Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle or Tacoma
Tacoma 9 47.37%
Seattle 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 PM

765 posts, read 898,373 times

Advertisements

Seattle is a boom town right now. Everyone and their mother is moving there and there is a lot going on but it is also becoming extremely expensive. On the other hand Tacoma, formally known for it's ghetto-industrial feel has undergone a major renaissance within the past decade or so. I have lived in Tacoma my whole life and there have been milestone improvements. It is really becoming a very nice city and is different than Seattle. There is a very creative, artistic culture here and it's present throughout the city with it's murals, glass sculptures, street art, and people and it makes this city very unique. Also, as of recently, there has been a lot more foot traffic as well as restaurants and other small businesses opening downtown. I think it's a great place to live but what is the public opinion? Would you give it a try over Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
In the same light that someone will try Oakland over SF

Tacoma is ok. It is more rough-edged and lower-end than Seattle but it's not "unsafe" in the sense compared to other parts of the US or world. To answer the OP though- no I'd just move to Seattle.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:57 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times
I wouldn't live there. Just a more boring version of Seattle, and Seattle is already boring as it is. I personally wouldn't live in either and instead just go to the Eastside, particularly Bellevue.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Would I give it a try over Seattle? No. Though its 30 minutes south imo it seems like a world away. You simply don't get the great shopping, great restaurants, cultural amenities, nightlife, professional sports, festivals, cool neighborhoods that Seattle has. In this case you really do get what you pay for. Tacoma has improved tremendously over the last decade, including its downtown but Tacoma Mall took away any chance of stores returning to downtown. Occassionally I would visit especially the Taste Of Tacoma festival.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:06 AM

484 posts, read 882,469 times
I don't think I would.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:53 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,006,421 times
No, I would not.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:09 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Given the choice, I'd actually prefer living in Tacoma to Seattle.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:23 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
In the same light that someone will try Oakland over SF

Tacoma is ok. It is more rough-edged and lower-end than Seattle but it's not "unsafe" in the sense compared to other parts of the US or world. To answer the OP though- no I'd just move to Seattle.
Honestly, Oakland has much more going on than Tacoma(and it's easier and quicker to get to San Francisco from Tacoma as well) and I don't believe there's a neighborhood like Montclair or Rockridge or Grand Lake in Tacoma.

Tacoma always seems like it has potential(the downtown and surrounding area has a cool setting and nice old architecture) and the museums are nice, though while they seem to try to reinvent and reinvest in the area much of downtown just feels sort of dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City