Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Graffiti
San Francisco 16 12.31%
NYC 53 40.77%
Philadelphia 25 19.23%
Toronto 6 4.62%
Other 30 23.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,689,062 times

Advertisements

Before we go on to bash how graffiti is vandalism and how it makes the city look ugly, I would like to say that graffiti creates a city's identity. It shows vibrancy. It is a indication of civilization.

Which of these cities do you find the most creative type of graffiti that embodies art, vibrancy, and creativity? Please exclude gang graffiti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 PM

239 posts, read 306,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Before we go on to bash how graffiti is vandalism and how it makes the city look ugly, I would like to say that graffiti creates a city's identity. It shows vibrancy. It is a indication of civilization.

Which of these cities do you find the most creative type of graffiti that embodies art, vibrancy, and creativity? Please exclude gang graffiti.
There is good graffiti now? Is there good feces too?

Graffiti is ugly and low-class, and thankfully I never see graffiti living here in Manhattan. I've seen it driving on the freeway that runs past the hood though. Looks trashy.

If I even see someone attempt to spray painting anything, I'd call the cops and have those filthy thugs thrown in jail immediately. Graffiti belongs in the hood, not in civilized societies.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,018,864 times
The best graffiti is no graffiti. Especially on public property where people will see it.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,773,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post

Graffiti is ugly and low-class, and thankfully I never see graffiti living here in Manhattan. I've seen it driving on the freeway that runs past the hood though. Looks trashy.

If I even see someone attempt to spray painting anything, I'd call the cops and have those filthy thugs thrown in jail immediately. Graffiti belongs in the hood, not in civilized societies.

Since when is the hood not a "civilized society"? Your post reeks of elitism.

And FYI 90% of modern fashion draws directly or indirectly from the art these "thugs" you speak of are doing. And how in the hell did you conclude that graffiti artists are thugs anyway? Somehow I don't think you're thinking of white "thugs" despite that the majority of graffiti artists are white.

You sound completely clueless about this topic. Why did you even bother posting?

Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post

Yes there is still graffiti in Manhattan.

Are you a NYC transplant? If you are, I would understand.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,773,825 times
Anyway, I'll go ahead and say NYC. Original Hip Hop culture (ie b-boying, graffiti, mcing, etc.) is strongest there to this day for obvious reasons.

There's plenty of amazing grafitti in all of the other american cities you mentioned though (idk about Toronto).

Old 02-06-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The best graffiti is no graffiti. Especially on public property where people will see it.
No graffiti gives a city no identity. I used to love when my cousin used to take me to the city from Brooklyn when we used to go shopping. The tags on the walls and bridges were like a 360 canvas. I was ticked off when they decided to get rid of all the graffiti in NYC. What they are doing is erasing NYC's history.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,018,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And FYI 90% of modern fashion draws directly or indirectly from the art these "thugs" you speak of are doing.
So this makes it okay to deface public property? Or someone else's private property? Or corporate property? (railroad cars) No, it's not okay, and civilized people see it as vandalism. This doesn't make HAC NY or anyone else who shares this opinion elitist or racist. It's a simple matter of decency and expectations in our society.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Anyway, I'll go ahead and say NYC. Original Hip Hop culture (ie b-boying, graffiti, mcing, etc.) is strongest there to this day for obvious reasons.

There's plenty of amazing grafitti in all of the other american cities you mentioned though (idk about Toronto).
Tornto has plenty of graffiti that goes back to the early 80s.

Flickr: toronto graffiti, street art and scribbles (http://www.flickr.com/groups/torontograffiti/ - broken link)

Old 02-06-2011, 06:16 PM

77 posts, read 200,515 times
I'd give this to Philadelphia. However the graffiti in Philadelphia is truly art and more like murals, and it's encouraged by the local community and has added a lot of beauty to many neighborhoods. As an art lover, I was completely blown away by it. It reminded me a lot of the great graffiti in Berlin and London, but not quite as vast.

New York, Toronto, and to slightly lesser extent San Francisco have some very cool graffiti, but not as good as Philly. I'd say in North America, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and Montreal have the most interesting and artistic graffiti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City