Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 05:25 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

While part of a much larger metro, LA's downtown probably isn't the main focus of it's vast metro area...it doesn't really have one major node, but I suppose DTLA would be one. Judging by skyline, LA compares well with the 3 big cities of the 'new South' - Atlanta, Dallas and Houston, but I'm wondering how it compares in terms of things like:

size (physical)

downtown population

daytime vibrancy

night-time vibrancy

entertainment/nightlife (variety, amount)

dining

shopping

parks

amenities

museums/culture

etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:07 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Imo DTLA is on another level from the other three. Residential population alone is probably more than all three combined. Plus more are u/c in DTLA than the others. It also has two major supermarkets, Ralph's, Smart & Final plus Grand Central Market. Whole Foods is u/c. For shopping DTLA is tops. The Fashion District/Santee Alley might not have the big chains but thousands shop there each day and on the weekend the crowds swell to almost impossible. For the big chain dept stores, Dallas has that lovely Neiman Marcus. Dt Houston has Macy's which I here is closing. Dt Atlanta has none. DTLA has Macy's which inside the dark and dingy Macy's Plaza. But Macy's Plaza will start a $161 million renovation which will consist of tearing the roof off. Renovating and expanding Macy's into a flagship store. A second level will be added with more stores. Within the past few months Target, Brooks Brothers, Sprts Chalet, Ross have opened. A 27,000 sq foot flagship Zara is u/c along with an Urban Outfitters u/c in the old Rialto theater on Broadway.

Dozens of new restaurants have also opened in DTLA over the past year. I not going into all the catagories but DTLA is easily tops out of these 4.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:04 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
From LA & live here now, lived in Atlanta for 4 years. I just went back less than a month ago. Not sure about Houston or Dallas, but DT Atlanta just isn't as big as DTLA. You probably could have made a case 10 years ago that DTLA was the worst in the nation. However, with the revitalization efforts, DTLA will be one of the great DT in the nation fairly soon. If you combined Mid-Town and Five points, it still wouldn't be as active as DTLA. ATL does seem to me to have a more accessible and cheaper nightlife scene, but DT ATL has nothing on the diversity on DTLA. There is no Little Tokyo, Arts District, Fasion District, Historic Core, or Chinatown type of area that makes ATL standout. LA pretty much sweeps ATL in all categories cause DTLA nightlife is just overall better with the multiple rooftop bars in the area.

Edit: We also have a Pinata District

Last edited by jamills21; 09-01-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 12:17 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
I don't think they're comparable.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:58 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
From LA & live here now, lived in Atlanta for 4 years. I just went back less than a month ago. Not sure about Houston or Dallas, but DT Atlanta just isn't as big as DTLA. You probably could have made a case 10 years ago that DTLA was the worst in the nation. However, with the revitalization efforts, DTLA will be one of the great DT in the nation fairly soon. If you combined Mid-Town and Five points, it still wouldn't be as active as DTLA. ATL does seem to me to have a more accessible and cheaper nightlife scene, but DT ATL has nothing on the diversity on DTLA. There is no Little Tokyo, Arts District, Fasion District, Historic Core, or Chinatown type of area that makes ATL standout. LA pretty much sweeps ATL in all categories cause DTLA nightlife is just overall better with the multiple rooftop bars in the area.

Edit: We also have a Pinata District
There's a lot of different districts in DTLA but like the city itself downtown still isn't too cohesive. I like the somewhat fractured nature, makes it more an exploration. They're working on a streetcar plan for interconnectivity but the way it is now isn't a problem for me. It's true though that casual visitors probably won't visit the different areas if they're even aware of them. I suppose that's an issue.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:19 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Downtown LA is definitely the best of the 4. I'd ranked it L.A., Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston in that order of how vibrant/great the downtowns are.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:46 PM

Default Downtown L.A. by me

Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
Wow, very nice pics, especially, the ice skating! What time of year was that? I would imagine that the ice resurfacer has to make frequent rounds.

Where are the other Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas champions? Let's see some street level pics. Some atypical street level pics.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:03 PM

Default More of DTLA by me

Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Here is Atlanta special events and regular days

Downtown Atlanta Vibrancy - Day & Night - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City