

What I think really doesn't matter. As I mentioned (of course, I'm just a stupid person by all accounts) the question was about perception.

Trying to get me to acknowledge the architecture in LA has absoltuley nothing to do with the perception.

I like SoCal that is why I live here.

I also like modern art and architecture. If I couldn't stand to live in an area lacking in "sophistication" I wouldn't have moved here.

I probably won't visit this area of the forums much though....talk about ridiculous!

I posted this article that I am quoting from, a few pages ago. If the curators and those involved with this exhibition can acknowledge LA's reputation (the good, the bad and the mundane) why can't you? They are doing something to change that, great.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93E10G20130415

first you have to acknowledge it exists...and why. Because there is truth to it.

In 100 years LA might be a great example of city planning and the architecture that influences the rest of the country or world and sets the bar for others to follow. So far, its not that.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:14 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
all right,

I'm not directing this to any particular person, just the ones that have completely missed my point (and the question from the OP) which has absolutely nothing to do with me, my knowledge of architecture (though, yeah, even if I was ignoring the OP's question, which I am not....Chicago is world renown, LA is not, and that is for a reason, reasons which I am familiar with...)

Anyway. the question was regarding perception internationally. This should not require me to provide a laundry list of little known (some mildy known...) landmarks in LA. Whether I like them or not, doesn't matter. Whether they are important or not, doesn't matter. People do not travel to LA for architecture, now get over yourselves.

I am quoting the ARTICLE about the Los Angeles Architecture History Exhbition (this opened a year ago, not 20, 30 or even 5)

The exhibition seems to have been inspired by the FACT that Los Angles IS routinely over looked for contributions to architecute, and known of more for its freeways.

Quoting: People don't think about Los Angeles in architectural and design terms," exhibition curator Wim de Wit told Reuters. "People think about Los Angeles as an accident that sort of happened."

Quoting: "Los Angeles is often seen as a sprawling, smoggy concrete metropolis or a kitschy Hollywood movie set but that image is getting a shiny new makeover in an exhibition that highlights the city's often overlooked contributions to modern architecture."

Quoting: "There are so many myths and clichés that are just misunderstandings," de Wit said. "We're trying to straighten out and create different views of Los Angeles as a city ... One point we're trying to make is that it's a planned city with thought behind it."

Ahem....Chicago doesn't have to make this point...

The oft mentioned Freeways of LA: "Indeed, the area's vast freeway system was able to connect far-flung suburbs to the city's center while Los Angeles International Airport was the first of its kind to create modern terminals amenable to automobile traffic."

that's a nice spin on "modern" but that was the 1950's -- usually spoken of in more of a negative way but I like that they are trying to make it positive...

"The big difference between the prewar and postwar Los Angeles architecture was chiefly a matter of scale, and one of the major manifestations of this was the freeway system," said Thomas Hines, an architectural historian at the University of California, Los Angeles.

"The consensus would be that Los Angeles and Southern California have been one of the half dozen or so most important places in the world in the development of modern architecture," he said, noting the roots of its heritage in the prewar designs of architects Richard Neutra and Rudolph Schindler

could be, but if those in LA are still trying so hard to make this point its really not the consensus in terms of being known as "iconic" or "cuturual" in terms to the average foreigner noticing....the image of freeways and lacking an urban core persist, with a less than notable skyline.

The first time I saw LA's skyline I thought 'that's it'?

anyway, again not about me.

Those responsible for this exhibition acknowledged LA's reputation -- I don't know why these posters can't.

What I think really doesn't matter. As I mentioned (of course, I'm just a stupid person by all accounts) the question was about perception.

Trying to get me to acknowledge the architecture in LA has absoltuley nothing to do with the perception.

I like SoCal that is why I live here.

I also like modern art and architecture. If I couldn't stand to live in an area lacking in "sophistication" I wouldn't have moved here.

I probably won't visit this area of the forums much though....talk about ridiculous!

I posted this article that I am quoting from, a few pages ago. If the curators and those involved with this exhibition can acknowledge LA's reputation (the good, the bad and the mundane) why can't you? They are doing something to change that, great.

Los Angeles touts architectural history in new exhibition | Reuters

first you have to acknowledge it exists...and why. Because there is truth to it.
Here's the funny thing: The exhibition the article refers to was just one of sixty exhibitions that were part Pacific Standard Time - Modern Architecture in Los Angeles last year. Los Angeles literally has made enough of a contribution to modern architecture that the curators were able to fill sixty exhibitions with it. The article you refer to explicitly mentions Richard Neutra, Rudolph Schindler, Frank Gehry, and Thom Mayne - 4 of our greatest architectural stars. And yet the only part you hone in on the one part about LA's public perception problem (which no one is denying) and conclude that no worthwhile architecture comes out of LA. Got it.

Still don't believe you live here. You're arguing in all different threads about how Chicago is the most iconic city. If you do, prove it: come downtown and we'll grab coffee and check out the architecture that you've somehow missed out on.

Quote:
In 100 years LA might be a great example of city planning and the architecture that influences the rest of the country or world and sets the bar for others to follow. So far, its not that.
Planning is a different topic entirely, and I would be the first person to agree with you that LA has made some major errors in planning along the way, mostly perputated by LADOT and CalTrans in the name of catering to automobiles. Thank god a lot of that is now changing, with the Measure R rail projects and mayor Eric Garcetti's (apparent, we shall see) commitment to making our streets more equitable towards pedestrians and cyclists. But this is a different topic entirely-one I'm happy to discuss. But it has nothing to do your repeated declarations that LA doesn't have an architectural legacy.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 04-15-2014 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 05:27 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Here's the funny thing: The exhibition the article refers to was just one of sixty exhibitions that were part Pacific Standard Time - Modern Architecture in Los Angeles last year. Los Angeles literally has made enough of a contribution to modern architecture that the curators were able to fill sixty exhibitions with it. The article you refer to explicitly mentions Richard Neutra, Rudolph Schindler, Frank Gehry, and Thom Mayne. And yet you hone in on the one part about LA's public perception problem (which no one is denying) and conclude that no worthwhile architecture comes out of LA. Got it.

Still don't believe you live here. You're arguing in all different threads about how Chicago is the most iconic city. If you do, prove it: come downtown and we'll grab coffee and check out the architecture that you've somehow missed out on.
Yeah, but Joe Blow doesn't know who Frank Gehry and Thom Mayne are, therefore L.A. has no architecture.

Again, I'm not seeing what's so cultured, sophisticated and worldly about these types of uniformed opinions. It reminds of the article (written by someone working for the NYT!) that asked why Los Angeles was getting a real space shuttle over New York City. She thought it was because LA had disneyland. This writer literally had no idea what Socal's contributions to the Shuttle program were. These are the people LA has to prove itself to??!!

Old 04-15-2014, 05:31 PM

Gehry is great - I think a lot of people who have a small inkling of architecture know who he is or can recognize some of his big works. The Pritzker Pavilion in Chicago was also designed by him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City