Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would be the best for a European to experience "Americana"? Post a Poll
Oregon 8 15.38%
Missouri 21 40.38%
Oklahoma 2 3.85%
Kansas 4 7.69%
Indiana 15 28.85%
Oklahoma 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:57 PM

10 posts, read 19,557 times

Advertisements

I have gathered research on another thread and have whittled it down to the states listed in the poll. I have never been to the USA before but don't want somewhere touristic. I come from Holland and want to experience the America portrayed in films and on TV.

Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 03:54 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Really all of those state are part of "Americana." But what does "Americana" mean to you? If you want to contrast America from Europe, I would recommend Texas.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
What's "Americana" mean to you?

If I had to chose one of these I guess I would suggest Kansas City Missouri. But really all of these states and the cities in them would make it difficult to do much without a car.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:58 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
What TV and movies?

There are sets from places as diverse as NYC & LA to rural outposts .... while not all are necessarily true to the location, the general feel they are trying to get out is typically American

Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Really all of those state are part of "Americana." But what does "Americana" mean to you? If you want to contrast America from Europe, I would recommend Texas.
Arizona or New Mexico would be a far better contrast.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:08 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
If by "Americana" you mean a small town in the middle of nowhere, cornfields, apple pie, etc, then I would recommend a state like Kansas or Oklahoma. If you actually plan on traveling around the state though, then I would recommend Illinois. You'll have a large and diverse city with Chicago, but the rest of the state outside of Chicagoland is predominantly rural and small town. The state's racial breakdown is also the most similar to the US as a whole.

If you aren't interested in a large city, however, then, again, I would say a state like Kansas or Oklahoma.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
If by "Americana" you mean a small town in the middle of nowhere, cornfields, apple pie, etc,
How about Milton, Delaware? It also has the Dogfish Head brewery for when you realize that "Americana" is overrated.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
If by "Americana" you mean a small town in the middle of nowhere, cornfields, apple pie, etc, then I would recommend a state like Kansas or Oklahoma. If you actually plan on traveling around the state though, then I would recommend Illinois. You'll have a large and diverse city with Chicago, but the rest of the state outside of Chicagoland is predominantly rural and small town. The state's racial breakdown is also the most similar to the US as a whole.

If you aren't interested in a large city, however, then, again, I would say a state like Kansas or Oklahoma.
Most of Oklahoma leans too much towards the South to be tried and true "Americana". It certainly looks like Anywhere, USA, for the most part, but the same can hardly be said for the culture.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:33 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Indiana.

The Midwest is the most distinctively "American" region of the US, and Indiana (along with Iowa) is the most quintessential Midwestern state.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:16 AM

345 posts, read 455,932 times
What a great question - their are a lot of flavors of Americana and you will surely find it in the states you have listed. The best way to see the Americana that you would like is of course, by car (i.e., a "road trip") and covering a large swath of the landscape. I would recommend minimizing driving on interstates and four lane U.S. highways. My preference is usually to take two lane state highways which are usually wide open, not so much covered in traffic, and will get you to the great places you are looking for.

I have been lucky enough to visit all of the states, and although not on your list, Iowa and Nebraska come closest to "Americana" for me. Places like Cedar Rapids and especially Omaha (visit during the College World Series in the summer) really impress me as strongly representing Americana.

Another option is to take the full route 66 road trip (many web sites dedicated to that) from Chicago to L.A., although unfortunately a lot of that is interstate now.

Here is a web site that might give you a few offbeat places to visit:

Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City