Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More relevant city in the future
Houston 155 53.45%
Boston 135 46.55%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 PM

92 posts, read 137,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
In this thread Houston is king because it has the higher GDP. In the Houston vs. SF thread, Houston is still king despite the lower GDP because 'Zedd Spectrum' knows some black people who moved from Oakland and has a gut feeling Chevron will be relocating its HQ.
What is faster GDP growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,341 times
A relative term?

Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd Spectrum View Post
Its a hypothetical based in truth. If you wanna see how powerful a city is, how can it hurt others?

Ok, but its hard to compare two different things and say they are alike if you don't use an objective equalizer like GDP. In terms of what makes more money (which really is the most important thing of all), Houston wipes the floor with Boston. Boston has niches that is better than Houston, but Houston is the center of the economic world in the US when it comes to the energy industry (not to mention, it has one of the largest US ports and largest medical centers in the US). Can Boston compare?
So you would consider High Tech and Finance niche sectors?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Are all Houstonians like this Zedd fellow?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:14 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Are all Houstonians like this Zedd fellow?
What a ridiculous question.

If you had actually ever lived there or knew as much about it as you pretend to, you wouldn't need to ask or bash the place.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Its a hypothetical based in truth. If you wanna see how powerful a city is, how can it hurt others?
That hypothetical only exists in your head man. If you want to go that bizarre route, I could say Boston's financial services companies could intentionally tank all pensions/401(k)s associated with Houston...or I guess I could say all the scientists in Boston could turn evil and create a virus that kills everyone in Houston? I don't know. Probably a weird way to look at this sort of thing.

Quote:
Then why isn't this reflected in the GDP?
As I mentioned before, not all economic power can be gauged within GDP.

Life sciences research isn't reflected in GDP because that individual sector doesn't necessary produce money. Instead, it receives it via public and private investment.

Regarding venture capital (private) investment (which is not just life sciences, this includes tech investments), in 2010 Boston received roughly $2.47 billion. Comparatively, the entire state of Texas only received $981 million. As of 2012, Boston's number had risen to over $3.1 billion. This is #2 for American VC investments behind the gargantuan level received by the SF Bay, and it's nearly 40% more than received by the #3 city, New York.

For public investments (NIH Funding), Boston/Cambridge receive more than any other city in the country, by far. In 2013, Boston/Cambridge received roughly $2.4 billion in NIH grants vs #2 NYC, which received $1.4 billion. In fact Boston/Cambridge outgained every state in the country except for California, which received $3.3 billion in 2013. Comparatively, the entire state of Texas received $1 billion in 2013.

Please note that this level of funding doesn't include the massive amounts of internal investment made by private pharma/biotech companies, which aren't included in either of these figures. This includes investments by Genzyme/Sanofi, Novartis, biogen idec, Millennium/Takeda, Vertex, Merck Serono, Shire, GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca, Cubist, Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Abbott...just to name a few.

Before you get all giggly and laugh about the fact that these figures are in the single-digit billions, you need to put these numbers in context of the industry. These are the highest and second highest levels of funds received in the country and potentially the world.

If raw dollar levels are more your thing, then let's talk financial services. Unfortunately, Texas isn't really much of a player when it comes to this area, so I don't really have any legit levels to give you an estimate of Houston's asset management levels. However, I can say that it is below Charlotte, who ranked relatively far down the list with $655 billion AUM (assets under management). Boston comes in at #2, behind NYC, with a dizzying $5.563 trillion under management. You could combine #3 & #4 (LA & SF) and still have $1 trillion left to spare before they could match Boston's level.

Not to mention the roughly $20 trillion held under custody by State Street alone.

So as you can see, there's much more to economic power than solely raw GDP numbers.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:46 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
What a ridiculous question.

If you had actually ever lived there or knew as much about it as you pretend to, you wouldn't need to ask or bash the place.
So you admit this guy is waaaaayyyyyy over the top right?

I've been to Houston, possibly 500 times, if not more. I'm a Texan, but this is embarrassing to Texans.

You don't really see a lot of posts like these for Austin, Dallas, SA.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 09-12-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM

157 posts, read 316,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
So you admit this guy is waaaaayyyyyy over the top right?

I've been to Houston, possibly 500 times, if not more. I'm a Texan, but this is embarrassing to Texans.

You don't really see a lot of posts like these for Austin, Dallas, SA.
I lived in Texas for 60 years and still cannot get my head around why Houston is like that. But it is.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
I lived in Texas for 60 years and still cannot get my head around why Houston is like that. But it is.
Houston isn't like this. Zedd is.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:45 PM

157 posts, read 316,706 times
Default Houston

As a Texan, Houston truly concerns me. Houston seems a future trainwreck of destiny. It has no planning or life view, no true core of itself like other cities to fall back on. It is a false place and sadly will never see greatness if it continues on the current path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City