Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 12:57 PM

592 posts, read 589,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Nope. Yall are wrong, it's not that they have ports, it's the importance of the port. Handling 2/3rds of the nation's produce is Huge. Nashville, Charleston and Savanah doesn't have that cache of products handled.
Having a busy port alone isn’t the only factor that gauges the importance of a city, though it can be a contributing factor or else both Savannah and Charleston would be tier one US cities and can claim more importance than Atlanta, Dallas etc. Especially since both are top 10 ports for shipping containers for a variety of products in the whole country, not just produce and agricultural items.

Having said that, though both the ports of Savannah and Charleston are very important to the economy of the country both cities are very small in population and GDP thus they’re hardly in the conversation as some the countries top movers and shakers for business. Typically a cities economic importance is measured through both economic output or GDP and population.

Now if we’re arguing cultural importance I’d say New Orleans trumps Nashville and a host of other cities purely based on it’s unique history, architecture, people etc.

Last edited by jkc2j; 05-18-2022 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 06:49 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
None of yall have posted anything in Nashville comparable to handling 65% of the nation's agricultural products. All I've seen so far is a bunch of yall saying other places have ports. Do these other places handle 65% of the country's agricultural products?

Old 05-18-2022, 07:26 PM

40 posts, read 27,191 times
I'd rather visit New Orleans, but live in Nashville.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:06 PM

592 posts, read 589,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
None of yall have posted anything in Nashville comparable to handling 65% of the nation's agricultural products. All I've seen so far is a bunch of yall saying other places have ports. Do these other places handle 65% of the country's agricultural products?
Based on your position, Savannah is the fourth largest container port by volume in the US so I’d say yes. Seems pretty significant to me, as huge shipments that arrive from abroad pass through the port of Savannah. New Orleans is not even listed in the top ten.

Last edited by jkc2j; 05-18-2022 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-18-2022, 08:55 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Based on your position, Savannah is the fourth largest container port by volume in the US so I’d say yes. Seems pretty significant to me, as huge shipments that arrive from abroad pass through the port of Savannah. New Orleans is not even listed in the top ten.
The port of South Louisiana is the port system between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. That's why.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:10 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
When did Nashville top New Orleans for music, and why do you think that is? Corporate presence is where Nashville shines but historically speaking New Orleans is pretty much #1 pound for pound in the country.
I think Nashville, Memphis, and New Orleans are virtually tied for "music" broadly speaking.

Quote:
Nashville definitely hasn't eclipsed New Orleans as far as national or international popularity. It may he more important due to its economy but New Orleans will probably always be more popular or famous.
One could argue that Nashville is well on its way to being as popular/famous as New Orleans, albeit in slightly different respects. But no one can dispute the fact that New Orleans has been at it for waaaaaayyyy longer.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Mutiny I agree. Nashville is as popular, it may be even more popular than New Orleans.

In terms of importance though....
How important is what goes on in Nashville to the midwest for example? All that grain grown in the midwest goes down the Mississippi and shipped out via New Orleans.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:39 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfromtenn View Post
Ports are automated now so they don't contribute to city growth like they used to. Nashville also got its start because it was the intersection of the Natchez Trace and Cumberland. The Natchez Trace ran down to Natchez, MS, and was used heavily by people traveling upstream from New Orleans before steamboats allowed travel against the current, so New Orleans was important to Nashville's growth.

Nashville, like other Southern growth cities is inland and can grow in four directions. New Orleans is a little wedged in there with the Lake, the River, the floods, and the wetlands. Unlike the rest of the country, Southerners don't want to turn a land constrained city into a high rise paradise with few outlying options for sprawling single family developments. So the geography that made New Orleans an important city 200 years ago is now working against further growth.
This is something a suburbanite would say. New Orleans is not the same as Covington.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think Nashville, Memphis, and New Orleans are virtually tied for "music" broadly speaking.
I'd definitely disagree. I am biased but neither city invented a genre of music which influenced other genres like hip-hop, soul, rock, and blues. Neither city has a Cash Money or No Limit records like history.
I think Nashville can be its equal but only due to the corporate presence and recording studios. Which doesn't weigh as heavily as the amount of musical history New Orleans has.

Quote:
One could argue that Nashville is well on its way to being as popular/famous as New Orleans, albeit in slightly different respects. But no one can dispute the fact that New Orleans has been at it for waaaaaayyyy longer.
Maybe in the US but definitely not around the world. I know Nashville is getting popular but people don't gush over Nashville or it's hot chicken nearly as hard as they do about almost everything in New Orleans.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:03 AM

12,824 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Maybe in the US but definitely not around the world. I know Nashville is getting popular but people don't gush over Nashville or it's hot chicken nearly as hard as they do about almost everything in New Orleans.
I don't even think it's true in the U.S. Nashville is having a moment for certain and I don't see it slowing down. It's arguably the more livable city already and it certainly has a stronger (and growing) economy. It's more easily accessible from most of the country (this is a big reason people I know will spend a weekend in Nashville over NOLA). But in terms of character and appeal to visitors (both domestic and abroad), New Orleans has centuries of established tradition and unique regional culture. It takes a long time and a whole set of unique circumstances to build something like New Orleans. Nashville may very well eventually end up with the same mass appeal that New Orleans has, but it won't be for 100+ years. Both cities have their nightlife and music scenes which cater to the masses, but there's so much more depth to to the history, food, culture, neighborhoods, etc. in New Orleans than there is to Nashville. And it's a good deal more unique. Once you leave Lower Broadway or finish checking out the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, it starts to feel like you could be almost anywhere. That's not true of New Orleans, and that's part of the reason I don't ever see NOLA being surpassed by Nashville in terms of intrigue and appeal to outsiders.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:28 AM

155 posts, read 127,241 times
There's no denying New Orleans culture identity. The New Orleans culture is one of the most unique places in the US and there's no way Nashville will come close. However speaking from an economics, education, crime, location, and growth stand point Nashville is ahead. One huge advantage Nashville has is how centrally located the city is in the US. In a 3-8 hours drive, you can reach most cities in the South and Midwest. This is important logistically for truck deliveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City