Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM

55 posts, read 233,651 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am new to Florida, moved out there a little over a year ago with my husband to his hometown of Seminole, near Tampa. I am a Southern California girl myself. Needless to say the humidity has been hard to adjust to and actually keeps my indoors for at least 3 months. This past summer I almost went crazy and got pretty depressed by the heat and humidity. Florida is a beautiful, green and wet state. Love the warm waters and all the green but I do miss very much so seeing mountains.
We drove into Asheville area a few years ago to visit brother in law in Tennessee, loved it in Asheville and particularly in Black mountain. However it was summer time and we did experience the same humidity level and heat that we do in Florida. In that same road trip we went from Tennessee into the Carolinas and all the way to Florida.
I hear people say that the humidity is not as bad in North Carolina as it is in Florida.
Would love to hear from people who have actually lived in one or both places preferably that could give their perspectives of that.
We have to babies. I have written about this before but not just about the humidity. I know it may seem silly and also please add that too. Do you get used to it?
Anything else you could add about your experience and preference would be great. Really trying to gather more info, as much as possible.
Also our 2 year old son has Down syndrome if anyone has any idea of services for Ds or special needs in North Carolina.
Thanks and God Bless!!!
Jess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 02:16 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeska30 View Post
Hi! I am new to Florida, moved out there a little over a year ago with my husband to his hometown of Seminole, near Tampa. I am a Southern California girl myself. Needless to say the humidity has been hard to adjust to and actually keeps my indoors for at least 3 months. This past summer I almost went crazy and got pretty depressed by the heat and humidity. Florida is a beautiful, green and wet state. Love the warm waters and all the green but I do miss very much so seeing mountains.
We drove into Asheville area a few years ago to visit brother in law in Tennessee, loved it in Asheville and particularly in Black mountain. However it was summer time and we did experience the same humidity level and heat that we do in Florida. In that same road trip we went from Tennessee into the Carolinas and all the way to Florida.
I hear people say that the humidity is not as bad in North Carolina as it is in Florida.
Would love to hear from people who have actually lived in one or both places preferably that could give their perspectives of that.
We have to babies. I have written about this before but not just about the humidity. I know it may seem silly and also please add that too. Do you get used to it?
Anything else you could add about your experience and preference would be great. Really trying to gather more info, as much as possible.
Also our 2 year old son has Down syndrome if anyone has any idea of services for Ds or special needs in North Carolina.
Thanks and God Bless!!!
Jess
]

I am from Florida. Orlando to be exact. I go to Tampa often. I can say this. The level of heat in Florida depends on where you are. Lets use Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville for instance.

While Miami is further south the sun rays hit harder. They are near the Atlantic so a sea breeze usually keeps the temperatures from being too high, nevertheless being they are further south it is still extremely difficult to be outside down there.

Tampa again s near a coast. So therefore the West Coast sea breeze pushes inland and keeps Tampa from being too humid and hot, even though that happens around 2 3 or 4 from day to day during the wet season.

Jacksonville is further north and on the Atlantic Ocean so therefore sea breeze comes through there as well and because it is futher north it does nto get quite as hot on a day to day basis.

Orlando on the other hand, gets extremely hot. It is nearer to the Atlantic Ocean than the Gulf so when the sea breezes do meet they are different air energies so they create thunderstorms across the Orlando region daily. That being said Orlando remains hot and is more humid throughout the day because there is no way for it to cool down unless it is a thunderstorm. So you will see temperatures in Orlando higher and hear people say there is much more heat in Orlando.

In my personal opinion i think humidity is bearable throughout most of the state because each city cools itself down in one way or another but Orlando due to the lack of sea breeze support early in the day heats up and humidity stays VERY high!

I have been to the Carolina's and it is extremely hot there too. But same thing when the sea breeze comes off the Atlantic or the breeze come down from the mountains too cool a particular area down so it works the same way.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:31 PM

55 posts, read 233,651 times
Thanks for your honest opinion = )! I guess when you come from a very dry and basically a desert state like California it takes some adjusting. I will also say that I am currently here in L.A. area visiting my family and now I cannot handle the dryness and browness of the area. Of course my parents live in the armpit of So Cal, Palmdale, which is the high desert. Not to mention the smog!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Yeah that just might be it. It may take a few summers to get acquainted to. It wont be that bad, well I guess I cant say that since I grew up with high humidity for majority of the year.

