Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:02 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities is better at economic development based on their transit investment? Which city has gotten a greater return on investment? Should Charlotte take cues from Cleveland or vice versa? Both of these cities made a major investment in their transit infrastructure, however, both did it in separate ways. Which city made the right choice?

Cleveland BRT Line
-9 Mile Line
-$5 billion in development around stations
-Cost to build $197 million

Charlotte Light Rail Line
-9.6 Mile Line
-$3 billion in development around stations
-Cost to build $522 million

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/08/char...nes-same-track
The Surprising Key to Making Transit-Oriented Development Work - Eric Jaffe - The Atlantic Cities
Cleveland's HealthLine has Boosted Transit Ridership and Development
Charlotte's light rail creates boom in apartments | CharlotteObserver.com
Charlotte’s light rail extension to UNCC breaks ground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 09:44 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
I can't speak to Charlotte, but much of Cleveland's development has nothing to do with its BRT, especially in University Circle by the hospitals and Case Western. Some (most?) of the major projects were conceived, designed or begun years before gravel broke. Midtown is still relatively bleak with a few spots here and there despite the BRT going through it, and I have no idea if CSU's expansion is related to the project. Perhaps.

I'd say it's a piece of the puzzle and overall a good thing, especially since Euclid was just a complete wreck prior, but who really knows what the investment actually produced. I've been on the Healthline multiple times. It's a bus that drives in the middle lane. Nothing rapid about it. No controlled signals (which was promised). Not really a big deal.

They did it on the cheap and got what they paid for. Train was always optimal, but the city didn't have the population and economy to justify that kind of funding.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:51 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I can't speak to Charlotte, but much of Cleveland's development has nothing to do with its BRT, especially in University Circle by the hospitals and Case Western. Some (most?) of the major projects were conceived, designed or begun years before gravel broke. Midtown is still relatively bleak with a few spots here and there despite the BRT going through it, and I have no idea if CSU's expansion is related to the project. Perhaps.

I'd say it's a piece of the puzzle and overall a good thing, especially since Euclid was just a complete wreck prior, but who really knows what the investment actually produced. I've been on the Healthline multiple times. It's a bus that drives in the middle lane. Nothing rapid about it. No controlled signals (which was promised). Not really a big deal.

They did it on the cheap and got what they paid for. Train was always optimal, but the city didn't have the population and economy to justify that kind of funding.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Everything I have read links the investment to the BRT line. What makes you think that is false?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Charlotte's benefit from light rail is that a lot of condos/apartments have sprung up in the Uptown neighborhoods. Not as beneficial to the economy.

Isn't Cleveland in the negatives for growth?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:33 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Interesting, I didn't know that. Everything I have read links the investment to the BRT line. What makes you think that is false?
It's mostly boosterism filled with grains of truths and half-truths. If you go to urbanohio.com or cleveland.com and rifle through the forums and articles, you'll see plenty of chicken and egg discussion there.

Additionally, there is a lot of controversy with the proposed BRT going down Ashland in Chicago, with concerns that because of changed traffic patterns, losing two car lanes, no left turns, etc, the businesses (and there are tons up north) along the already extremely busy street will take a massive hit.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:32 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Make no mistake, the Euclid Corridor has had a big impact. Look at Downtown from Public Square to CSU, the streetscaping that was done for the project has definitely had a positive impact on businesses. I also see positive changes happening in Midtown, where none were happening before. The Uptown Project in UC was not conceived before the project, and is directly related to it. I'd say the project has been a huge success, even if the Art Museum expansion, hospitals, and CSU expansions may have happened anyway. The street went from being a dilapidated traffic artery to an attractive amenity, and this has acted as a draw for businesses and residents, even if it hasn't completely taken off yet.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
Cleveland is much more interesting, especially on a historical value.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:21 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Cleveland is much more interesting, especially on a historical value.
Completely irrelevant to the topic.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:10 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Which of these cities is better at economic development based on their transit investment? Which city has gotten a greater return on investment? Should Charlotte take cues from Cleveland or vice versa? Both of these cities made a major investment in their transit infrastructure, however, both did it in separate ways.
Your post is false from the start. Cleveland has rail (has had it for a long time by the way) then later built bus rapid transit. Charlotte is building rail now, then later Charlotte will be building bus rapid transit down Independence Blvd. The multi-mode transit system that Cleveland has in place is exactly what Charlotte is working towards. A better thread would be a BRT-only city (which Cleveland is NOT) vs a light rail-only city (which Charlotte is not).

Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
The Uptown Project in UC was not conceived before the project, and is directly related to it.
Actually, that's not true. Here's a quote from Ari Maron, developer of Uptown, in a recent Cleveland Jewish News expose: “The trick is they’re all connected by the Red Line, the piece of transit infrastructure that connects the airport to the two largest employment centers in the region, downtown and University Circle,” Maron said. “We’ve purposefully concentrated on neighborhoods adjacent to the Red Line stops, believing that the future is walkable and transit-oriented communities.”

CJN Jews of Interest: Ari Maron - Cleveland Jewish News: Community

Yes, I know the OP compared Charlotte LRT to Cleveland BRT, but I'd also add that comparing Charlotte and Cleveland is a bit skewed because of the relative ages of the 2 transit systems: Cleveland's rapid transit system was started 100 years ago vs. 5 years ago for Charlotte's Lynx LRT. The original Shaker lines (now the Blue and Green Lines) sparked some of the greatest TOD in America: The Terminal Group (now expanding Tower City), Shaker Square, the unique shopping area with tons of apartments (this area was farm land when the Rapid was built, ... and of course, upscale, model commuter suburb: Shaker Heights.

Charlotte’s doing some nice things, transit wise, but it has quite a ways to go to match Cleveland… And as for BRT, once again, I think the TOD allegedly sparked by the Health Line is a tad overblown… even though I love the Health Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City