Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these southern states will be the first to pass same sex marriage?
Texas 38 25.50%
Louisiana 4 2.68%
Mississippi 2 1.34%
Arkansas 6 4.03%
Alabama 0 0%
Tennessee 8 5.37%
Georgia 33 22.15%
North Carolina 56 37.58%
South Carolina 2 1.34%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:55 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,663,615 times

Advertisements

I'm going to have to say Virginia will be the first Southern state to legalize same-sex marriage, probably a year or two after Pennsylvania does. My prediction is that Pennsylvania will have a new socially liberal governor in January 2015 to replace incumbent Tom Corbett, an increasingly unpopular social conservative who opposes same-sex marriage. His successor will legalize same-sex marriage in PA in 2015. In Virginia a socially moderate Democrat, Terry McAuliffe, will be sworn in as governor in January 2014, replacing socially conservative Republican Bob McDonnell. McAuliffe just NARROWLY defeated his opponent, Ken Cuccinelli, a very socially conservative and anti-gay Republican, which is why I don't yet think Virginia will be ready for same-sex marriage during McAuliffe's tenure. With that being said assuming another moderate Democrat (or Republican) ascends into the gubernatorial office in Virginia in January 2018 we should see VA legalizing same-sex marriage in 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 04:42 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,323,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Florida is also part of the South, sure we do have a more Spanish/Caribbean influence to our culture, but we do have Southern Culture mixed in as well. We also have some notable gay communities here, such as Key West.

However I don't think any southern state (Florida included) will ever legalize gay marriage. This is the south, we are more conservative, especially socially (nothing wrong with that). Here in Florida most people are against gay marriage. I would like to point out that despite what gay activists and liberals like to say, just because a person doesn't support gay marriage doesn't mean their a homophobe or that they hate gays. I don't support gay marriage (I do support Civil Unions with equal benefits for gays) but I don't hate gays at all.

I think it's going to be a stalemate issue, some states will allow it, some will not.
I completely disagree.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:53 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,962,148 times
The last time I checked both Florida and Virginia were is the South.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:32 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,860,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm going to have to say Virginia will be the first Southern state to legalize same-sex marriage, probably a year or two after Pennsylvania does. My prediction is that Pennsylvania will have a new socially liberal governor in January 2015 to replace incumbent Tom Corbett, an increasingly unpopular social conservative who opposes same-sex marriage. His successor will legalize same-sex marriage in PA in 2015. In Virginia a socially moderate Democrat, Terry McAuliffe, will be sworn in as governor in January 2014, replacing socially conservative Republican Bob McDonnell. McAuliffe just NARROWLY defeated his opponent, Ken Cuccinelli, a very socially conservative and anti-gay Republican, which is why I don't yet think Virginia will be ready for same-sex marriage during McAuliffe's tenure. With that being said assuming another moderate Democrat (or Republican) ascends into the gubernatorial office in Virginia in January 2018 we should see VA legalizing same-sex marriage in 2018.
I think you'd need a liberal legislature and I just don't see that happening for a while because of how conservative the rest of the state is outside the major population centers.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:50 PM

654 posts, read 945,946 times
Why aren't Virginia and Florida choices? Virginia will be the first to pass, and then Florida. There's little hope for the rest, except maybe Georgia, as they are filled with Bible-thumping, fire-breathing religiously fanatical homophobes.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 PM

484 posts, read 883,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Why aren't Virginia and Florida choices? Virginia will be the first to pass, and then Florida. There's little hope for the rest, except maybe Georgia, as they are filled with Bible-thumping, fire-breathing religiously fanatical homophobes.
Because of that reason. I wanted to know which of the more conservative southern states people think will pass it first.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 PM

75 posts, read 140,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Florida is also part of the South, sure we do have a more Spanish/Caribbean influence to our culture, but we do have Southern Culture mixed in as well. We also have some notable gay communities here, such as Key West.

However I don't think any southern state (Florida included) will ever legalize gay marriage. This is the south, we are more conservative, especially socially (nothing wrong with that). Here in Florida most people are against gay marriage. I would like to point out that despite what gay activists and liberals like to say, just because a person doesn't support gay marriage doesn't mean their a homophobe or that they hate gays. I don't support gay marriage (I do support Civil Unions with equal benefits for gays) but I don't hate gays at all.

I think it's going to be a stalemate issue, some states will allow it, some will not.
Boy, I believe you are in for a shock in the coming years. Marriage equality will come to Florida, Texas (where I reside) and other Southern states as time goes by. How much time remains to be seen but this year alone, states allowing same sex marriage have literally doubled! That's eight states in one years time, including Utah of all states. Plus, many of today's younger generations, in ALL states are supporting marriage equality and other LGBT rights, while many of the older generations are not. This will only work in favor of marriage equality as the older generations die off. This train isn't going to stop and while I see some socially conservative states as being an obstacle to marriage equality, they will definitely not deter it.

Not to get off topic as you did, but Marriage is marriage! It's between two consenting adults. You can call it a Civil Union, Skim Milk or whatever you may like so that you feel your heterosexual marriages hold more weight but it's still marriage. Quite frankly it's rather discriminatory to call it by anything else. Also, maybe the more appropriate word you are looking for is bigot, rather than homophobe.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 PM

654 posts, read 945,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Because of that reason. I wanted to know which of the more conservative southern states people think will pass it first.
Okay, got it. Of the hardcore conservative states, I'd say GA. At least you have Atlanta, a fairly liberal large city, and a city which attracts a lot of transplants from more progressive parts of the country. That being said, I think you're a long way off, because GA is still mostly rural, and still very much a Bible Belt state. You need to get those people out of the 12th and into the 21st century (which isn't going to be easy!) before you can even think about anything relating to LGBT rights.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:31 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,944,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I would have picked Virginia.Florida is a wierd state.No telling which direction they are going.
Don't forget that most Hispanic Americans are Catholic and are opposed to gay marriage. While there certainly a transplanted liberal elite in South Florida I don't think they can outvote the conservative Christians in North Florida, or the blacks and Hispanics.

It may happen in Texas unfortunately with all the liberal transplants. And with Texas being conservative, I think its much more fiscally conservative than it is socially conservative. Houston has a gay mayor now. Fiscally Texas is more conservative than Arkansas (which has a distressing number of Democrats on the state level!!!) but socially its not as conservative as the Deep South. While I am against gay marriage, that is not a major issue for me....abortion, illegal immigration, and taxes/welfare reform are the most important for me. its more important to stop the expansion of abortion, stop Obamacare, stop illegal immigration, stop gun control, and fight the EPA and the liberal taxes and regulations that kill jobs than to fight gay marriage IMO.

What makes Texas one of the best states in America its its pro-business envrionemnt, low taxes, less regulations compared to other parts of the country.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:32 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,551,741 times
I would go with Virginia.

(Why aren't Virginia and Kentucky on the poll?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City