Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:59 PM

612 posts, read 843,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
a second-rate class cesspool like Bmore
You lose credibility with statements like this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Ranking the Best Basketball Cities in the Country | Bleacher Report

Today though the DC area is producuing better talent this ebbs and flows, neither is generally devoid either way

Old 10-13-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Ranking the Best Basketball Cities in the Country | Bleacher Report

Today though the DC area is producuing better talent this ebbs and flows, neither is generally devoid either way
The Flyers are more popular than the Sixers, and it seems every sports team in the City of Brotherly Love with the exception of the 76ers gets support even during the down times, yet Philadelphia's supposed to be a basketball hotbed. Why is this @ the Philadelphia crew?

Old 10-13-2013, 02:26 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
The Flyers are more popular than the Sixers, and it seems every sports team in the City of Brotherly Love with the exception of the 76ers gets support even during the down times, yet Philadelphia's supposed to be a basketball hotbed. Why is this @ the Philadelphia crew?
It does have a great college Basketball scene though.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It does have a great college Basketball scene though.
That still is no excuse for a supposed basketball hotbed's professional basketball franchise to be outranked by the hockey and soccer teams

Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,017 times
Quote:
This doesn't make any sense...
Basketball is not synonymous with the NBA--especially not in Philadelphia. There are a lot of Sixers fans, but Philadelphians as a whole don't want to get insulted by management that doesn't care about the fanbase or the product that's put out. It's not really that the team is bad--fans have supported bad teams before--but that there isn't a perception that management is at all interested in pursuing a winning team. Now, I think that's not completely fair and I know I will watch all the Sixers I can this year (despite them having the potential to set a record for futility), but I can't say I care much for the ownership.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Basketball is not synonymous with the NBA--especially not in Philadelphia. There are a lot of Sixers fans, but Philadelphians as a whole don't want to get insulted by management that doesn't care about the fanbase or the product that's put out. It's not really that the team is bad--fans have supported bad teams before--but that there isn't a perception that management is at all interested in pursuing a winning team. Now, I think that's not completely fair and I know I will watch all the Sixers I can this year (despite them having the potential to set a record for futility), but I can't say I care much for the ownership.
That's no excuse not to appreciate what you have, and show the team some love

Old 10-14-2013, 04:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
That's no excuse not to appreciate what you have, and show the team some love

You do realize the sixers have outdrawn the wizards the last two years? There is a dynamic with the sixers though as a city hopps is pretty popular, especially on the playgrounds

http://www.apbr.org/attendance.html

Also FWIW - there have been more NCAA tourney gams played in Philly than any other city in the US

Palestra etc. a great heritage

Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You do realize the sixers have outdrawn the wizards the last two years? There is a dynamic with the sixers though as a city hopps is pretty popular, especially on the playgrounds

http://www.apbr.org/attendance.html

Also FWIW - there have been more NCAA tourney gams played in Philly than any other city in the US

Palestra etc. a great heritage
People seem to be forgetting just how popular college basketball is in Philly.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:47 PM

192 posts, read 160,688 times
Quote:
Last February, on a Saturday, the Villanova Wildcats played a Big East afternoon game at the Wells Fargo ctr--sell out of about 20,000 fans. The 76ers played that same night at the Wells Fargo ctr, in front of about 17,000 fans.

Across the river in University City, that same night, PENN played in front of about 7000 fans at the Cathedral of Basketball (if you don't know what that is, you probably shouldnt be in this discussion).

Up North Broad Street, that same night, Temple hosted an A-10 game in front of about 8000 fans at the Liacouras Center.

Then, out on City Line Ave, up on Hawk Hill, St. Joe's played in front of 5000 fans

Plus the prep hoops scene... Almost 60,000 people were paying to watch basketball in the city that night.

No other city offers the breadth of hoops action that Philly can. The Flyers draw more in attendance, not sure if their TV numbers are better (which is a better indicator of popularity)--but that should show you what kind of a sports town Philly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City