Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:54 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,759 times

Advertisements

Architecture
Culture
Education
Economy
Entertainment
Food
scenery
Healthcare
Liveability
National importance
Nightlife
Regional importance
Shopping
Sports
Transportation
Urban neighborhoods
Potential
Diversity
Overall

Last edited by BayAreaDave; 12-07-2013 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Skyline comparisons are not allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 05:57 PM

82 posts, read 128,324 times
Overall, I'd say New Orleans is better architecture wise, culturally, shopping, nightlife, etc. Both cities have good music to them, but New Orleans is just generally a bigger city with more things to do.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:22 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Architecture: New Orleans
Culture: New Orleans
Education: Nashville
Economy: Nashville
Entertainment: Toss up
Food: New Orleans
Healthcare: Nashville, NO is coming up though
Liveability: Nashville
Music: I choose New Orleans but honestly a toss up
National importance: New Orleans
Nightlife: New Orleans
Regional importance: I think New Orleans because it doesn't have any large city close by it and New Orleans has a huge sphere of influence for a city it's size. Can't help but think Nashville is overshadowed by Atlanta and is less influential due to cities like Louisville, Birmingham, and Memphis being so close.
Shopping: I have no idea.
Sports: New Orleans only because of the location of the dome. Otherwise it's a toss up, large SEC schools close by, and two professional teams in each city.
Transportation: New Orleans? I would think the streetcar lines serve a larger population, urban at that.
Urban neighborhoods: New Orleans
Potential: IMO, New Orleans
Diversity: New Orleans seems slightly more diverse per Wikipedia
Overall: New Orleans-10 Nashville-5

Note: Didn't realize Nashville was only 1.5m, thought it was at least 1.8m.

Last edited by JMT; 12-07-2013 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Skyline comparisons are not allowed.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:30 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
New Orleans wins:

Architecture
Culture
Food
Nightlife
Diversity*

Nashville wins:

Education
Economy
Entertainment
Healthcare
Potential
Transportation
Overall

A Tie:

Music
National importance
Regional importance
Sports

The last two will depend on personal preference:

Urban neighborhoods
Liveability

* Nashville is pretty diverse, but I have to hand this one to NO. It has been diverse for a long time.

Last edited by JMT; 12-07-2013 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Skyline comparisons are not allowed.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:35 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Architecture: New Orleans
Culture: New Orleans
Education: Nashville
Economy: Nashville
Entertainment: Toss up
Food: New Orleans
Healthcare: Nashville, NO is coming up though
Liveability: Nashville
Music: I choose New Orleans but honestly a toss up
National importance: New Orleans
Nightlife: New Orleans
Regional importance: I think New Orleans because it doesn't have any large city close by it and New Orleans has a huge sphere of influence for a city it's size. Can't help but think Nashville is overshadowed by Atlanta and is less influential due to cities like Louisville, Birmingham, and Memphis being so close.
Shopping: I have no idea.
Sports: New Orleans only because of the location of the dome. Otherwise it's a toss up, large SEC schools close by, and two professional teams in each city.
Transportation: New Orleans? I would think the streetcar lines serve a larger population, urban at that.
Urban neighborhoods: New Orleans
Potential: IMO, New Orleans
Diversity: New Orleans seems slightly more diverse per Wikipedia
Overall: New Orleans-10 Nashville-5
I agree with most of this. Without checking, I think Nashville probably wins on shopping. I'd also give Nashville the edge in potential because it's been fulfilling its potential for a while now, whereas New Orleans really only turned the corner after Katrina.

Quote:
Note: Didn't realize Nashville was only 1.5m, thought it was at least 1.8m.
Metro Nashville has 1.7 million people.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree with most of this. Without checking, I think Nashville probably wins on shopping. I'd also give Nashville the edge in potential because it's been fulfilling its potential for a while now, whereas New Orleans really only turned the corner after Katrina.

Metro Nashville has 1.7 million people.
I'd agree on shopping too. I just think New Orleans is in a better geographic area to be the largest and most important city within a much larger area than Nashville. I feel it's economy has a larger impact on the nation, not in GDP, but if New Orleans goes under again, it would have a larger impact on the lives of Americans than Nashville. What New Orleans is doing now is astonishing for any city that has it's kind of history. I'm certainly not saying New Orleans has more potential, just I think it's in a much better region and time in it's history.

The CSA puts Nashville at just under 1.7m, MSA at 1.58m, that's what Wiki says.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:54 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Nashville isn't close to an SEC school; an SEC school (Vanderbilt) is in Nashville, just a few blocks from downtown. In addition, there are three other NCAA Division 1 schools in Nashville (Belmont, Lipscomb, and Tennessee State) and MTSU, another FBS school, in the MSA.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-07-2013, 07:05 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,759 times
I believe the SEC basketball tournament will be calling Nashville home from now on. Also three women's tournaments will be played.

Nashville set as SEC men's tournament home, sources say - ESPN

Old 12-07-2013, 07:05 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I'd agree on shopping too. I just think New Orleans is in a better geographic area to be the largest and most important city within a much larger area than Nashville. I feel it's economy has a larger impact on the nation, not in GDP, but if New Orleans goes under again, it would have a larger impact on the lives of Americans than Nashville. What New Orleans is doing now is astonishing for any city that has it's kind of history. I'm certainly not saying New Orleans has more potential, just I think it's in a much better region and time in it's history.
I agree.

Quote:
The CSA puts Nashville at just under 1.7m, MSA at 1.58m, that's what Wiki says.
Those are some outdated figures. This list of MSA populations is typically up to date and also accounts for the revisions that occurred earlier this year: List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Nashville isn't close to an SEC school; an SEC school (Vanderbilt) is in Nashville, just a few blocks from downtown. In addition, there are three other NCAA Division 1 schools in Nashville (Belmont, Lipscomb, and Tennessee State) and MTSU, another FBS school, in the MSA.
Forgot about Vanderbilt.

I was just thinking of UT.

Tulane (in the city), Nicholls State (hour away), Southern U (hour away), U of L (2ish hours away), Southeastern Louisiana (metro), and UNO (city) are all Division 1. Let's not act like 1 extra school in the metro is that much of a difference. Our teams might be better too. UL meets Tulane in the New Orleans bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City