Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times

Advertisements

FROM USA TODAY ONLINE:

"Some places get such a build-up that they can't possibly live up to their reputation. Visitors leave having checked off their bucket list, but feeling vaguely unsatisfied. But occasionally a destination delivers big time, says Jamie Wong, founder of XXXX, a site connecting visitors to locals who offer insider tours and travel advice. "Even in the hyped up world of travel, some places are truly remarkable," Wong says. She shares some favorites with Larry Bleiberg for USA TODAY."

1. The Grand Canyon
2. Vancouver
3. Martha's Vineyard
4. Savannah
5. Austin
6. Berkeley
7. Baja California, Mexico
8. New York City
9. North Shore Kauai
10. Paris

I agree with all these! And of course, I'm not biased!

10 great places that live up to their reputation

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-07-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 04:36 PM

399 posts, read 882,772 times
Stopped reading when I saw "New York City has something for everyone, from nature lover to foodie to culture seeker."

Old 10-07-2013, 04:54 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
I think most of Austin's hype is as a place to live, more so than a place to visit.

And for a lot of people, it doesn't seem to live up to that hype.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:41 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Stopped reading when I saw "New York City has something for everyone, from nature lover to foodie to culture seeker."

How sad you stopped reading. Was it perhaps you are not aware of the Catskill mountain chain? The Appalachian mountains and trail? The Atlantic ocean? Or perhaps a half dozen museums? A couple of thousand restaurants?

Tell me where you have a comprehension problem and I'll dumb it down for you.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:32 PM

233 posts, read 368,959 times
The way I see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
FROM USA TODAY ONLINE:

"Some places get such a build-up that they can't possibly live up to their reputation. Visitors leave having checked off their bucket list, but feeling vaguely unsatisfied. But occasionally a destination delivers big time, says Jamie Wong, founder of XXXX, a site connecting visitors to locals who offer insider tours and travel advice. "Even in the hyped up world of travel, some places are truly remarkable," Wong says. She shares some favorites with Larry Bleiberg for USA TODAY."

1. The Grand Canyon YES
2. Vancouver ??
3. Martha's Vineyard ??
4. Savannah NO
5. Austin NO
6. Berkeley NO
7. Baja California, Mexico ??
8. New York City YES
9. North Shore Kauai ??
10. Paris YES

I agree with all these! And of course, I'm not biased!

10 great places that live up to their reputation

Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
How sad you stopped reading. Was it perhaps you are not aware of the Catskill mountain chain? The Appalachian mountains and trail? The Atlantic ocean? Or perhaps a half dozen museums? A couple of thousand restaurants?

What do the Catskills or Appalachian's have to do with New York City? I think both those areas are great, but they're not NYC.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 PM

399 posts, read 882,772 times
Quote:

Not aware of a mountain chain that I grew up near?

Not sure what museums and restaurants have to do with it, but perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension considering they weren't in bold.

NYC is a concrete jungle. A top city in the world, but nature is not a reason anyone moves there. Sorry.

If NYC is great for nature lovers, then what is Denver?

Last edited by JMT; 10-07-2013 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Please watch your language.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
If NYC is great for nature lovers, then what is Denver?
Greater for nature lovers.

Last edited by JMT; 10-07-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Y'all are forgetting that this is ONE PERSON'S OPINION and not a scientific survey.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:

Did someone go and move NYC and not tell me? I wasn't aware that there was any mountain chain running through the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City