Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 01:04 PM

332 posts, read 344,086 times

Advertisements

Chicago?
Houston?
Dallas?
Phoenix?
Philadelphia?

I know it is not the three heavyweights NY or LA, over even SF (which isn't that close to a million), so I was wondering. What city has the urban big city feel and is actually a "big" city?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 01:12 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Well Chicago is the most populous city mentioned. But if your question is pertaining to affordability, as the title states, Dallas and Houston are the least expensive, yet neither are really urban or dense.

I make no secret of my love for Chicago. Even though its more expensive than the 2 aforementioned cities, its a lot less expensive than other cities that offer as much history, urbanity, transit, culture, and amenities. Its even larger yet less expensive than Philadelphia...also on your list

Old 05-09-2015, 01:14 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
For big metro areas, 4 million +, I'd go with Atlanta first. Rent, cost of living, and taxes are cheap, and it truly feels like a big city.

Phoenix is cheap, but it feels more like a big suburb and not very urban to me.

Dallas and Houston are cheap and more urban-feeling than Phoenix, but I like Atlanta more, and I feel Atlanta is cheaper. Property taxes in Texas are high, which inflates costs.

Chicago and Philly are cheap considering what they have to offer in terms of amenities, but they're still much more expensive than Atlanta, Houston, and Phoenix. But between these two cities, Chicago is cheaper and offers more to do within the city itself. Philly has more interesting architecture, less yuppies, and has more to do in the surrounding area (the Poconos, Jersey Shore, Chesapeake Bay, New York City). While rent and taxes will be higher in Philly and Chicago than in the subelt, you will not need to own a car, which will save you about $200-$700 a month.

In terms of metro areas in the 1-4 million range, Tucson, Buffalo, Memphis, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City, and Birmingham are all cheap, but with the exception of Buffalo, none of the those places feel very urban to me. None of these places strike me as "big cities."

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 05-09-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 01:16 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
I would say Dallas or Houston.

But over 1 million? Probably somewhere like Memphis or something. 1 million is a pretty low bar for a metro area.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:16 PM

^ Yep. I love Chicago. It's on my list to move to next, but I'm only hesitant because it's too close to home (Milwaukee) and I don't want to be that close to my family. Long story.

We'll see.

Oh, forgot to list San Jose and San Antonio. I don't think those cities are as urban as the others.

And I meant CITY sizes, not metro.

Last edited by ccdscott; 05-09-2015 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: Cities

Old 05-09-2015, 01:25 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
^ Yep. I love Chicago. It's on my list to move to next, but I'm only hesitant because it's too close to home (Milwaukee) and I don't want to be that close to my family. Long story.

We'll see.

Oh, forgot to list San Jose and San Antonio. I don't think those cities are as urban as the others.

This is problematic because places like San Antonio have over a million people in the city proper, but their metro areas are not much bigger.

Whereas Atlanta, Boston, and DC are all around a half million within city limits, but their metro areas are 2-3 times bigger than that of San Antonio.

You brought up San Jose. If you could afford to live there, you'd be better off in Oakland, which is infinitely more urban.

I'd suggest going by metro area population, but set the bar higher to 3.5 or 4 million.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 05-09-2015 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
This is problematic because places like San Antonio have over a million people in the city proper, but their metro areas are not much bigger.

Whereas Atlanta, Boston, and DC are all around a half million within city limits, but their metro areas are 2-3 times bigger than that of San Antonio.

You brought up San Jose. If you could afford to live there, you'd be better off in Oakland, which is infinitely more urban.

I'd suggest going by metro area population, but set the bar higher to 3.5 or 4 million.
You're right, that works.

And those three cities are plenty urban as well. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:37 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
City sizes are irrelevent. You could have a city of 2 million that is smaller than a city of 500k, it just has more land due to local incorporation laws.

Jacksonville or El Paso or Fort Worth are technically around as big or bigger than Boston or DC or SF going by your criteria.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:40 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
OP is discussing city not metro. It's relevant if that is what was asked.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:52 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Urban big city feel, 1M+ in population and affordable? IMO it's only Philly and Chicago with maybe parts of Atlanta.

If you're interested in smaller cities Pittsburgh and Cleveland may work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City