Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto VS Vancouver VS Montreal:For a TOURIST,which is the best place?More to to?
Toronto 15 20.27%
Vancouver 13 17.57%
Montreal 36 48.65%
All equally impressive 10 13.51%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:07 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Having said that - I think this whole unique experience thing is entirely played up like those who contend that Toronto plays up its diversity.

If you want a unique experience as typical American or Canadian go to Havana, Mexico City, or countless cities in Europe, South America, Africa or Asia.. Heck Marrakech, Siem Reap, Ho Chi Man city and Timbuktu offer more UNIQUE experiences for any North American than Montreal lol.

Except that this thread is discussing Montreal compared to Toronto compared to Vancouver. That's our topic.

I don't think anyone has said that Montreal was the most unique city in the world.

As for ''uniqueness'' it seems like it is often brought up here by people who are not Montrealers, whereas the defence that Toronto is every bit as unique as Montreal seems to mostly come from Torontonians.

I would say that what people mean by uniqueness is that Montreal feels more like a foreign place to Americans than Toronto does.

Of course this is primarily related to language (and all the cultural ramifications this has), so perhaps if it's such a big concern then maybe Toronto should make French its main language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 11:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
Canada is strange (in a good way) in the sense that it seems like it has a lot in common with America, but at the same time also many things are different. I love that.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Except that this thread is discussing Montreal compared to Toronto compared to Vancouver. That's our topic.

I don't think anyone has said that Montreal was the most unique city in the world.

As for ''uniqueness'' it seems like it is often brought up here by people who are not Montrealers, whereas the defence that Toronto is every bit as unique as Montreal seems to mostly come from Torontonians.

I would say that what people mean by uniqueness is that Montreal feels more like a foreign place to Americans than Toronto does.

Of course this is primarily related to language (and all the cultural ramifications this has), so perhaps if it's such a big concern then maybe Toronto should make French its main language?
I actually agree with most of your points and do find as a tourist from the U.S you are going to get a more different feel in Montreal than Toronto... I'm not so sure for most Americans that this is their priority.. they may want a safe bet or depending on the specific interests that they have for going to a place, Toronto may have attractions that they would prefer and would be the more appealing choice for them.

So, I do believe the reason Toronto gets more visitors across the board than Montreal from the U.S is that the typical American visitor to Canada may not actually be looking for as unique an experience as what many people in here are contending is the biggest reason Montreal is the tourism choice over Toronto - its uniqueness.. More unique - yes... more actual American Tourists visiting - no. The Americans choosing unique are probably going to choose more exotic destinations. If they are going to go unique they are going to go unique - somewhere far away and more exotic than anywhere in N.A...

Old 09-17-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I chose "All equally impressive".

Each city has it's own strong points, very hard to decide which one is better.
This is very true... You will find something different in each.. What Is your favourite or most appealing is a matter of personal preference. I may have two or three favourite cities in the U.S to visit - but this doesn't mean i'm only going to visit two or three places....

Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
So if one goes to Orlando for Disneyland but not too see the city... that makes Orlando a meeting place?
Um...yeh!
What else is Orlando knon for?What culture is it known for?History?Architecture?haha.Oh and its Disneyworld,not Disneyland

Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
I don't have any desire to really go to Vancouver.I will go next time if I am in Seattle.Other than that I would never just book a ticket and fly there.Too many other places I have not been.

Not really an outdoorsy type person either.Just enough to get a picture or two.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Oh and its Disneyworld,not Disneyland
*shrugs shoulders*

Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I actually agree with most of your points and do find as a tourist from the U.S you are going to get a more different feel in Montreal than Toronto... I'm not so sure for most Americans that this is their priority.. they may want a safe bet or depending on the specific interests that they have for going to a place, Toronto may have attractions that they would prefer and would be the more appealing choice for them.

So, I do believe the reason Toronto gets more visitors across the board than Montreal from the U.S is that the typical American visitor to Canada may not actually be looking for as unique an experience as what many people in here are contending is the biggest reason Montreal is the tourism choice over Toronto - its uniqueness.. More unique - yes... more actual American Tourists visiting - no. The Americans choosing unique are probably going to choose more exotic destinations. If they are going to go unique they are going to go unique - somewhere far away and more exotic than anywhere in N.A...
You may have a point. I mean, who hasn't known people who, given the choice between a travel destination that's more like home, and one that's less similar, will choose the one like home because it's more ''their style''?

Not all of us are like that, and most people on this forum are probably not. But out there in the general populace? You are likely right.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You may have a point. I mean, who hasn't known people who, given the choice between a travel destination that's more like home, and one that's less similar, will choose the one like home because it's more ''their style''?

Not all of us are like that, and most people on this forum are probably not. But out there in the general populace? You are likely right.
Even on this forum the differences do not appear that great.. Generally speaking Montreal is chosen over Toronto but not by much..

Old 09-18-2013, 09:02 AM

354 posts, read 681,683 times
For how long and which seasons?

If it's only for a few days I would pick Vancouver. The city is like an anomaly from the rest of English speaking North America. I do like Montreal and Toronto very much though as well, both great cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City