U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you feel is overall better?
Burlington, VT 4 30.77%
Morgantown, WV 1 7.69%
Boulder, CO 8 61.54%
State College, PA 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:50 PM

5,335 posts, read 7,745,478 times

Advertisements

Never realized how nice of a city Burlington was until last weekend. I plan on going back tomorrow and thought that this would be a good comparison thread seeing how I'm very familiar w/Morgantown, and have visited State College several times. All four are similar in ways, but also have there differences. All three are mountain college towns, have tourism tendencies, and have a high energy downtown/main street.

In the follow which city would you select, and in the poll which one do you select over all?

things to do
proximity to recreation
proximity to other cool towns
better college campus
architecture
modern aspects
dining
shopping
economy
healthcare
education
scenery
parks
nightlife
art scene
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 10:25 PM

39,986 posts, read 31,607,804 times
Burlington, VT is great, but the cost of living vs wages/job opportunities ratio is atrocious. Love my years there, but there are better, more balanced, college towns. Can't comment on the others well. Only been to a PSU football game. Sadly, too, UVM hasn't received the funding from the state that a flagship school should and as a result its academic rating has been slipping over the past couple of decades.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 AM

72,193 posts, read 99,691,104 times
Not to hijack the thread, but you may like Ithaca NY too.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:15 PM

5,335 posts, read 7,745,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but you may like Ithaca NY too.
funny that you bring that up, because my friends just got back from Ithaca today and said it was a blast!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:53 AM

334 posts, read 456,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Never realized how nice of a city Burlington was until last weekend. I plan on going back tomorrow and thought that this would be a good comparison thread seeing how I'm very familiar w/Morgantown, and have visited State College several times. All four are similar in ways, but also have there differences. All three are mountain college towns, have tourism tendencies, and have a high energy downtown/main street.

In the follow which city would you select, and in the poll which one do you select over all?

things to do
proximity to recreation
better college campus
architecture
modern aspects
dining
shopping
economy
healthcare
education
scenery
parks
nightlife
art scene
I actually plan to go to Burlington, VT in August simply because I've never to Vermont. It's basically an overnight trip. Good to know some really good things worth checking out other than the University of Vermont.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:38 AM

2,159 posts, read 3,873,774 times
Burlington in a landslide. I think Boulder is way overrated, one of the most overrated places in the country. Burlington is much greener & lusher, historic architecture everywhere, set right on a huge beautiful lake, 1.5 hrs from Montreal. No contest.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 AM

25 posts, read 32,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post

things to do
proximity to recreation
better college campus
architecture
modern aspects
dining
shopping
economy
healthcare
education
scenery
parks
nightlife
art scene
Once you head out of WV a bit you'll be surprised how nice most places are, even compared to the nicest places in WV.

Morgantown is like the Mecca of West Virginia, yet it mostly comes off as a dumpy, rundown rust-belt city compared to anywhere outside of the Ohio River Valley.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 AM

10,541 posts, read 18,757,042 times
Again not to derail, but anyone have anything on Morgantown? Some of those old WV towns are fascinating to me, but I really don't know much about them. I'd love to go. They seem pretty dense and urban from google maps, but those only really give a fraction of the picture. What about the people mover in Morgantown?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:33 AM

25 posts, read 32,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Again not to derail, but anyone have anything on Morgantown? Some of those old WV towns are fascinating to me, but I really don't know much about them. I'd love to go. They seem pretty dense and urban from google maps, but those only really give a fraction of the picture. What about the people mover in Morgantown?
Despite my cynicism (above), Morgantown is a pretty neat place. It's one of the few cities in WV that you could describe as walkable (portions of Charleston and Huntington comprising the others), and having an actual public transit system (albeit tuned towards student areas) is pretty nice. The University brings in a lot of young, educated and successful people and the surrounding landscape is very nice. There's a decent job market and a fair amount of things to do, but the weather is crappy (think Pittsburgh) . It is one of the few places in WV experiencing a net positive growth and with actual new construction, so it's got that going for it too.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:43 AM

5,063 posts, read 5,294,457 times
Morgantown is a pretty, but strange city. WVU attracts a lot of students from NJ. So it's a bit like Jersey Shore meets Appalachia. Morgantown has a very high rate of poverty, so you have this college full of party kids from the NE surrounded by these very poor local Appalachian families. It was very surreal.

WV is a gorgeous state, but Morgantown was not my favorite city. I really like Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City