Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:04 AM

337 posts, read 268,415 times

Advertisements

Boston geographically rests between Philadelphia and Halifax. It has similarities and differences with each of these cities, ie. Boston and Philadelphia's roles as significant historical American cities and larger populations vs. Boston being American, not Canadian and larger vs. Halifax.

However, Boston and Halifax have historical ties as trading cities, they are both maritime, and they share similar architecture, including wooden housing stock. Philadelphia by contrast is both a northeast and Mid Atlantic city, and their brick rowhouses reflect that. Philadelphia leans more industrial than maritime.

Also, interestingly, many Haligonians follow Boston sports teams.

In any case, thought it would be an interesting comparison!

Last edited by Mayei; 03-12-2017 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Added sentence for clarification.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:36 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
I've always thought of Boston and Philadelphia as being very similar, peer cities.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:16 PM

822 posts, read 857,351 times
Philly is like Boston on steroids.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:46 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
I don't think I am qualified to say if Philly and Boston are that similar, but, I don't think Boston and Halifax are.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:27 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogJasper View Post
That is correct.

I've always thought of pairs like this.

Boston/Philadelphia
Seattle/Portland
Los Angeles/San Diego
Dallas/Houston
Chicago/Detroit

Etc.

It also helps I've been to them to know.
You went too far with Chicago/Detroit. Not today. Though I applaud Detroit is on the rise in its core for sure and has some vibrant neighborhoods.

So in looks -- its Philly/Baltimore For me minus Harbor Place that I enjoyed a few times.
We forget - both Philly and Baltimore are the attached Row-home Capitals of the US. SF's are in a different class. More different homes merely butted up to each other. Not built as a all the same and a wall of Rows. My opinion.

As for Chicago and Detroit? Both chose single un-attached as its primary built. Chicago has more on apartment buildings and 2-3-flats added in. Much more of Chicago remained intact and blight removed. Crime link -- check out Philly's compared to them and much more like Baltimore then Boston's.

So only in the legacy of early American History Boston and Philly share. Boston left building Row-homes early for its Triple-Decker housing. Philly has nothing like them and continued Row-homes into the mid20th century.

Halifax has the Maritime link with Boston with its coastal Massachusetts communities.

Wikipedia has a section titled the "Boston-Halifax relations".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston...ifax_relations

- Travel between Halifax and Boston is common, particularly in the summer months.
- A notable proportion of Nova Scotians (and Haligonians in particular) identify as supporters of Boston's major professional sports league teams.
- Many of Halifax's people are also able to receive many Boston TV stations and AM and FM stations.
- There is currently a weekly container feeder service between the port of Halifax and the port of Boston. This gives Boston access to 20 shipping lines which come in to Halifax.
- There is a very special reason too. That Halifax gives Boston its Christmas tree each year too.

Bostonians and Halifax have total respect for each other and NO inferior complex toward each other. Both are happy in their cities. Philadelphian sports fans --- to put it nicely. Are in a class by themselves. Not like Boston fans but for pride. The nice toward other teams fans are much different.

So the

A C-D thread. Philly-Baltimore won the poll of city link by similarities.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ilarities.html

Seriously North Philly and SW Philly looks smack like Baltimore, except with narrow streets and short blocks. what 2 east coast cities look more alike than Baltimore & Philly? Both City Halls even look alike.

Chicago's core has boomed since the 80s. Sadly, Detroit's did not. Chicago's bungalow belt also reminded intact. But it is so sad so much great single-family homes with nice yards in Detroit were lost. Chicago cleared out its Southside blight and left the lots. Sad too great housing stock was lost.

It is true Boston gentrified 20 years sooner then Philly and 10-15 years sooner then Chicago. Baltimore had Harbor Place early done. But slower elsewhere and behind Philly. But it may start to catch up.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:44 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I don't think I am qualified to say if Philly and Boston are that similar, but, I don't think Boston and Halifax are.
Nova Scotia is much like New England because its separated from the rest of Anglo-Canada.
Nova Scotia is more culturally interconnected to New England than Pennsylvania in general.
Now maybe Boston is a bad comparison because of the scale it functions more like Philly, but a city like Portsmouth or Salem is more like Halifax or Yarmouth than it is like Reading or Harrisburg PA.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:33 PM

337 posts, read 268,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Nova Scotia is much like New England because its separated from the rest of Anglo-Canada.
Nova Scotia is more culturally interconnected to New England than Pennsylvania in general.
Now maybe Boston is a bad comparison because of the scale it functions more like Philly, but a city like Portsmouth or Salem is more like Halifax or Yarmouth than it is like Reading or Harrisburg PA.
Great points. I definitely did consider the similarities between the Martime region and New England. Boston is definitely a much larger, more bustling city than Halifax, and is closer to Philly in that regard.

Last edited by Mayei; 03-12-2017 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 03-12-2017, 08:53 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Clearly Philadelphia.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:58 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
Quote:
That is correct.

I've always thought of pairs like this.

Boston/Philadelphia
Seattle/Portland
Los Angeles/San Diego
Dallas/Houston
Chicago/Detroit

Etc.

It also helps I've been to them to know.
Yeah, though I'd group Los Angeles with either New York or Chicago, and San Francisco with DC. I think that Detroit and the Twin Cities are pairs as well. Other pairs include Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinnati/Pittsburgh?, and Charleston and Savannah.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:16 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
There is much more in common with Philadelphia and Boston than just colonial history (a very long list), and there is more architecture in Philadelphia than just rowhomes (and Boston with tripledeckers).

I don't understand why people just tend to focus on one thing with huge cities like these.
You should list them? Where is Philly and Boston linked after the Colonial periods and our early US Nations history and housing stock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.