yeah heat, I can only imagine the dry and browness of it making it worse ha ha. and Smog, oh no, thats worse then when we do have wildfires here.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
When we lived in Miami years ago, lots of neighbors and friends used to go to NC (specifically Western NC) to escape the heat and humidity. We did one year too, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Not that the Smokies are dry and cool all summer, but better than So FL. It's all relative!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I live in both Florida and North Carolina and I can assure you that the humidity in Florida is much higher than it is in North Carolina. Each time I go to North Carolina and hear people complain about the humidity, I just laugh to myself. In the Summer, the biggest difference in humidity levels is in the evenings. This is where it's the most noticeable to me that the humidity is higher in Florida. In some places in North Carolina, the temps can be higher in the daytime but cooler in the nighttime than Florida. But, across the board, the humidity levels feel much lower to me.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I live in both Florida and North Carolina and I can assure you that the humidity in Florida is much higher than it is in North Carolina. Each time I go to North Carolina and hear people complain about the humidity, I just laugh to myself. In the Summer, the biggest difference in humidity levels is in the evenings. This is where it's the most noticeable to me that the humidity is higher in Florida. In some places in North Carolina, the temps can be higher in the daytime but cooler in the nighttime than Florida. But, across the board, the humidity levels feel much lower to me.
You speak the truth...and looking further into the humidity of Asheville versus Tampa, the OP should know that Asheville is located in the mountains at a high elevation where the humidity and temperature is much less than in other areas of NC. It gets hot in the summertime, but it is nothing like the humid heat of Tampa.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
]

I am from Florida. Orlando to be exact. I go to Tampa often. I can say this. The level of heat in Florida depends on where you are. Lets use Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville for instance.

While Miami is further south the sun rays hit harder. They are near the Atlantic so a sea breeze usually keeps the temperatures from being too high, nevertheless being they are further south it is still extremely difficult to be outside down there.

Tampa again s near a coast. So therefore the West Coast sea breeze pushes inland and keeps Tampa from being too humid and hot, even though that happens around 2 3 or 4 from day to day during the wet season.

Jacksonville is further north and on the Atlantic Ocean so therefore sea breeze comes through there as well and because it is futher north it does nto get quite as hot on a day to day basis.

Orlando on the other hand, gets extremely hot. It is nearer to the Atlantic Ocean than the Gulf so when the sea breezes do meet they are different air energies so they create thunderstorms across the Orlando region daily. That being said Orlando remains hot and is more humid throughout the day because there is no way for it to cool down unless it is a thunderstorm. So you will see temperatures in Orlando higher and hear people say there is much more heat in Orlando.

In my personal opinion i think humidity is bearable throughout most of the state because each city cools itself down in one way or another but Orlando due to the lack of sea breeze support early in the day heats up and humidity stays VERY high!

I have been to the Carolina's and it is extremely hot there too. But same thing when the sea breeze comes off the Atlantic or the breeze come down from the mountains too cool a particular area down so it works the same way.
I lived in South Florida for 15 years, and I don't find Orlando to be any hotter than South Florida, or Tampa for that matter. Depending on the day, each can be pretty bad, but personally I don't mind it. I will add that the breeze does help things just a bit in SF like you said, but we have a better winter season here in general (not counting this cold spell we are in right now).

Last edited by Pete C; 01-06-2010 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I lived in South Florida for 15 years, and I don't find Orlando to be any hotter than South Florida, or Tampa for that matter. Depending on the day, each can be pretty bad, but personally I don't mind it. I will add that the breeze does help things just a bit in SF like you said, but we have a better winter season here in general (not counting this cold spell we are in right now).

Not necessarily hotter, I mean temps vary. But because of the sea breeze you do "FEEL" it. Not a whole lot though LOL.

How do we have a better winter? Were considered "Humid Sub Tropical" while south Florida is considered "True Tropical"! IMO I think Winters in Central and Southern Florida are about the same. Northern Florida though. No Way

Old 01-06-2010, 11:47 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Florida has more harsh humidity hands down. Especially compared to Western North Carolina. If you didn't truly feel that you escaped the humidity when you visited Asheville, try traveling further up in elevation to a nice little town called Boone. It's usually the coolest place in the south during the summer due to it's high elevation.

IMO, there isn't any other place in the U.S. with worse humidity than Miami. There are hotter places, definitely, but humidity-wise, Miami takes the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City