Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most culturally powerful
NYC 63 63.64%
Mexico City 9 9.09%
L.A. 52 52.53%
Chicago 11 11.11%
Toronto 13 13.13%
D.C. 7 7.07%
S.F. 18 18.18%
Montreal 9 9.09%
Boston 8 8.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:55 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

I never understand why people always feel the need to include boston with these threads, but never include Philadelphia...which clearly holds its fair share of influence and culture. I think Miami is another candidate for this list as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Let's not kid around...

When it comes to importing Culture........... NYC, closely followed by LA
But even more so, when it comes to EXPORTING culture, I have 2 words.....................

HIP HOP

NYC hands down...

There are even kids in Iraq and Myanmar that rap and have some sort of Hip Hop influence.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:29 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Let's not kid around...

But even more so, when it comes to EXPORTING culture, I have 2 words.....................

HIP HOP

NYC hands down...

There are even kids in Iraq and Myanmar that rap and have some sort of Hip Hop influence.
Ok, but not all hip-hop comes from NYC--Los Angeles has left its own highly influential stamp on that genre. The South basically runs it these days.

In terms of musical exports, I have L.A. ahead of NYC by a decent margin, at least in the postwar era.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 PM

484 posts, read 871,498 times
Tier 1
LA
NYC

Tier 2
Mexico City
SF
Montreal
Chicago

Tier 3
Toronto
Boston
DC

Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
Tier 1
LA
NYC

Tier 2
Mexico City
SF
Montreal
Chicago

Tier 3
Toronto
Boston
DC
Thanks for following directions and listing all the cities in your order.

Unfortunately the others haven't caught on. Either stating the obvious that everyone should know (NYC and L.A.) or being mindless boosters with no reasoning IMO.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 PM

81 posts, read 214,666 times
Tier 1: LA

Tier 2: NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Mexico City

Tier 3: SF, Montreal, Boston, DC

I'm sure my opinion will get a lot of backlash, but I personally don't see NY as a big exporter of "culture" anymore. Yes, New York is the most populous city in the US and is the most sophisticated city in the country. However, as far as trends starting in New York and spreading around the country, I really don't see it. As a younger person, I feel that LA's influence far outweighs anything NY puts out as far as how my peers dress, music people listen to, the film industry, TV shows, etc. NY has really fallen off in the last 15 years, IMO. It's still a great city, but it relevance to culture nationwide has really declined.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:11 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Let's not kid around...

HIP HOP

NYC hands down...

Hip hop doesn't matter culturally to those who have acquired higher than a 6th grade education. It is entertainment for a few, nothing more.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:25 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
I'm still debating out how to rank these cities, but I will say this:

If "policies" count as culture, DC is no worse than a Tier 2 city. The foreign and domestic policies that come out of there are enormously influential. Just look at the repeal of DoMA. A relatively minor event by DC's standards, but one that sparked passionate debate from both sides for months. Righties are still whining about it on the political forum, lol. The biggest knock on DC is that the city itself sets few cultural trends. It's a representative government too, so it's not just DC making decision, it's representatives from all 50 states making decisions. DC is being underrated regardless.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 09-06-2013 at 12:52 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 08:31 PM

592 posts, read 828,263 times
Importing culture- NYC

Exporting culture- LA

San Francisco arguably shapes culture more than the other cities, but LA is the city that exports them.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:33 PM

592 posts, read 828,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
Tier 1
LA
NYC

Tier 2
Mexico City
SF
Montreal
Chicago

Tier 3
Toronto
Boston
DC
Not a bad list, but I'd switch Toronto with Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City